• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After upgrading to CC2018, playback head freezes but audio keeps going on...

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the middle of the same project for the last 3 months. I've been working with the previous version of Premiere without any issues. After updating to CC2018 I can't play my entire sequence anymore. For several times, I've to stop seeing the sequence because the playback head freezes while the audio keeps going on.

I think that it's quicker now to wait 20 minutes exporting my sequence and seeing it as mov file than have to stop over and over again and not being able to see all the movie in real time. On the previous version I was using the Program Monitor in the "full" quality. I tried to change it to "1/2" to see if that could be an issue but it keeps freezing every 30 seconds or so...

Could anybody help me over here? Downgrade back to the previous version would be a perfect solution for me. Although, as I'm monthly paying for Premeire, I think Adobe should really try to find a solution better than downgrading. Sometimes Adobe makes me really miss FCP7.

Well, I'll be waiting for an answer.

Thanks,

Marlos

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, things are getting worst and still without any solution...

Yesterday I chated with an Adobe representative and he told me to do some stuff, he even connected and controlled my computer to help me doing so.

What we did:

- Installed the Cuda Driver and changed the File > Project Settings > General > Renderer to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)

- Deleted all the rendered cache files;

- Uninstalled the Twixtor plugin

Didn't work, I still have the same problem and, worst, sometimes now I playback and some Audio channels surprisingly turn mute. I have to quit and restart Premiere to be able to listen to them again.

Could it get worster? Yes, when I tried to export my video some randomly audio channels turned mute as well on my final export.

Really thinking that the best solution is to downgrade back to CC2017. If so, why pay for something that you have to downgrade to use?

Any help will be welcome....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things to consider:

When updating your Nvidia drivers, (and you didn't spec the card(s) you have), if using quadro, did you use the Optimal Driver for Enterprise (ODE) and not the Quadro New Feature (QNF) verison?

You can also change the graphic settings on a per Application Basis, within the Nvidia control panel.  I would turn off some things or set features to be application controlled.

At as last resort.  Reinstall an older driver, then switch to software mode.  If it works, then it's your driver.

Finally -if this is your bread and butter pay the bills machine, then:, bare bones, base OS install with all security updates (nothing else).  Nothing else but Adobe Suite and required plugins on the machine.  Get a second PC for online/gaming, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with 2018, 2017 without problem. Targa sequences are not playable anymore and also 4K editing is terrible. 16-core TR1950x CPU, 64GB RAM 3200MHz, GTX 1080, system on SSD, videos on another SSD. Sh*t!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good rule of thumb is NEVER upgrade Premiere in the middle of a project. NEVER NEVER NEVER.

That being said, you should DEFINITELY downgrade back to the version that WAS working for you.

You might want to use the Adobe cleaner tool as well Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try to downgrade, but 2017CC says my project can't be opened anymore because it was saved in a new version of Premiere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yeah, old versions can't open newer versions (one of the primary reasons to never upgrade during a project).You'll need to open the last version you saved under 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marlos, I would recommand to uninstall Premiere Pro CC2018 and reinstall Premiere Pro CC2017 from your Creative Cloud app.

A rule of thumb is to never upgrade your software during production. If you still want to upgrade, when installing a new version in the advanced options you can choose to not uninstall previous version, allowing you to keep several versions of Premiere (or any CC App) at the same time on your computer.

Side question, in your project, do you use a lot of linked after effects compositions ?

All the best,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yenaphe, as I just wrote above I did try to downgrade but I can't open my project anymore on Premiere CC2017, it's not compatible anymore.

And no, I have not even one AE composition in my timeline.

Still struggling to finish the project, taking me twice the time I should if the software was working properly...

Thanks anyway,

Marlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open a previously auto-saved version that was done in 2017?  At least you won't start over.  If you have autosaving enabled, it should be in a folder called Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 20 auto-saves but as it auto-saves every 15 min they're all already CC2018 versions.

Thanks anyway...

Marlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might suggest that you get into the habit of manually saving in increments, as work progresses.  While I do recommend upgrading and/or using different versions of the software for the same project.  This effort will come in handy and be life saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, at the moment it's almost impossible to work. The playback head is stopping every 15 seconds or so. I'm trying to watch a 30 minutes video and can't get to end without loosing the concentration several times. The playback head always stops when it should change footage. It freezes at the previous footage while the audio keeps going on normally. I have to hit spacebar in the unresponsive keyboard several times until it finally responds and play again, form the point the playback head stopped.

And the worst is that, when I decided to export the video to watch it without interruption, some audios just randomly dropped out.

I'm about to reinstall the OS just because of Premiere.

Could you believe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many reasons this could be happening. We would need to know the details of the footage you are working with and specs of your machine, including location of footage and type of drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, if I forget anything, please feel free to ask for it:

- Macbook Pro Retina 15" Late 2013

- 2.3 GHZ Intel Cpre i7

- 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB

also a

- Apple Cinema Display 20" (1680x1050)

The sequence is 1280 x 720 30fps

All the footage is located at an external Lacie D2 THB USB3 6TB drive

Anything else?

Thanks again,

Marlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please detail the specs of the footage you are editing. Format, bitrate, resolution etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have multiple morph cuts? I've removed all of mine and that was causing the crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None,

Thanks again,

Marlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines