• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RickerC,

Does not occur on Windows. On Mac, OpenCL isn't working for you?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please understand that this is not directed at you for not having more info, Kevin.  My point is that someone that IS "working hand in hand" with NVIDIA (or someone from NVIDIA) should be in this forum explaining the situation and giving us a timetable.  Frankly, not doing that = "we don't care."

People bitch and moan about the subscription plan, but I'm okay with it.  What I'm not okay with is using creative software from a company that has lost its connection with, and empathy for, its user base.  One good customer advocate cannot fix a relationship with a soulless corporate entity.

I always find it incredibly childish when people bring up competitors or threaten to move to a different product on a forum like this ("I'm taking my $50 and going somewhere else!"  Big deal.).  But... BMD not only has a potentially great product with Resolve 12, but also an attitude that says "we make money making the coolest products possible" as opposed to Adobe's "we do what we need to do in order to keep people subscribing"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌not sure I could have said it better myself, Eric. I hope competition will cause Adobe to get up on their toes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

Please understand that this is not directed at you for not having more info, Kevin.

OK, thanks.

My point is that someone that IS "working hand in hand" with NVIDIA (or someone from NVIDIA) should be in this forum explaining the situation and giving us a timetable.  Frankly, not doing that = "we don't care."

One of our engineers, Peter Garaway has been working on this issue and has commented a number of times. We are waiting for another company on this issue, so there's no way we can provide any specific dates on a fix.

Adobe does care about this issue. That's why I'm here giving you info. Right now, there is no new info. But I'm still here swinging the bat on behalf of you and all on this thread.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin and all,

Haven't been active here all summer with a few exceptions venting frustrations or supporting others venting their frustrations. The reason is simple, all of June, July and August, I was out there busy shooting. Yes no computer work for three months, isn't that great? Almost forgot some commands when I got back in front of my screen this last Tuesday. Well I have some possible good news. During the summer the only thing I did on my computer was transfer my memory cards to my storage drives, edit a few photos of BTS or making of for my Facebook fans and posting on FB. Oh and of course read all the nasty messages in this forum...hahahaha Even replied to some!

Well lot's have happened in 3 months, I've seen Driver updates and OSX updates and Plugin updates and what not. As always when an update is announced I install it and when I started the week back on the editing chain gang this Tuesday I had a brand new computer with everything updated to the latest version including Adobe Creative Cloud CC 2015 and NVIDIA latest drivers. So I went one step at a time. I worked on a short film in Premiere Pro not using CUDA only OpenCl and all went fine. I created seven very big Timelapse sequences in 4K using the usual software combinations, Lightroom, LRTimelapse, After Effects and these files were huge as the all had more the 700 images some up to 1500. Then from After Effects I thought hey let's give CUDA a try so I rendered these huge files by sending them over to AME and rendered them using CUDA.

Wow nothing happened it did not crash the computer as it used to do back in May and the files rendered perfectly. I did note though that the speed albite using CUDA was not what it was last time I used it to render similar size fils. So that was the good news late last night. But I wanted to do more work this morning before making this announcement. I added these files to my Premiere Pro timeline which already had some real time video clips in it and this time prior to adding the huge clips I activated CUDA and low and behold everything went soothly, no glitches, no crash. I finished the edit a few minutes ago and rendered the final version which has loads of effects, links to AE compositions, Neat Video Noise reductions, GBDeflicker deflickerings and what not. Everything went smooth, no crashes but not as fast as what I had been used to witness when using CYDA if it did not crash. And NO GLITCHES. Including using Chrome while I was doing all this and still am...;-)

So something happened and because I only just started using it again after three months of inactivity I can't really say which updates made a change. Everything on my machine now is using the latest updates to everything that has been updated in the last three months.

I know,I know, many of us had these high moments experiencing no glitches but they came back so for now just wanted to share this moment and let you know I will be back if and when...........;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nobilis

I have both fingers crossed and hope you are right!...I have deliberately stayed clear of CUDA for the last week as my recent experience (after the last update) was not good...experiencing a crash when I least needed it..and so vented my frustration on this forum at the time.

I have had a week of no trouble so here's hoping you are right!

Let's hope everyone keeps an eye the stability and report back here either way. There are a lot of people with vested interests in this.

PS It really is great to get out film! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Halycon,

before testing with CUDA I made sure I had most of my critical work done in PP this morning and had a copy of the project saved in addition to the project itself saved. Than and only then did I change the settings and added CUDA to try things and work on this file on stuff that was finetuning the edit to then finally take the jump and attempt to render the project using CUDA. You should try it also with finished completed project and not while working on something critical...;-)

The more of us try it the more we will know if it is stabilized.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just updated premiere to the release on 9/14/15 and tried reinstalling the CUDA driver.  I've been in premiere all day without any trouble.  I believe the issue is FIXED!  This will be great seeing that premiere has been giving me problems since december!  Hope all is well with everyone else.  I'm running iMac 10.10  i5 and two monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to disappoint you buddy and all the rest but I have been so busy working on a couple of projects with deadlines I did not take the time to update my last optimistic report from Sept 4th that sounded just like yours. It did not last. After a while the glitches came back, not as brutal and not causing crashes as I was prudent and did not push the machine. When I saw the glitches come back I simply went and turned off CUDA in the settings. Not uninstalled, I never did that I just select to work in the Software only mode...slow but reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blast!  well..  I guess I'll work with it untill then

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenCL

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure which one is faster between CUDA and OpenCL. Its likely they are similar, or CUDA has a slight advantage. Most of the benchmarks I've seen use CUDA on NVIDIA and OpenCL on Radeon chipsets.

They are similar technologies. OPENCL still offloads work to the GPU, still uses the NVIDIA driver, and is still likely to cause artifacts and crashes based on responses in this thread.

The only *safe* way to work right now is software-only until NVIDIA releases a stable driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Glitch.jpg

just to give you a bit of humor and have laugh

it's made with photo from this forum

i wait for a fix soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, under the right circumstances it would be a pretty cool plugin to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought I'd chip in what's been happening to me.

MBPr October 2013 (2.3 i7, 16gb, Gefore GT 750m) i.e. the "maxed out" one at the time.

Dec 2014 - Feb 2015: 10.9.5, frequent kernel panics (GPU) when using Premiere / Davinci Resolve, but not any glitching really.

March 2015: New logic board, still some kernel panics, updated to 10.10

March 2015: Loads of glitching almost immediately after updating to 10.10

April 2015 (today): Another new logic board, still glitching.

So after 2 new logic boards, both of which glitching, I'm a pretty firm believer either this is a software problem, or a fundamental problem with these 750m chips!!!

I'm usually editing 1080p ProRes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beauchampy,

Replacing hardware won't help a driver problem. You might want to read through the rest of the thread, but the short of it is, NVIDIA is aware of the problem and are working on a software solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jevchance - I only discovered this thread 20 minutes ago, so still getting up to speed, but thanks. Kudos to Apple though for replacing my logic board twice (first time in just three hours, today in just one), even though that doesn't seem to be the problem! God bless em.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is my current story with this problem.

We have 3 Mac Pros (5,1) and a couple of Macbook Pro Retina's 2012-2013.

Mac Pro's all have the same GTX 670 Nvidia graphics card.

Everything was working perfectly up till around late 2014 on all devices

After that point, it has just been a world of crashing, and glitching and freezes in premiere pro.

Happens randomly, but on screen glitching is a sure case that the computer is about to have a complete freeze and lock up, ending in it having a kernel crash and restarting with the ability to log a crash report, which i've been doing.

Each error, definitely states something to do with nvidia drivers.

I have tried rolling back CUDA drivers, always getting the latest. Nothing is helping. ITS 100% a CUDA driver issue, as the only way I can stably render anything out, is to turn of CUDA mercury playback and just use CPU. Extremely slow render times. I cant just use CPU only when editing, as I layer stacks of effects on 4k footage, everything will work perfectly until just randomly, sometimes 8 times a day, sometimes only 4, the computer will throw its graphical glitch, or maybe catch you off guard and just plain lock up and restart.

Takes around 10minutes to get my project back up, and ready to go, not to mention the 5-10minutes of lost work.....

This definitely just started out of the blue, and it is definitely related directly to NVIDIA drivers.

Going to take my macbook pros in on the repair program, cause hey, i'll take a new logic board, although I know for sure its got nothing to do with that.

Considering running windows on bootcamp and dropping osx altogether. Pretty much considering ditching mac, and going to HP Z840's for new machines, I know this isn't mac's fault directly, but i'm just over this, and the latest mac pros design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been led to this thread from various places on the web. I've been experiencing the same problem since upgrading to Yosemite.

I use After Effects CC and the Element 3D plugin. I'm getting the exact issue as described and pictured by others, but I'm also getting these artefacts within Element 3D, for example there would be artefacts in reflections on 3D objects. These would sometimes show in the preview window, but normally I wouldn't see them until after something was rendered.

element-problem.jpg

Top: Artefacts within a 3D object. Bottom: How the object should actually look.

I almost had to abandon a project for a major UK broadcaster because this issue was so bad, luckily I was able to bodge it and nobody noticed! Now I'm having to limit my work to animations which are as simple as I can possibly get them, in the hope this will somehow reduce the risk. This is my main income so I'm quite worried. I will invest in new hardware if needed, but is there anything I can do as a temporary fix? I've tried closing all apps, restarting, then using AE alone, but it still happens.

I initially contacted VideoCopilot but after digging it became clear this is an NVIDIA issue, and one which has been ongoing for some time for a lot of people. I understand we're waiting for a fix from NVIDIA. In the meantime do I update CUDA to 7.0.36 (currently 6.5.45) or just leave the hell alone?

Any guidance is appreciated!

Lee

iMac 27in late 2012

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

32GB memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048MB

CUDA driver 6.5.45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Element 3D plugin is using the GPU, look for a check box or preference within the Element 3D software to disable GPU acceleration. I do recommend an update to your software. Do not update until many of us start posting about how we are no longer having the issue. Do not rely on a release note for any updates about any fix contained within.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee,

I use After Effects CC and the Element 3D plugin.

You might want to post your info on the After Effects forum.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEWWWW!

complete computer glitch and auto restart!

pick up the phone NVIDIA!

premire pro glitch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I' have tried to open a post on the official forum of Nvidia User forum that I found in the support page http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html I hope someone will give me answers, if I keep you updated, I think you also have to write to him so they understand the gravity of the problem it is inside the Forums>Support>GeForce Drivers here is the link to the post: Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer with Adobe CC, Davinci, and any software that use CUDA Driver https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/830852/glitches-screen-amp-crashes-computer-with-adobe-cc-d...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to open a post on the official forum of Nvidia User forum that I found in the support page nvidia.com/page/support.html I hope someone will give me answers, if I keep you updated, I think you also have to write to him so they understand the gravity of the problem ,

it is inside the Forums>Support>GeForce Drivers

here is the link to the post:

Title:

Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer with Adobe CC, Davinci, and any software that use CUDA Driver

(https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/830852/glitches-screen-amp-crashes-computer-with- adobe-cc-davinci-and-any-software-that-use-cuda-driver/#4524214)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chums,

I'd like to add my self to the growing list of people with issues.

I have been cutting 1/2 doc (was supposed to be ready for today!) and everything was going swimmingly until I started to apply filters & grade. All of a sudden I started getting heavy glitching and random images blocks on playback and rendering. Nothing I have done, from re-plumbing my hard drives to creating a new project & turning off the Mercury Engine has helped. Fortunately I have been able to export an XML file and recreate my edit in FCP7. But there is one sequence that i need to render out some clean footage from (as I have the filter for PP but not for FCP7) and I have tried to output a  Pro Res MOV file about 5 times in the hope that I can then chop chop chop it up to get a useable sequence from it.

I am running a 2013 iMac with 3.1ghz i7 processors & 16GB RAM with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB card.

Premiere Pro was a decent investment for me (I run my own small production company) and the next logical step on from the defunct FCP7. I simply cannot afford for PP to crash and burn on me and frankly the reliability of this product is now called into question.

Kevin, I appreciate that you seem to have drawn the short straw on this, but please be aware that we have all invested in this product becuase we are (most of us any I am sure) running businesses. We need our tools to do our job. We pay a lot of money for this software and IT HAS TO WORK!

No pressure then!

Thanks for all your efforts..Please can we have a fix???

Andy Johnstone

Wild Dog Limted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines