• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Contributor ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open CL crashed my machine 10 times in an hour this morning.

Mac Pro 5,1

NVIDIA k5000

CC 2014, Premiere Pro 8.1 Caravan (8.2.0 65 build)

4k Quad-HD timeline with JPEG photos ranging from 3-5 MP. No effects. Just Kens Burn motion. Text overlays generated in Premiere.

Switched to CUDA and I'm getting dirty frames in my renders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open CL has been working well for me.  Which I know doesn't help you Nickelplate. 

I've also ceased using other programs (like chrome) when I run PPcc now. 

However, I can't even switch back to CUDA now.  Everything immediately turns Glitchy, I get that bad pixelation due to your graphic card (basically eating itself), and not to mention the program just shits the bed immediately. 

I was down then up...and now I'm losing faith again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think at this point we may need to question whether this will ever get fixed at all.  Really, what motivation does NVIDIA have for fixing CUDA on the Mac if there is now a major issue with OSX?  Are there any new Macs that sell with NVIDIA hardware?  A new Open CL/GL based API called "Metal" was just announced at the WWDC, so... 

The lack of ANY kind of timeframe from the NVIDIA rep on this thread and Kevin's "Open CL is working great for me...!" posts of late make me fear that they are just riding this out until we all get tired of this and move on... on our dime, of course.

adobe-cc-header.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of ANY kind of timeframe from the NVIDIA rep on this thread and Kevin's "Open CL is working great for me...!" posts of late make me fear that they are just riding this out until we all get tired of this and move on... on our dime, of course.

----Shit.  That's exactly what I think they're trying to do. We all know when a friend, girlfriend, family member is trying to give us the run-around until we eventually forget or give-in. 

We need to start a change.org petition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were possible to give you a timeframe for a fix, I'd definitely be happy to do that.  There are many variables at play here, and getting a working fix involves coordination between the different parties involved.  Because of that, providing a timeline is considerably more complicated than just being able to say that the issue will be fixed in driver xxx.xx.  The best I can do is to provide new information as soon as I'm made aware of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So with this new announcement of osx El Capitan touting better compatibility with Adobe and GPU acceleration.  Are our problems finally going to see the light of day? or is this going to F&*# my CC cloud worse than before i updated to yosemite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never ever update to a .0 version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear that. Def. was not going to update. I don't want to be the first brave soul to test out El Capitan.  Yosemite never even worked correctly. 

But on the heels of the announced update, does anyone have an idea of whether this could help us CUDA users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, Metal is added to OSX to make it easier for developers to access the GPU from within their code. I don't read anything about it being an improvement for existing apps. On an Adobe forum I read:"Adobe is announcing that it will be adopting Metal in all of its OS X apps. The company says that tests it did with After Effects showed an impressive 8x improvement in rendering". But to me, being around quite some time now, this has yet to pass the stage of wishful thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hasn't Yosemite been released for testing for a year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to Premiere CC 2015. No Cuda installed at all on this iMac

glitch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Persistent after reboot

glitch 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hooray.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you're on Mercury Playback Engine - OpenCL with your NVIDIA card?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct Kevin. I had Cuda installed but removed it by deleting the files as suggested by paulejonesy on this forum:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane

/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA

/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA

/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib

specs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to be completeL i removed the Cuda drivers the day this was post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  The errors with CUDA uninstalled and on OpenCL?

Kevin et al...any other word from NVIDIA on this?  We're at 17 months since this post was opened...

It seems from Apple's new Macbook Pro releases that we may be seeing the end of NVIDIA in Apple products.  Which indicates to me that we just may never see a fix.

I personally am going to open a ticket with apple to ask for a replacement of my laptop with a newer version with hardware that actually has properly written drivers.  This is pretty absurd.  I know that we professional users are a minority, but hell, my laptop cost $2900 because of that card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting proposal, to open a ticket and request the newer version. Do you have any information on how well the new Macbook Pro's GPU (AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory) is doing in regards to OpenCL in Premiere Pro and After Effects?

I would love for you to keep us posted regarding your communications with Apple!

Thanks!

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to propose a null hypothesis that CUDA is not the culprit but that it merely enhances the issue as it enhances other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right. It's been months and no sign of a fix. Well I guess when my editing backlog quietens down a bit I'll be taking my MBP back for it's third mainboard and when that doesn't fix the problem I'll be insisting on a new machine with an AMD chip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JCrowell,

Kevin et al...any other word from NVIDIA on this?  We're at 17 months since this post was opened...

Unfortunately, no. So sorry...
I'm still using OpenCL myself.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously nothing is going to happen with CUDA.  Ever.

So Kevin,  can you give us any additional insight on the road forward with El Capitan, Metal, etc.  Does it equal the playing field for NVIDIA GPUs for Adobe apps?  I've got a 2014 MBP with NVIDIA and a '09 MacPro with a GTX680 Mac edition.  The laptop and the GTX680 were purchased based on the HEAVILY PROMOTED AND PROMISED PERFORMANCE OF ADOBE PREMIERE AND NVIDIA CUDA. 

So Kevin, I think you'll understand that I and others do not accept the current implementation of OpenCL, and its drastic reduction in performance, as a viable alternative - no matter how much repetition of the phrase "I'm still using OpenCL myself..." and its many variants you deploy to convince us otherwise.  There are current and forthcoming apps I wish to use (like Resolve 12) that require Yosemite, and I resent Adobe holding me hostage in 10.9 land.  Its like being on Avid again.

CUDA for Mac is dead.  Where are we going from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and support Eric's position here. We have all been patiente enough and this has taken us nowhere. We have products that do not work as promised and as advertised. There are consumer laws that protect us against such practices. This is not good business for Abobe and if Adobe cannot arrive at a solution with their partners be they NVIDIA, Apple or whatever other partie involved is this disaster then Adobe needs to take positive and corrective actions towards it's clients. I also paid almost 5000€ for my iMac and switched from FCPX to Premiere Pro based on the promises that I would engage in warp speed levels using PP with CUDA Drivers and the GPU Apple installed on my iMac, Obviously none of this has occurred. I was for a long time one to support the efforts of Adobe with regards to this issue and recommended to all to use Mercury Software only to work temporary and trusted that Adobe would resolve this with their partners.

Obviously my trust has not paid off and I am now expecting a formal statement from Adobe and a suggestion to compensate their clients for their inabilities to use the Adobe products they way they were promoted and sold to us.

Please Kevin, do inform your higher level management that this has reached the highest level of frustration and that many in this forum will agree with me, WE just can no longer accept to be patient or at least not without a formal statement from Adobe that will tell us what they plan to do and how long they believe they need to achieve whatever plan Adobe has. No reply to this request and continuing silence from Adobe will only favor drastic measures taken by Adobe's clients.

Kind regards

Moderated by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: please do not discuss legal issues on the forum. See Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello NB,

I agree and support Eric's position here. We have all been patiente enough and this has taken us nowhere. We have products that do not work as promised and as advertised. There are consumer laws that protect us against such practices. This is not good business for Abobe and if Adobe cannot arrive at a solution with their partners be they NVIDIA, Apple or whatever other partie involved is this disaster then Adobe needs to take positive and corrective actions towards it's clients.

Sorry for this frustrating problem. In this case, I would ask our partners to comment on the current situation. We don't have any new information for you, as bad as that is to hear.

Please Kevin, do inform your higher level management that this has reached the highest level of frustration and that many in this forum will agree with me.

I have done so.

WE just can no longer accept to be patient or at least not without a formal statement from Adobe that will tell us what they plan to do and how long they believe they need to achieve whatever plan Adobe has. No reply to this request and continuing silence from Adobe will only favor drastic measures taken by Adobe's clients.

I have stated before that we are awaiting a new driver from NVIDIA to test and that has not arrived yet. The fact that no fix has arrived means that a solution is still being worked on by our partners.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin for not losing your cool and patient attitude with us. Can't say the same about some of us especially me sometimes! It is just so frustrating and of course my comments are also adressed to NVIDIA which I know are monitoring this forum. The problem though is we are not NVIDIA clients. NVIDIA sells their stuff to Apple and we use Apple computers. We are Apple and Adobe clients and both of these companies have made promises to their clients. I also know that the promises made by Adobe and Apple to their clients are based on expected performances from NVIDIA products. So as much as NVIDIA may be the origin of the issue we can only complain, cry to, yell at (sorry for that) and be pissed at Apple and Adobe. So please escalate this to the highest management positions as this has become a threat to your crdibility for future announcements of high performance products. WE collectively will have a hard time forgeting about this experience!

Again thanks for your patience with us Kevin, I really do not envy the position you are in!

Moderated by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: please do not discuss legal issues on the forum. See Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines