Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio out of sync AFTER importing

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, how are you?

I've been searching for a solution for a while, but I can't seen to find any.

The thing is... I've been capturing some gameplay footage, with files that last an hour or even more.

When I watch the files in any player (Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic) they play fine, the audio and the video seems to be on sync and OK.

But after I import to Adobe Premiere, it just gets out of sync. Even when I watch in the Source Monitor, before dragging to the timeline.

It looks like there is a problem when conforming the audio.

But even the time duration is different from the original, there is some frames or even seconds of difference inside Premiere.

And this happens with different codecs, AVI (from FRAPS), H.264 (with AAC audio and MP3)...

I've tried cleaning the cache, deleting the software and reinstalling again, converting - everything.

Some are saying this is a recurrent bug on Adobe Premiere. Isn't there any fix or something that I could do?

It's really strange that the problems only occur AFTER importing. Outside of Premiere is fine, so there is no problem with the capture, right?

I would really appreciate if someone helps me. Thanks a lot!

PS: I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Intel Core i7

12 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 580

HD 2 TB 7200RPM

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Hey I don't know if you've found an answer to your problem from someone else yet, but I have had the same problem before, and I've finally found a fix that I'd like to share. I downloaded a video converter called Handbrake. (Mod 2021 update note: You can also use Shutter Encoder, which has more features and codecs than Handbrake).

In Handbrake I imported the video I wanted converted and changed an option from "variable framerate" to "constant framerate". After my webcam footage was converted i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

We've got a tutorial here on how to fix it when working with screen recorded footage! This helps with other non-camera formats too like Zoom recordings or gameplay footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 179 Replies 179
New Here ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monday, May 12, 2014, 7:35pm CDT

I have googled my eyes out, and basically had (and still have) the same opinion as 'njmafl'. That is, why hasn't some Adobe big shot responded in an OFFICIAL manner and either given a fix, or a 'not gonna be fixed.'  ..something, ANYTHING.

But I *will* say that in all my investigations, the Handbrake solution provided by bailzmcl is the ONLY thing that solves the problem, and it works like a charm. Yes it's a work-around, and it adds ANOTHER encoding step, but at *LEAST* there is a solution; and Handbrake is a free, open-source product (which I happened to have installed *anyway* for other purposes). And it doesn't take too much time to do once you get used to the software.

So, thanks to bailzmcl for thee one and only (so far) solution. It does work. [again, my one concern is the extra encode..so take care that you don't keep degrading the video...use high(er)-quality settings in Handbrake]

--Schnarfus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have been working with Adobe Premiere for years now and, like most of you here, some months ago the audio out of sync problems started. I record gameplay footage with an Avermedia Livegamer portable which creates MP4 files. Strange thing is. I have editted tons of video's recorded with the avermedia and the audio/video was perfectly in sync. But all of a sudden I got a file that wasn't in sync anymore. I have also editted tons of GoPro footage, and nothing 's wrong with those files. Atleast not yet...

So I have been googling for a solution and the handbrake solution sounds the most easy solution. I read a reply on this forum saying it is freeware and can be easily downloaded. Am I just a nerd or is it a well hidden download ? Could someone share a link if possible or give some good google directions that nerds like me can understand/use? I hope this workaround will work for me. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Crazio, did you find the Handbrake link you were looking for?  https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I did. Thanks!

It's just wierd. All of a sudden I only had to use handbrake twice now. And I have made a ton of new video's without any problems... Premiere is just wierd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bailzmc1...

Thanks so much for your answer! I think you have solved my problem! 😄

I imported a video from my old Nokia phone (Nokia e73), and after I edited it in Premiere and exported it, I noticed that some parts were out of sync. Now I think it works. After it's uploaded to YouTube I will see if it is still ok.

Btw, why is Premiere so bad at handling variable frame rate videos? I mean, if I play them in a video player they play fine. So how come I can't edit them and export them without them going out of sync in Premiere? I read somewhere that "time sensitive" programs like Premiere can't handle these variable bitrate videos. But what does that mean.. time sensitive??

Anyone know the answers to my questions?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks dude! that helped me and saved my 103-12 black ops gameplay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! I don't know how you figure that out, but saved me a ton of work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God Bless you Sir. This works flawless to me ! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius! It worked. I love handbrake. I used it to downsize some video files for uploading on an online course, but didn't know it could do this. I was afraid it was an issue with the cell phone and I was very disappointed about that, but your answer saved the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks bailzmc1

HANDBRAKE is the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using Handbrake and while it did help reduce the out of sync-ness of the audio and video, it's still not 100% in sync. This is really apparent in my case because it's a video of me singing a fast, upbeat song and it's quite obvious that my lips don't match the audio. I'm super frustrated because this is a video that I'm submitting for a competition and I cannot have anything that may allude the adjudicators to lip syncing.

Is there anything that I'm doing wrong here? If this helps, I'm using Mp4 clips in my project and I have Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pml.K

If you have you Adobe Premier or a video editing program you could try unlinking the audio track with the video and then nudge the audio back and forth until it matches your lipsync?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried it, it's much better, though I can't be sure if I synced it with 100% accuracy...at this point I don't know if anyone can tell the difference anymore. I'm sure there's a margin of acceptable error when it comes to our brains judging what is in sync and what isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great result. I agree with your observation re how our brains might not see the discrepancy in the sync esp if the audio is close enough to the visual mouth movement.(is it less than 200 milisecond ?)

Just to add to the complexity, have a look at this BBC video on another phenomenon called the McGurk effect illusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0 

Subscribe and 🔔 to the BBC 👉 https://bit.ly/BBCYouTubeSub Watch the BBC first on iPlayer 👉 https://bbc.in/iPlayer-Home Try The McGurk Effect! The McGurk effect is a compelling demonstration of how we all use visual speech information. The effect shows that we can't help but integrate visual sp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly cannot thank you enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is that is problem is total [expletive deleted]!  Hundreds of dollars worth of PP and to have this problem is NOT acceptable!  I have tried all of the different suggestions above and NONE have worked!  This is plain unacceptable!

======================================================================

Edited by moderator to remove profanity. Substituting a couple of characters doesn't cut it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For how great Premiere Pro is at video editing I am starting to wonder if it is worth the effort and money. I am having the same issue with imported AVI files. I am importing AVI files because PP had issues with MPEG files. So in essence I have to do another work around to get the first work around to work. This is just ridiculous. I am having this issue in CS4 and people with CS6 apparently still have this problem.  

I echo njmafl's post. It is time for an official response. A moderator edited his post, but how about a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2014 Jun 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my two cents for those that might still be seeking an answer. I eventually gave up and opened the movie file in Windows Movie Maker, edited it, then saved it. Lo and behold, turns out it loses the sync issues once opened in Premiere.

So, if you're having issues with sync issues from a device, open it in WMM or iMovie, save it as a new file, then open it in Premiere.

Sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to open and edit in another application, why would you bother returning to Premiere? Seems like a show-stopper bug to me and I'm fast thinking of returning to Final Cut Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou! I didn't have to cut up the long file into pieces, but importing it into Windows Movie Maker and exporting it worked a treat! It's lost the 5.1 audio it had, and I don't know if there's an option to correct that, but for this it wasn't important - the sync was the main issue. Thankyou again! That's been driving me round the bend for ages 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the movie maker trick worked for me, fairly easy workaround- thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not so much a fix as a workaround but it is simple. Open file in Quicktime, Save file as and select Save as ref movie. All fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pr1m8's solution worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2014 Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is clearly PP not handling variable frame rate video. I also do webcam video and even bought QT Pro for the "reference movie" but that failed (as did the strange suggestion of changing the file extension.

My workaround: Install Handbrake, transcode to a lossless video as constant bitrate and then import that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines