• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone Else Getting No Audio Playback After Opening A Project?

Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past week or so, I've had a strange issue where sometimes when I open a project and try to play the timeline, there's no audio. It happens for every sequence in the project. It's not that the audio is playing and I'm just not hearing it, the audio levels don't even move. It's as if all audio has been muted. The only thing that brings it back is to solo one of the audio tracks and then unsolo it. After that everything starts working again.

Premiere Pro v12.1.0

Windows 10 64-bit

Asus Extreme4 Gen3

Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz

GTX 1080

32GB RAM

2TB SSD OS

8TB Raid 10 Storage

All drivers are up to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Since this is still an issue with the latest update from Adobe, I thought I'd go ahead an post a video showing the workaround of soloing and unsoloing a track to get the audio playing again. Hopefully Adobe will be able to fix the issue soon and we won't have to use a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 125 Replies 125
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New sequence, cut and paste for me worked. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most definitely an ongoing and unresolved issue. I have a film project I started working on in 2014. I have lived and breathed this material and know all the issues with the substance of the sequences.. There are 15 sub sequences (scenes) as well as a music score and some ambient/foley in the master timeline. Many times I open an edit session and have to go through each sub-sequence and the "solo the tracks" trick has to be executed to enable the sound. If I render audio (get the waveform "picture").and do any edit changes it zaps the render. I have developed a work pattern that allows me to get around this. Why am I living with this defect, for this long?

PPro Audio Issue (solo) 3840x2150.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of Premiere (12.1.2 build 69) seems to solve this, but you have to save the project as a new project in the new Premiere version in order for it to not require solo/unsolo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that I can't hear the mere 5 tracks of audio without getting dropout.  I have to stop playing the timeline and then play again, but problem reappears every few seconds.  Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 10, Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 Version 12.1.2 (Build 69), and I am having this issue. Soloing/Unsoloing does not fix the problem. I only JUST started a subscription to this service, after using Adobe CS 5.5 for years. Copying and pasting the entire project to a new sequence does solve the problem, but that does not copy all my settings in the Audio Track mixer. Which would mean that I have to completely redo all of my compressor settings and everything.

Would be great if there was a solid, standard, CONSISTENT fix for this. Definitely starting to feel like I'm wasting money on this subscription, which is why I was really hesitant of the whole subscription service to begin with.

@Matt_Stegner, any word on this?

EDIT: Just discovered my issue was related to the Audio Effects in the Audio Track Mixer. It's very inconvenient, but not at all related to this issue. Please disregard this message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m getting the same dumb bug. Soloing and unsoloing tracks solves it so thanks for that. Premiere 12.1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was fixed in the latest Premiere, 12.1.2.  Please update if you want to avoid the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm seeing that but experience has taught me the risk of encountering the next round of annoying bugs keeps me back a version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. This was not fixed. I am running the latest version. I keep a running log of the issues I encounter in editing.

Currently:

Go through each of 16 scenes and & solo/un-solo all audio to "activate" Meaning be able to hear it & have it "draw" the waveform in my master sequence

Master Timeline:  solo/un-solo all audio to "activate"

Troubleshoot and re-connect random dynamic link fails with AE

-may work well many weeks and then just random fail

Check that no media has become unlinked

Render master timeline every time audio is changed in a scene sequence

so I can see the waveform.

Sometimes have to render portions of timeline because the render disappears

Disable: play head selects option (choice does not persist)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn It! I was notified of an update, but, alas, it was only in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Solved.Most current version

Go through each of 16 scenes and & solo/un-solo all audio to "activate" Meaning be able to hear it

Master Timeline:  solo/un-solo all audio to "activate"

Render master timeline every time audio is changed in a scene sequence

so I can see the waveform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The nature of this bug affected the .prproj itself.  If you open a older project that was affected by the bug, you must solo and unsolo, then save.  After that the project will be correct again.

Is this what you are seeing?  If you do not save the project after correcting the solo state it will appear incorrectly the next time you open it.

"have it "draw" the waveform in my master sequence"

"Render master timeline every time audio is changed in a scene sequence so I can see the waveform."

Losing the waveform of the audio, or having audio appear to be offline, which is what I am guessing you are trying to say here, is completely unrelated to the "solo" bug. I suggest you check that your Media Cache locations are working properly (if they are on a separate disk or a network disk) or some other configuration issue.

Please get a video of what you are seeing and post it to a place where we can review it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that. I have copied and pasted to new sequences, tried deleting any footage not in immediate use, extracting sequences and importing into new projects. Discarding the master timeline and re-building from scratch with the scene sequences.....etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a video of the bug?  Even a cell phone recording posted to dropbox will save countless forum posts as I try to understand what you are experiencing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't need a video. Problem is simple to describe. Timeline audio not active, cycle the solo switches on/off (or vice-versa). Timeline audio now active. This was happening, in my case, on a massive project with several media types. This project had a 3 year time span and went through several iterations of application updates, multiple configurations (nested, AE linked, edit in audition segments) so while trouble shooting a large number of factors during the course of the project I never found a definitive source of angst.

So far since I have only been doing small utility projects and it has not occurred. I am ramping up for another massive project and would really like to have this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what you are describing sound like the solo bug that was fixed in 12.1.2.  Are you using 12.1.2 or newer?  Also, with this particular bug, once the project is saved in this state, you need to open it, solo and un-solo an audio track, then save the project and the project will correct itself.  If you do not do that the audio will remain silent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here from time to time. The waveforms are there but it won't play audio from some tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to version 13.  Same problem.  Only thing that will fix it now is restarting Premiere, sometimes several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Shaun. I found an easier solution for myself instead of importing the files I just drag my files from the source to the timeline bypassing the importing media. This is how I usually do it anyway and I bypass he issue of trying to figure out a solution because soloing the audio didn’t work for me. Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro CC VERSION 13.02 build 38 and have been encountering the same baffling audio problem.

The workaround fix by soloing any audio track and then un-soloing seemed like something pretty screwy.  But it works!

I also saw on the thread that before you do an export you need to do the solo-unsolo screwy trick again. So I will do that.

I’m happy this fix was posted because I was about to be admitted to the looney bin

I hope Adobe provides a more permanent fix going forward.  BTW and FYI — This is January 6, 2019.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone

Apparently there are different causes of this issue.  I fixed it before but today that fix did not work.

I found this video today on YouTube and it worked for me.

https://youtu.be/Ha--z928FkE

The speaker is soft spoken and he quickly shows the steps in the video and doesn't linger on each step.  So I added the below comment to his video,   But don't just follow my notes below -- look at his video first.

Below is my comment:

Great video.  For those who need a little help in finding the Common folder, First shut down Adobe Premiere.  Use Windows Rxplorer to find this folder.  (You may need to go into Window's settings and turn on hidden folders)  Then look for the User folder and find the user you are logged in as.  In my case (windows 10) the folder is C:\Users\Rowby\AppData\Roaming\Adobe    And in that Adobe folder look for the Folder named Common.   You rename Common something else and then you create a new Common folder.  Make sure Common starts with a capitol C:.    It worked for me.    To turn on hidden folders in Windows:.. Right-click the Windows Start icon.

Choose File Explorer.

Go to the View tab and click Options.

Select Change folder & search options.

Go to the View tab.

In Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives under Hidden files and folders category.

Click Apply then OK.

Anyway it worked for me on 1-16-2019

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I came here because my audio wasn't working and the solo trick did not work. I am on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803 Build 17134.523.

I decided to try running it as Administrator and it seems to work perfectly. Hopefully that helps someone else.

It may have been a Windows update or something that caused the way it access audio to fail unless it's an administrator.

- Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

THere seem to be different reasons and solutions to this issue.

I've tried many of them, including the Solo Solution, the Clear media cache,etc.

When none of the above work, I do the Premiere reset fix.  Holding Shife and Alt while starting Premiere.  The annoying thing is it clears your project history -- but in my case -- it has fixed it everytime -- so far.

And yes the issue seemed to hit me after a WIndows update from Windoes 7 to WIndows 10.

It seems to only affect Premiere -- but not other programs such as Adove audition.

Rowby

PS:  From a google search:

Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while launching Premiere Pro. You can release the Alt key or Option key when the splash screen appears. To reset preferences and plug-in cache at the same time, hold down Shift-Alt (Windows) or Shift-Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting.Jun 18, 2018

ALSO  -- This morning it happened to me again.  This video fixed it this time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha--z928FkE

NO SOUND In Premiere CC 2018 - Fixed QUICKLY - Thanks GOD - premiere not importing audio - YouTube

The guy in the above video speaks softly and he is a bit fast in his explanation.  Here's the steps he says:

First shut down Adobe Premiere. Use Windows explorer to find this folder. (You may need to go into Window's settings and turn on hidden folders. Then look for the User folder and find the user you are logged in as. In my case (windows 10) the folder is C:\Users\Rowby\AppData\Roaming\Adobe And in that Adobe folder look for the Folder named Common. You rename Common something else and then you create a new Common folder. Make sure Common starts with a capitol C:. It worked for me. To turn on hidden folders in windows... Right-click the Windows Start icon. Choose File Explorer. Go to the View tab and click Options. Select Change folder & search options. Go to the View tab. In Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives under Hidden files and folders category. Click Apply then OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ShaunK321

This stopped working for me, but here's a solution that held up...

I was not getting any audio out of my Mac from Premiere Pro no matter what output source I tried. The first time this happened to me on a previous project, muting and unmuting did temporarily clear the problem. However, it came back on a later project and this no longer worked.

What DID work was clearing the Premiere startup cache and preferences. (Note, this is not the media cache.)

When you launch Premiere Pro, hold down the Option or Alt and Shift keys. (Without the Shift key it just resets preferences.) I am not sure if just holding the Shift key will only clear the cache. This apparently clears the cache that Premiere builds to speed startup (the same trick Windows and macOS does with their system startup).

Fun fact: Removing and re-installing Premiere (which I also tried) apparently does not clear the startup cache completely.

Hope this helps someone!

Ric Getter

MacDirectory Magazine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This points to some crufty preferences.  Can you tell me what audio hardware you are using?  And if you are using  either Bluetooth or UBS microphone?  My guess is that the sample rate of the input device was causing the playback engine to stall, and when you cleared your preferences the troubling device was not being used.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines