Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro Automatically Crops Source Video Upon Import

Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really confusing me and I've never had this kind of trouble before.  I have source videos that are 720x480, but as soon as I import them into Premiere, they are cropped to 540x480.  It's not a problem with sequence settings or anything, because the imported source file is cropped before it's even in a sequence.  I tried looking on-line for a solution, but couldn't find any.  Does anyone know how this can be fixed...maybe some import settings that I don't know about?

Here are some screenshots to visually represent what I was saying:

This is properties of the videoWorkouts.jpg

This is what Premiere automatically does right after the video is imported as a sourcePrtScr capture.jpg

This is a screenshot when played with VLC:Adobe Premiere Pro - MVideo ProjectsFreshman Outreach 2013Promo Video.prproj .jpg

This is a screenshot when played from the source in Premiere:PrtScr capture_2.jpg

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  This video is due Saturday and all my footage is cropped, please help me.  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Premiere does not support .MOD files. Never has. If they worked in the past, you were lucky.

Changing the extentie to mpg might work or else convert. (even heard mts and avi)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gilles.bihan/converio_095.htm

Have seen this before with someone who wanted to use .MOD files in CC.

I have a few .MOD files and tested it in CC and yes they get cropped.

Good alternative for these files would be Adobe Elements.

or file a bugreport.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does not support .MOD files. Never has. If they worked in the past, you were lucky.

Changing the extentie to mpg might work or else convert. (even heard mts and avi)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gilles.bihan/converio_095.htm

Have seen this before with someone who wanted to use .MOD files in CC.

I have a few .MOD files and tested it in CC and yes they get cropped.

Good alternative for these files would be Adobe Elements.

or file a bugreport.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides Ann's suggestions, I notice that the Premiere monitor window looks like 4:3, but your footage is aparently widescreen judging by the VLC screen shot. What are the sequence settings being used? What happens if you choose "DV Widescreen" for the sequence, place your clip in the timeline, and then use Motion to change the scaling - if you scale down, can you then see the rest of the image that was previously cropped? You might also right-click a clip in the bin and check Modify > Interpret and see what the settings are. If it says "1.0" pixel aspect, you can change that to widescreen if need be.

Hope this helps. I had a client give me .mod files once, not fun.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The clips get cropped on import. Premiere does not interprete them correct and you cannot correct that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I appreciate the help, but as stated in the original post, the video is not part of a sequence, so sequence setting do not apply to my problem—it's the source file directly imported to Premiere that is cropped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just experienced this problem too

720 x 576 cropped to 540 x 576

very frustrating - spent the entire evening trying to fix it : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same problem.

I copied a VOB file from a DVD, import it to PP CC 2014 and it cropped down from 720*576 to 540*576.

It is no JVC cameraproblem. I think it is a PAL 16:9 converting problem. When did Adobe bugfix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I have no issues importing PAL dvd vob's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know what the problem is. But it must be a Bug in CC 2014.

Now I installed PP CS6 an it can import the VOB file(720*576, 16:9,PAL,lower frame) with the right resolution.

CS6 products download:

CS6-Produkte herunterladen

It used 6h on a sunday for fixing this problem to remaster a DVD for a client...this is terrible for such a expensive product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please file a bug report.

FEATURE request 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11.  Re: Adobe Premiere Pro AND Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Automatically Crops Source Video Upon Import

My AP Elements (version 13) has exactly the same bug. I have a DVD where 25% of every VOB file's images' right border has been cut away during the inserting phase into Elements. No adjusting of frame and pixel aspect ratios, black borders narrow or wide, project settings automatic or manual do not help. Gone is gone. But the same VOB files play normally (100% image) in many other players/editors. I have experimented with VLC and Wondershare Video Converter. 

On the other hand Elements is able to read correctly other DVD's VOB files. See discussion about this very same bug in Elements thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked perfectly for my issue. I already had the videos in Mpeg format so format was not the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a life saver. My images kept getting stretched to fit the aspect ratio of the project. I couldn't figure out how to fix the distortion. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm that the latest ME CC, AE CC and PP CC are still incorrectly importing/interpreting/cropping native 720x576 PAL material to 540x576 automatically, no combinations of settings of any kind change anything about this problem. The above suggestion to bring footage into Media Encoder CS6 is correct, there are no issues with native PAL 720x576 within ME CS6, no aspect ratio or other errors whatsoever, it just works like it should. This is one of the most basic functions and is sorely missed, very strange to think something as simple as this has been taken for granted. This is a bug. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann.  Unfortunately changing the extension didn't do anything.  Thank you also for that video converter, I was looking for one for a few hours earlier, but there was something wrong with the outputs, be it quality or the red frames of despair when imported to Premiere.  I eventually used a different video editing program (NCH Videopad) just to export the videos to mpg format, which worked pretty well.  However, I am excited to try this program for the next clips I have to convert so, again, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hey guys i imported mp4 (1080x1080) file in adobe premiere and make changes like color grade but when i export it and play its zoom in like 1080x500? how to fix that? my export settings is match source high bitrate h.264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here  the program cant see 720x before import go: file->get properties for->file   and it just see 540x576 not 720x576 hmmm.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actual PP CC2014 (Feb. 2015) fixed this problem. Now I can import VOBs with full scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a bug. I use many differrent formats in my workflow and sometimes depending on the source the video will be saved squeezed to a 4:3 format. That's all it is. All you have to do is change the horizontal scale to 150%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the footage does get cut off. I have tested it.

Premiere interprets the footage wrong.

It modifies 720x480 into 540x480. Interprete the footage does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then sorry, I never had that problem and like I said I use all kinds of formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is thrad number 10 in this forum

PP CS 6.0

or now PP CC2014 Feb 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC14 febr 2015 I dont understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the actual PP2014 from February 2015 ( Version 2014.2 Build 8.2.0 (65)). In this actual version the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines