• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello BFrancav,

earned cash to Adobe, albeit excellent software innovations, are owed a bit more than an absolute silence on this matter. I find it unfortunate for myself, that after migrating from AVID to Adobe cc, a year ago August, in excitement to utilizing well-publicized Mercury speed ALONG with an advanced speech to text feature, that less than 3-months later BOTH FEATURES were disbanded.

Sorry about that. Not that many people used speech to text, and honestly, it did not work that well. Yes, there is licensing cost for many technologies like this, but also development costs for a feature that was not widely used needs to be taken into consideration. And that's not to say we're not looking into some kind replacement for that technology. Fortunately, you can still use speech to text in the current version, you just have to do the analysis in a previous version (which you can install from the CC app). We are getting off topic here, however...

Regarding the Mercury Playback Engine and NVIDIA CUDA: the issue is with OS X 10.9 and later on Mac and it's working just fine on the PC side. I assume you have a newer Mac and a MacBook Pro or the like.

It's possible to work in CC 2014 on OS X 10.8 for many Macs which do not have this issue. My 2012 MBP does very well in this configuration. For OS X 10.9 users and later who are forced into that OS (and especially those on OS X 10.10 and later), this problem is more pronounced. NVIDIA is working on a fix, but they have yet to provide one for certain Mac Book Pros. That is the issue at hand for most people on this thread.

That issue alone cost me days spent on the phone with a (apparently) confused and clueless tech support team.

Were you able to work with our dedicated video support agents? I find that they are pretty great with most issues. If you have a case number I can investigate that for you to make sure that does not happen again.

That's where I draw the line, especially as I draw upon my one-year cloud subscription -n August.

Of course we would hate to lose a customer. PM me if there's anything I can do to help this situation.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

Hello BFrancav,

earned cash to Adobe, albeit excellent software innovations, are owed a bit more than an absolute silence on this matter. I find it unfortunate for myself, that after migrating from AVID to Adobe cc, a year ago August, in excitement to utilizing well-publicized Mercury speed ALONG with an advanced speech to text feature, that less than 3-months later BOTH FEATURES were disbanded.

Sorry about that. Not that many people used speech to text, and honestly, it did not work that well. Yes, there is licensing cost for many technologies like this, but also development costs for a feature that was not widely used needs to be taken into consideration. And that's not to say we're not looking into some kind replacement for that technology. Fortunately, you can still use speech to text in the current version, you just have to do the analysis in a previous version (which you can install from the CC app). We are getting off topic here, however...

I never used it because it didn't work that well, so it's kind of circular logic to say that people didn't use it.  I tried a few many times, but it was crap even when I attached a full transcript as a guide.  This would be a very helpful feature if they could actually make it work, but it was just a marketing point.  I guess since Avid has (had?) it as well, they felt they had to try and match it. I assume it doesn't work any better in Avid either, but I don't really know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your responses, Kevin. I agree that the Adobe tech (personnel) support is pretty terrific. My hope here today, probably like everyone, is that  the alerts to this thread are becoming, signalling a growing problem, and getting louder. I see this collective frustration as a cry to awaken and garner support from ADOBE MANAGEMENT to the seriousness of this matter.

Speed and dependable convenience - AND SUPPORT is definitely a major factor in our (media) industry jobs. 

I would think that they (Adobe) selling a product with certain functionalities only to be abruptly unable to fix the product for anything longer than a reasonable period, before damages ensue, must be considered.

And while I really do appreciate the various workarounds offered, I have found the continuous reverting of software/s and OS' only leads to make matters worse.

Thanks again for your personal support of your loyal customers. At this point, I believe most if not ALL of us appreciate communication of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bfrancav,

I see this collective frustration as a cry to awaken and garner support from ADOBE MANAGEMENT to the seriousness of this matter.

By the way, I am Adobe management if you weren't aware. I am the Support Product Manager and sit at the same table as product managers of digital video applications. I have raised this issue to my colleague that is in charge of third party hardware vendor support, as well. Believe me, the entire department is aware of this issue. We're doing all we can.

Thanks again for your personal support of your loyal customers. At this point, I believe most if not ALL of us appreciate communication of any kind.

Thanks for your feedback. I am very sorry for this continuing issue.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin -

Like others on this thread I appreciate your attention and know that Adobe would like this issue to be fixed as much as we do. But it's difficult to keep that in mind when we're racing deadlines for clients and the stability of the software gets in the way.

I'm wondering-- is there some sort of tool you can give us to record what's happening on our systems? I can re-create Adobe Premiere Pro CC crashes on a consistent basis. I wish I could send your engineers a log of where in the code these crashes are occurring.

In short, are there any diagnostic tools you can provide us with so that we're actually contributing to the solution instead of just complaining about it? At the present time, complaining seems like our only option.

Thanks,

Oren

ps - Love the CC 2015 Morph Cut! Does it analyze the entire clip, or just the frames that are under my transition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi O Kaplan,

I'm wondering-- is there some sort of tool you can give us to record what's happening on our systems? I can re-create Adobe Premiere Pro CC crashes on a consistent basis. I wish I could send your engineers a log of where in the code these crashes are occurring.

Mac OS X crash reports, specifically the crashed threads and the lines that follow the thread are what we're interested in looking at. If you copy/paste just that portion of the report, it will fit into one of our crash reports. Any behavior that can be repeated or replicated 100% of the time is also what we're looking for in the bug report description.

Thanks for that,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue.

What solved this is 'not' by turning of CUDA support, BUT by COMPLETELY uninstalling the plugin altogether. Once you have completely taken CUDA out of the system (all folders included) your issue should go away.

Let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gavner,

I had this issue.

What solved this is 'not' by turning of CUDA support, BUT by COMPLETELY uninstalling the plugin altogether. Once you have completely taken CUDA out of the system (all folders included) your issue should go away.

Let me know

Actually, the issue is that customers want CUDA support. The fact that they can't use it reliably is the issue. Also that the problem has gone on since OS X 10.9 is also very frustrating for customers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been following this forum for awhile. In addition to the Premier Pro CC glitch I have noticed a problem in Photoshop CC. It may be the same type of thing or something different. When using keyboard commands to zoom in or out part or parts of the photo turn into black squares. I have screenshots on a different machine but can post them if that would help. I am on a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Cuda update... Can someone check to see if this fixes things and post back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Yes, I can...NO IMPROVEMENT.

Using CUDA (the update) caused a kernel panic which crashed my machine...prior to this the same graphic issues were evident. So absolutely no change. A complete and absolute failure and enough to make you boycott any Nvidia products now and  in the future. CUDA is as good as dead.

How ever I really do think that Apple must take responsibility here has well...it has also failed the users. It's about time this petty proprietary approach to everything they do has to stop, not to mention the lone running feud between Apple and Adobe (you can be forgiven for thinking Apple is deliberately screwing around with the stability of Adobe on Mac...in anyway they can!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my MacBook to Yosemite again, I figured there was no way these issues would still be happening in the new update. I was wrong, Guess I'm once again going back to Mavericks... which wouldn't even be that bad but I no longer have access to iCloud on any of my computers because of the stupid iCloud Drive thing. I contacted Apple just now and they basically just told me my only options were to use Mavericks or replace my iMac and Macbook with the latest models, which would run me over $3000 each. Not impressed.

Has anyone tried CUDA on OSX 10.11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me what other applications they've had the glitching issue with?  I saw mention of Resolve, FCPX, Chrome and Spotify earlier in the thread, but googling CUDA issues with other apps comes up empty for me.  I emailed macvidcards.com to see if they are still flashing the AMD R9 290x - which tested impressively on barefeats.com (http://barefeats.com/gtx980b.html).  Unfortunately, I believe it requires external power to the card. 

Although Premiere CC 2015 is increadibly buggy, and I'm sure Reslove 12 will be as well at launch, I'm really interested in a side by side comparison of these two down the road.  I don't think that will be possible without moving to 10.10.  There are a couple of other applications and features I'd like to take advantage of as well that are 10.10 exclusive.  Frankly, I'm also considering a Windows box at this point.  This is a good blog on that (although I'd go with a Titan X card):  How I Built My Monster Video Editing PC (Premiere Pro CC) 

I hate to be a downer, but I don't see a clear motivation by any party except Adobe to get the CUDA issue sorted - and they are obviously powerless...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌If you are on a Mac, just point everything to Open GL and forget about Cuda. Wasting time thinking there is going to be a solution.

Quite honestly there really is not that much difference and at least it's stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ with you Halycon Design. I am on an iMac and I agree with you that all glitches disappear when not using CUDA and working and rendering exclusively using Mercury Playback Engin Software Only, but the last part of your statement is not correct. I can render a short film in 4K or 2K using CUDA which will take me less than 20 minutes but the same file will require more than 2 hours to render. That is far from being NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Agree with you on that score...with heavy rendering I actually close every other programme and switch on cuda and keep my fingers crossed. So yes, I'll stand corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I should have qualified my statement with 'most of the time'...and yes I know it is blisteringly fast when it works.

In an ideal world the various parties would fix the problem, everyone would play well together and life would be a joy but short of a miracle, I just think that's not going to happen...the boat is getting too far from the shore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌By the way I can still use Open GL in hardware mode not software...It's catastrophe enough but if the Mercury Playback Engine was the only choice then that really would be a catastrophe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw there was a new CUDA update im running version 7.0.52 now is it any better? For me it was workable just to stay in CC 2015 render and work don't switch to especially photoshop then it would stay good. To use any other program i had to reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Far so good CC 2015 release latest cloud version with CUDA 7.0.52 running iMac late 2012 Yosemite 10.10.4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Been working on 3 projects with lots of effects and MB Looks for grading. Exported to H.264 No issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same setup, same card as mstrhanz and just tried rendering the same project I rendered yesterday using Software only but this time using CUDA and AME failed to complete the render while some glitches appeared on the screen. This version of the NVIDIA driver does appear to have some improvements but it is not the version that we can call the final and good one, sorry to report...;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to my last reply. I also just tried to do the same render using OpenCl and AME also failed. The only way I can render this project is using Mercury Playback Engine Software Only...;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a great time for RacerX2003 or another NVIDIA rep to pop in and say specifically if the latest CUDA release makes any headway with this issue.  I couldn't find any release notes with specifics on improvements or bug fixes.

In the meantime, I purchased a used Sapphire Radeon 7950 Mac 3GB card for my '09 MacPro - $280.  It does well against the GTX680 Mac Edition 2GB in this test:

http://barefeats.com/gtx980b.html

No Premiere tests unfortunately, but Resolve numbers look good.  Now I can upgrade to Yosemite and check out Resolve 12 when it rolls out, update my Media Composer software and get the new version of Keynote (we do some presentation work too).  Might also try iCloud Photos so I don't have to keep handing my phone to my wife because hers never has enough space for pictures...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue on my mid 2014 macbook pro retina. I was also having flash issues (spotlight search crashing, battery life depleted etc.), so I went to apple and got my logic board replaced and to see if it fixed this issue as well. Flash issues were fixed, but this glitching issue was not.

Issue was happening with premiere CC2014 and carried on to CC2015 even after updating my CUDA driver to 7.0.52.

Im posting this in hope to tag along with this forum until the issue is resolved

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines