• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alpha Channel Videos Glitch

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm encountering a very strange issue with my alpha channel videos that is costing me time and drive space. I import these Alpha Channel text graphic MOVs into Premiere, and at first they look flawless (see below). Crisp edges, clean alpha and motion blur. Exactly as they were in After Effects.

GFX Upon ImportGFX Upon ImportGFX Upon ImportGFX Upon Import

But then, after a short period of time, the videos suddenly look like crap. Semi-transparent blue background replaces the alpha, the edges become jagged, the motion blur becomes a pixely mess (see below)

GFX After GlitchGFX After GlitchGFX After GlitchGFX After Glitch

The source file never changed, the graphics just degrade immensely within the program. At first I thought it was just the playback or something related to sequence settings, but this visual degradation is present in the source window and remains in the final export. Making the file offline and relinking doesn't work. The only workaround I've found is making a duplicate of the source file in Finder, Importing that, and doing the Alt-Drag-Replace trick. But this is a ridiculous, time consuming extra step I should not have to do, and eventually the duplicate file undergoes the same degradation.

No matter what, I get this brief window where the alpha video files look pristine and accurate, then they become these ugly bastardizations, and once this transformation happens, it can't be undone. Even if I import the same file into Premiere, it has the fuzzy blue look. The only way to "remind" Premiere what these files are supposed to look like is bringing in a new copy, and even then, Premiere eventually "forgets" again. I can't make duplicates within Finder and manually realign them with the graphics every time I want to get an export out to the client where the text graphics aren't an ugly fuzzy mess.

This glitch happens regardless of whether the Alpha MOVs were exported from After Effects as Lossless with Alpha or Prores 4444 with Alpha.

Program is Premiere Pro CC 2020 V13.1.5 (up to date at time of posting)

Below are my Computer Specs

SpecsSpecs

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Formats , Hardware or GPU , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May need to interprete the alpha channel in the Project window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a test render out of AE and put into Premiere Pro. I have very similar specs to you (MBP2020, same OS, latest Adobe CC etc.) but could not replicate your issue yesterday.

Though I think Ann Bens may be on the right track. If the alpha interpretation of a clip is wrong in Premiere Pro I get 'scrunchy' edges on the alpha channel. But the only way I could get this to happen was change the interpret alpha settings for the clip in Premiere Pro to 'Conform Alpha Premultiplication to: Premultiplied Alpha'. Then my clip - with a straight alpha - looks pretty bad. This *might* be what is happening to you.

Perhaps Premiere Pro misinterpreting your alpha clips over time? ... the over time bit is a big problem - if true it might indicate a bug?,  don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me with previous versions too.

Clip exported from Ae with straight alpha. Gives me blue edges. After interpreting it to Premultiplied issue is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me! You, madam, are a life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a difficult time locating this menu. Could you show us how you found it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find this setting in my Adobe Premier Pro preferences. Can someone please send the path to get to these settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually found it. Either select the clip in your media bins and go to Clip > Modify > Interpret Footage. Or simply right click on the clip and select Modify > Interpret Footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for keeping me in the loop. I can't tell from Ann Bens original screen grab if she's saying to check BOTH boxes (conform and premultiplied) or just the first box? Also, I'm thinking that, when rendering out from After Effects as Apple ProRes 444, RGB + Alpha, Millions of Colors+, we need to be choosing either Straight (Unmatted) or Premultiplied (Matted). I'm still unclear on that part. If anyone can fill in the blanks it'd be greatly appreciated. (see my AE screen grab below if that helps)

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 11.30.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I this "correct answer" a Premier setting for importing the alpha channel video - or is it a After Effect setting somewhere for rendering? Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Premiere Pro setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only solution for me was to open any offending AE PNG in PS and re save as PNG.

I hope it saves someone some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines