Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere CC slow in response

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently upgarded to Adobe Premiere Pro CC and I notice that it is very slow in response and there is like 10 seconds lag for every step I do. I notice my computer goes up to 30 percent of workload. The problem arises when I am going from one sequence to another sequence, it lags or copy something in a sequence and then it lags. I have been using CC for 4 months and I did not have a problems with CS6. But this really annoys me.

My computer specs:

CPU i7-920 3.6gHz OC

48 GB of RAM @ 1466Mhz

Quadro K5000 with latest drivers

5x2TB at RAID 5

250gb OS SSD around 140 free space

120gb SSD - Around 40 free.

My cache drive was 120gB SSD, even I change the cache drive to RAID5 drives, it doesn't make a difference.

Now, when I export to render to Adobe media encoder, it takes 10sec. It used to take a sec to do that with CS6.

Is there something I could change in the settings that would make premiere pro faster in response?

I am looking forward for your reply.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just went to the store and bought a new computer just to test this issue out before I gave up.  Same thing is happening,  Slow in response, rendering time is doubled.  I give up.  Both of these machines are running Windows 8, maybe that is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it on Windows 8 myself without any such issues.  You're not using a project that was started in CS6, are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I am not. But I do have tons of titles in the project. I just did a test. With no titles, it encodes in almost real-time with GPU on (still double the amount of time it took with CS6), with titles it is taking about 3x real time even though the yellow bar on top of the timeline indicates it does not need additional rendering. It seems as though it takes the longest when there is a motion effect applied to the title (manually keyframed animate in).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my tests, exporting through Adobe Media Encoder no longer uses GPU acceleration like CS6 did, even if you have it turned on for the project.  So those longer encode times do not surprise me.

You can still perform a direct Export, though, and get that acceleration back.  (You just can't do anything else while it exports.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media encoder never used GPU. I am talking about straight from Premiere, not Media Encoder.

Chris Thibault

CHRIS TEEBO FILMS

413-650-5524

<http://www.christeebo.com> www.christeebo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media encoder never used GPU

It did when you queued up a sequence from Premiere Pro CS6.  It no longer does with Premiere Pro CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Chris

I've always found the same thing with motion effects, they do seem to drastically increase encode times.   Same with titles if you have a lot.

I always assumed its because I don't have professional skills and have learnt through books, forums and experimentation so I do it in a less efficient way than a pro editor would.

Would it make a difference if you did the animation in After Effects and imported it as a composition? 

I'm by no means an expert on encoding but do sometimes wonder if codecs are fully optimised for the hardware capacity now available.  Is some of due to the number of file formats and the fact that the codec has to be able to handle slight variances of each proprietary Manufacturer's format, so can't be fully optimised for every single one.   I know there are supposed to be all these standards but with the sheer number of hardware devices out there, is that really the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a MacBook Pro using Adobe Premiere CC. It used to work fast until I did some updates and now my i7 Macbook is running super slow. It just took 2-hours to render a 15-minute timeline with just one title at the beginning. I typically use Adobe rather than Avid Media Composer to do these smaller projects and to render for the web because it's faster. Just not in the past 10-days or so...I hope Adobe gets it fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updates were for Adobe Creative Cloud - not to programs on the MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Premiere Pro will reset the "supported cards" text file.  You will have to reedit or delete that to get acceleration back for AME exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2013 Sep 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem!  Interestingly my Sony VAIO Duo 13 Ultrabook is pretty light on it's feet with Premiere but my custom built NLE frequently runs into these problems.

The result is that I can often load a project faster in the ultrabook and some projects I can actually edit faster!!?  The ultrabook has a satisfyingly powerful Corei7 but no serious graphics capabilities to speak of, so rendering is software only and it bogs down a lot when working with compressed formats like AVHCD.  I got it just to use it's Wacom digitizer for Photoshop and Illustrator but on my last video, I got frustrated with my desktop NLE machine and cut it on my tiny laptop.  (Did it in the car on a road trip.  Fun to be able to!  But vastly less than ideal for anything very professional.)

My problem is that Once my desktop NLE is running, it can churn through very complex native editing like a dream.  It's just that every time I need to change what the program is doing, it takes an exceedingly long time to load new components of the program, i.e. bringing up an effects panel or the audio mixer.  My assumption is that once everything the program needs is loaded into ram, there is no problem, but the program is somehow interfering with computers reading and writing to the C: drive where the program is held.  Maybe it is creating is some issue with ram caching to the C: drive that is slowing things down.  After working with Premiere the problem persists and it takes equally long to open other programs.  I had similar problems this summer with the CS6 AVHCD bug in this thread.  This is not as bad, but seems very similar in its manifestation.  There is no longer any connection to any one codec.  Instead, the problem seems to emerge as Premiere has been running for a while.  Or after opening Premiere, closing it and then reopening with out a system restart in between.  A project imported from Final Cut Pro 6 via XML was particularly problematic, but the problem is sporadic so it was hard to tell if it was that or just a couple of bad days.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. 

Here are my specs:

• Windows 8 Pro x64
  • Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Graphics: GTX 660 ti
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Thunderbolt
  • C: drive:  OCZ-Vertex 4  (120GB / 45 free)
  • D: drive:  Contains Premiere Projects (16TB, RAID 0, 4 SATA3 drives on Intel Rapid Storage Chipset)
  • E: drive:  Contains User Folders  (1TB  SATA3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone made any progress on this? I have the same problem on a brand new iMac 3.5ghz i7. I receive project files from a CS6 user, but I have to edit them in CC to use MPE with the iMac, and the performance is dreadful and unpredictable.

I feel like I'm right back to the stupid AVCHD bug all over again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry man, the upgrade to Windows 8.1 did the trick for me and some others I have spoken with.  My guess is that's why this thread has been dormant for some time.

Glitches with a project file may cause erratic behavior.  Your post seems to imply that you are only having trouble with a project that you imported from CS6.  If that is the case, you could get around that by exporting your project as XML and reimporting as a new project to reset any project related issues without loosing much editing progress.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its only trouble with CS6 imported projects. These are multi-camera projects and I need to maintain all the nested timelines and such. XML does away with all that...doesn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multicam is well supported in XML.  It shouldn't be a problem.  The things you are more likely to have trouble with are filters, color correction, titling and any transitions over and above simple dissolves. 

In any case, nothing can be lost by trying, since your original project will be uneffected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Zach,

I was on your same page, on my Mac I brought 2 projects from cs6 believing cc would do it better, same lagging problem.
The footage was coming from a Canon DSLR (h264, 1080, 24p). So I had the settings as (new sequence from clip), raw as the material, nothing changed, the lagging and audio out of sync was happening all the time. Then changed the settings to .....believe me here ARRI Cinema, keeping the same frame rate and size, of course, (you'll lose the renders you had before). That improved the rendering time and didn't lag anymore.
Coincidence, I don't know, I'm going to try on my 2nd project, but has worked for me so far.

UPDATES!

Nevermind the ARRI Cinema settings didnt work on my 2nd project. I actually tried that because when I created a sequence from clip, it said Arri instead of DLSR, don't know why.

Tried XML from cs6, didnt work either.

Don't wanna give up, just going to keep trying, don't know why one project worked and the other one didnt. Both with similar filters (Gamma correction, 3 way color). And only 3 clips had added Warp Stabilizer.

Let's stay in touch!

Message was edited by: Cris_K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2014 Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 Seconds of beautiful lag.

I'm working on an hour long docu. Created in PP 7.1 but updated to 7.2.1. Not very complex with a couple of vids on track 3 at most. When I am zoomed out to view my entire timeline everything slows to a crawl. Jut moving the cursor or trying to zoom in one step takes 8 painful seconds. I've turned of waveforms and thumbnails with no fix. The only way I can edit is by zooming into the timeline only then is it more responsive. That suggests to me that PP 7.1.2 is loading all clips into memory when zoomed out. Can someone please tell me why it would need to do this and why it would croak so badly. My system stats show I've got 8 gig of memory still not being used by premiere out of 16. I've worked in AVID & FCP and have never seen an edit package do this. Even if I go up to the file menu it takes yup 8 seconds for anything to show. Really? Anyone have any suggestions other than rolling back to 7.1? Because if I recall correctly I wasn't having this problem until the 7.2 update. Unfortunately I can't verify and be sure without actually rolling back which I would prefer not to. 

Mac Pro 3,1 8 core

16 gig of ram

OSX 10.8.5

CC PP 7.2.1

GTX 570 2.5 gig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try these steps to troubleshoot. This will let you know the exact

nature of the problem.

1. Try starting a new project using the same footage after a reboot.

(If that fixes your problem it was due to problems with project file

and can be solved exporting the project as XML and reimporting into a new

blank project file)

2. If the problem still persists, Reboot again and try a new project with

footage in a different codec. (like a very standard intermediate codec

i.e. Avid DNxHD or ProRes).

(If this fixes your problem, obviously transcode and replace all your

footage.)

3. If the problem still persists, you have a problem with your Premiere

installation, It may be conflicting with other programs or background

processes installed on your computer. Check what other video related

programs you have or what programs could be calling on Quicktime background

processes.

Good Luck!

Gabriel Armstrong Pass

<http://gapmedia.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll troubleshoot these and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely uninstalled premeire pro, rolled back to 7.1 and everything worked as it should. What a relief.  I could scrub the timeline as expected. So I thought maybe it was a fluke maybe I should update to 7.2.1 just to see if it was a one time issue and sure enough 7.2.1 was crazy slow again. Same issues as before. It would take 8 seconds to zoom in one step from a full zoom out. Based on that alone would you not consider this a premiere pro update issue? What exactly got broken. Mind you this is only one of several other issues that I've encountered in the new update. I'm rolling back as I write this to 7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found a solution and Thanks for the heads up about 7.2.1 !

Gabriel Armstrong Pass

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if it's relevant to your case, ReubenFink, but the 7.2 update introduced problems with certain AMD GPU cards. See Peter's post in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5985267#5985267

This thread might also be worth a look: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5934916?tstart=30#5934916, specifically Post #6. I suspect the post piersfh refers to is Post #7 here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5930977#5930977.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark,

I went over the threads and I don't think the GPU issue applies to me since I'm running a cuda card. Plus the same behavior shows up even with software rendering switched on. Plus it happens after all media is loaded so nothing is being indexed. The only one that seems to be relevent is the thread about Preview File Formats.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5930977#5930977

All my footage on this timeline is mpeg or directly from the .mxf mpeg files off of sony cams. So that might be the culprit. Is this a bug? Is it due to starting a project in 7.1 then updating in the middle of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>

Is it due to starting a project in 7.1 then updating in the middle of it?

That is one of the things I suspected. Again exporting to XML and

importing to a new project would solve that problem.

But I have learned that version updates during an edit is something to stay

away from in any NLE.

Gabriel Armstrong Pass

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the project is complete I will try the XML as a test and report back. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines