• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running CUDA 7.0.52 now. Seemed better initially, now problems with glitches and system crash are there again.

I wonder, what are they thinking?? Why are they releasing updates which don't fix problems?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) 

3,2 GHz Intel Core i5

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up.

WIll definitely not be buying or recommending nvidia products to anyone.

Also, with my endless stability problems with premiere in general, I'm going to take a sober look at Resolve 12 ----

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having a similar issue, and it seems to be getting worse, only happened while I was exporting with Adobe Media Encoder, but now its happening as I am working on projects. I have the 15 inch Macbook pro, late 2014 model, with 750m Nvidia graphics and the upgraded CPU and Flash Storage. I did recently install CUDA drivers to help with exports, could that be the issue?
Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 11.28.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restrained jubilation...Just had success reactivating Mercury!

After complete removal of CUDA several months ago, I noticed this morning that there had been an update issued on July 2, 2015 by NVIDIAfor Mac OS 10.10.4 to version 7.0.36. So I reluctantly installed it, dumped all my previous preview files, turned Mercury back on, and BANG! back to speed - no issues.

I edited new footage and was again able to zoom through previewing unrendered (red) clips in the active time line. I also was successful in exporting using the Adobe Encoder with no crashing and no corruption to my screen.

I remain hopeful that I am fully awake and just not in a mind-bending dream state.

pinch me, please 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a recommendation on another site to try a fresh install of Yosemite, so I wiped out my system entirely and reinstalled everything step by step.... including installing NVDIA drivers and CUDA before CC 2015.

I installed Premiere - everything worked great

Then I turned on CUDA in Premiere - everything worked great

I installed AJA drivers for I/O and turned on Mercury Transmit - everything worked great

Then finally, I installed plugins. I applied Looks from Red Giant, and then I got the glitches of death

Are any of you who don't use GPU intensive plugins getting glitches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - I've heard this recommendation too about installing CUDA before Adobe apps.

I don't use any GPU intensive plugins. I get the same glitches after a time just working with Pro Res proxy rushes, that require no rendering.

Having said that I used CC2015 for the first time last night, and noticed a) how much smoother it was performing, particularly with ProRes rushes, which I guess is what Adobe have promised and also b) after about an hour of experimenting didn't get any glitches. However I've also heard how buggy it is at this stage in general so I'm reluctant to move projects over to it just yet, until the next patch is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course there are some of us, but that would be an understatement..I would risk to say that ALL of us get glitches using when using CUDA regardless of using plugins or NOT! If you've read thru the long list of comments you would have avoided all that work to re-install your system. The only way not to get glitches and crashes is to use either OpenCL or Software only engines. End of story! And of course this is beyond unacceptable given most of us purchased machines and applications that promoted the increase in speed and productivity and for over a year now our machines are crippled and we perform at speed levels that date back to oh well I can't even remember those years!!!!!

This is pathetic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I've been tracking this thing for a year and knew there was a fat chance.

The thing that's strange is I know a few others with CUDA working across several different setups. Do you guys known anyone who's not getting glitches with CUDA on Yosemite?

And honestly, why are Adobe / Apple/ NVIDIA refusing to share details on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly if we knew anyone we would know how they do it and if there are people out there not having these issues well they haven't been around this forum looking for solutions hence we don't know if they exist...but I doubt it. There is a saying in French "Les gens heureux n'ont pas d'histoire" translated to English and placed into context "Happy people never make the headlines, the media only reports catastrophes"...;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2015 Jul 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone experienced this problem on a *full sized* graphics card in a Mac Pro? Or does this problem seem to be exclusive to the mobile chips found inside MacBooks / iMacs?

I'm thinking design flaw. No way would a software problem take this long to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I'm using a gtx680 mac edition (official card, not a hack) and it's been a total disaster since Mavericks. Worked beautifully prior to that os update. It's certainly a cuda issue, but seems to have been prompted by the changes in Apple OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue on my "hackintosh" as well as my macbookpro. The

hackintosh had a gtx 760 in it. I formatted it back into a windows pc and

have no issues. (A hackintosh is a Windows computer with the Mac OS

installed on it natively)

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 7:43 AM Dominic Witherow <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Yes, unfortunately that's exactly what I am working on using GeForce GTX680 Mac Edition on a very revved up MacPro.

So sadly not the chip in the MBP's or MB's Or at least not restricted to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to ask this as a general question to anyone who is still following this discussion. Is anyone using an AMD graphics card with an Apple computer or Apple OS and experiencing these issues? For example, the new 2015 MacbookPro with force touch has AMD, the 2013 MacPro also has dual AMD Fire Pro graphics cards. Has anyone noticed any significant performance issues or differences wile using the Nvidia graphics cards while comparing the Mavericks OS to the Yosemite OS, or any Apple OS prior to Mavericks, while still using some type of Nvidia graphics card? I was recently able to do a minimal amount of troubleshooting with Mavericks again, and I didn't notice graphics anomalies during these tests, I did experience glitches and choppy playback, but nothing as serious as I've seen with Yosemite. Can anyone confirm that they had any better luck with any one particular OS, again, this is while using Nvidia Graphics cards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you were asking for AMD but I did want to say I don't have any of this issues.

I'm hoping maybe in some small way this might help all of you.

Here is my Systems report:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B15

SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fe9

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3776

gMux Version: 4.0.8 [3.2.8]

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Sorry in advance for the long post! I have been reading this thread for many months now!)

cokeefe02  I have a Macbook Pro with AMD. I have never had the glitches on that machine. In terms of Mavericks vs Yosemite, many have said that they got the glitches on Mavericks, that has not been my experience, though I've had lots of crashes in Premiere when using CUDA. I upgraded to Yosemite last fall and immediately experienced the glitches. I downgraded back to Mavericks.

Wayyyyy back then I did some testing in Yosemite using the "Web Drivers" that nVidia provides. When using the web drivers I was unable to reproduce the glitches. This suggests that the problem is not CUDA, but as you suggested the OS X driver that Apple builds into Mavericks and Yosemite. I have reported this to Adobe and nVidia in the hopes that a driver update would be pushed. It is also why CUDA updates - in my opinion - cannot solve this problem.

Even if nVidia pressed Apple on this, I cannot imagine how low on the priority list this would be for Apple to fix. In my experience it is quite rare to see a driver update pushed down by Cupertino, which is why nVidia provides the web drivers online for folks using cards like Quadros and such in their Mac Pros. These web drivers are updated with every point revision of the operating system, whereas the built-in driver provided by Apple is only updated when the entire OS is updated. If you look at CUDA in your system preferences, you'll see the GPU driver version listed underneath the CUDA driver - and you'll notice with each CUDA update that the driver version does not change. For example, no matter how much you update CUDA, in Mavericks 10.9.5 your driver version will be 8.26.29 (310.40.55f01). The web drivers install driver version 8.27.29 (334.01.03f04). Again, this is the GPU driver which controls the GPU for the whole system, not the CUDA driver.

The reason I harp on this is because so many people have said that they still get glitches in Open CL mode. This was my experience in testing as well. If we are getting glitches in Open CL, that suggests to me that the underlying driver provided by OS X is the issue, not the CUDA driver.

I have already heard from other users that they don't want to go through the hassle of installing the web drivers on their machines, and that is completely understandable - these things should work out of the box, especially with non-custom hardware from Apple. I am mainly posting this information again in the hopes that it might reach the right folks and get a driver update pushed, as well as to mention this to folks who haven't read every post and been on this journey as long as folks like Nobilis Bellator and Halcyon.

At the office we have a Hackintosh set up to fool around with, it is running a GTX980 on Yosemite using the NVidia Web Drivers for 10.10.4. The machine screams in Premiere and so far there have been no graphics glitches. I also installed the Web Drivers for Mavericks on my main machine, as CC15 is crashing a ton when doing CUDA-intensive tasks. I don't mind being the guinea-pig on these drivers, as I do think that if we can point to a GPU driver version resulting in better performance then that would suggest there is a clear solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info!

True, I do still get glitches in Open CL.

I tried to download the CUDA drivers after installing Yosemite and a clean version of PP CC 2015,(because there were no CUDA drivers on the OS, or CUDA option in Premiere when it installed,) and even though I'm downloading directly from Nvidia's website I get the "unidentified developer" message?  That seems like a good indication of how much coordination is going on here. I have Nvidia in the radar because it seems funny that Apple would switch to AMD after using the Geforce series for a few different models over the last few years.

I might be totally off base here when I throw the shade at Nvidia, but I really am tired of this whole process and I agree, this stuff should just work out of the box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm another one with glitches... MBP 15" i7 1TB 16RAM GT750M.

Situation right now is totally unacceptable. It's not like we are talking about a game or some other app for fun. People are WORKING and earning money on this, rely on this software and hardware. This have to be addressed.

Every next revision is more and more unstable. They're adding some functionalities but not working on a core stability. Seriously, I don't care about morph cuts etc, make it work properly with basic stuff!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is no one from NVIDIA commenting on this problem in these forums, or why are we not hearing comments from NVIDIA through Adobe reps? How exactly can we contact someone there who is aware of the problem and can give us some insight into what's being done to fix it?

I suffered through more than a year of the CS6 H.264 bug, leaving software I paid for completely useless. And it feels like with every version of Premiere before that, there's always been some gotcha that ruined an otherwise great experience.

I don't imagine Adobe is prepared to refund my money for software I haven't been able to use as advertised?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so sad what we are all going thru in this forum but mark my words these companies that stay silent in the presence of situations like this by fear of recognizing publicly that they are not living up to their promises will one day backfire on them all. You can fool us once, and maybe you can even fool us twice but never three times. In the end some one will pay for this shameful silence we are forced to swallow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here here. Maybe it's time we collected signatures demanding action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I spoke with Apple recently, actually I've been battling with them for a long time, but more actively in the last month or so. The acknowledged there was a problem, claimed there's a "department" who is assigned to fixing this issue and that they would like me to wait until they fix it before replacing or exchanging my current rMBP for a different model or at least one with a different graphics card so I can at least see if that makes a difference. The problem is, they were able to tell me what the problem was specifically, or how soon they plan to fix it? A new Beta for Yosemite came out and from what I hear it's not addressing the issues, and the same goes for rumors about El capitan. So, if this isnt an OS issue or serious conflict on many levels, I'm not sure why it was described as a "fix?" Has anyone experience any graphics issues while using FCPX? Even in a trial version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen a software issue take over a year to fix, which is why I doubt we'll ever see one. 

To me this is a conflict between Apple's OS and NVIDIA (with Premiere as the casualty). 

Remember, Apple dumped NVIDIA/CUDA for OpenCL/AMD on the new Mac Pros. I honestly think that's why both companies don't seem to really care about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just about to upgrade my mac pro before discovering this thread. If this issue isn't being fixed, what is the alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) Upgrade but only use OpenCL

b) Don't upgrade but keep using CUDA

c) Switch to ATI hardware

d) Use a PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines