• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another update, and still no dual monitor workspace.

Advocate ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope springs eternal...well, within limits.

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean, I have three monitors with Premiere on and a forth for the program output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I drag my Project Panel to my left monitor and manually resize it to fill the screen. I click 'Save Changes to this Workspace'. Next time I open that project, or ANY project, I have to go through this routine again. EVERY SINGLE TIME. And yes, I have tried to disable 'Import Workspace from Projects'. As a matter of fact, just in case I was thinking in reverse on this setting, I've tried it both ways for several years to no avail.

Even Kevin-Monahan typed this last year on a similar post..."I'll move this into the Bugs forum. It's time this worked for dual screen monitor setups more reliably. Upvoted. Sorry for the frustration."

This has been a long standing bug and has been reported many times both here in the forum and in Bug Reports...but nothing EVER gets done. Guess Adobe is too busy with AI intergration at the moment, and prior to that, they were more interested in 'Text-based Editing', and prior to that...etc., etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got some local issue there. There are millions of daily users, many of us with two, three, or four screens. I run four on my main desktop, have for years now. Typically run an additional even with my laptop.

I don't have any such issue, and being pretty active here and on other forums, this isn't happening a lot, shall we say?

So ... first thing to comment on, is you cannot save changes to a 'built-in' workspace. You have to create a new, named workspace to save any changes to it. You don't list that step above, so I don't know if you created a new workspace or not.

Past that, more details is always better. What's your OS and hardware,. especially the monitors, and how do you feed a signal to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You don't list that step above, so I don't know if you created a new workspace or not."
I have. Many times.

Currently on Windows 10. Both monitors are fed via HDMI from a GeForce GTX 1070. However, this is probably my 12th machine in my Adobe history, with a multitude of dual monitor setups with a multitude of nVidia cards and monitors fed by everything from VGA, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort, and the issue has followed me for many years. Also, this is an issue that has several posts here and other support forums for several years, as is indicated by Kevin's comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly enough, Neil, I've just found other posts where you have offered solutions to some experiencing the very same issue. In fact, I remember now applying your posited solutions without success. Specifically...
- Undocking the Project Panel from it's Panel Group prior to moving over to the left monitor.
- Leave a pixel or so space around the moved Project Panel in the left monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have. Of course. There haven't been that many especially compared to other things. And almost always, it's a local issue.

It could easily be a write permissions issue for the folder that Premiere puts that information. That's been an issue for several users.

Or it could be that you have something like OneDrive or DropBox 'syncing' the folder, and as those apps rewrite tags in the file headers routinely to track what may need syncing, that can interfere with Premiere's' writing your saved workspace to the file.

There are several other things that have come up over the decaded I've been around here. And as said, nearly always a local machine issues.

A recurring problem with saved workspaces is the way project panel saved to a different panel group on another screen can jump back to the lower left quadrant main-screen panel group on open. And yes, I'm after the devs on that one including again at NAB a few weeks back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not seen any solutions yet that have worked that indicated a 'local issue'. I'd love to see one so that I could try it myself. It's not a folder permission issue because all other changes made to the custom workspace remain, only the Project Panel location on the left monitor returns to it's default group. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted, the Project panel at times does. I've a panel group on the 2 monitor, with Productions and several opened projects sharing a space, and an edge to the right with the Effects panel.

Every so often one of the previously opened projects will appear in that lower left main quadrant. And need moving back, which is certainly annoying.

The panel group stays in place, as will most opened projects. THAT behavior I have as stated complained about.

Again. At NAB in person. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a Panel Group in the left monitor, only the Project Panel. And it's not an 'every so often' occurrence, it's an 'every time I open or create a new project' occurrence that's been going on for several years on multiple machines, which has become much more than 'annoying'... especially since it seems those of us experiencing it are being ignored by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a panel group. That will save.

And it won't always put the project back in the main window.

And yea, it's annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a panel group. That will save.

Neil...you are the first that has ever suggested that to me, and it seems to work. I mean, not even anyone at Adobe has suggested it!!!

Are you God?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nah, just been around the block a few times! 

This is one of those "minor" annoyances that just irritate for freaking ever. Like a sore toe that never heals right, right? Ha.

This ... where projects occasionally hop back to the lower quadrant ... and the stupid old way the app "references" monitor space to begin with, are two things I keep asking for updating. 

It would be nice if the app just referenced monitors by either their name or by monitor number to the OS. Other apps do that, why does Premiere still see that 1920x1080 monitor to the left as everything on it referenced to -1920 x 0 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines