• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVCHD clips out of sync. Update to 13.1 or not?

Contributor ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried previously to upgrade from PP 11 to 12 it threw all of my AVCHD clips out of sync; referencing the wrong clips for the  audio and video and making it completely unusable. I've stuck with 11 since then since it works.

I'm nervous moving up to 13 for the same reason. And even more so now because Adobe sent an email saying they are discontinuing older versions. So if I upgrade I'm worried I won't be able to roll back should something go wrong again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

You just install Pr 2019 ... and the process should leave the earlier one installed. When installing, at the first dialog, go into the "Advanced options" tab and make sure it is set to leave previous versions.

Then test to see how it works ... but test by making new projects in the new version, importing older projects into them or just importing the media in a new project and seeing how it works. NEVER just "open" an older project in a new version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just install Pr 2019 ... and the process should leave the earlier one installed. When installing, at the first dialog, go into the "Advanced options" tab and make sure it is set to leave previous versions.

Then test to see how it works ... but test by making new projects in the new version, importing older projects into them or just importing the media in a new project and seeing how it works. NEVER just "open" an older project in a new version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil.

There wasn't an advanced options dialog for Mac, though I didn't use the CC updater app, I used a .dmg from the download page. Anywho, it installed fine and left my PP 2017 intact.

Unfortunately, however, same problem. AVCHD video is actually fine and in the original place but the audio is completely wrong and referencing different parts of different clips. The audio waveforms that do show up all appear to be of the original and correct audio, and all of my audio keyframes are still there, it just doesn't play the right audio. Also no dynamic links to After Effects work (though I didn't install AE 2019). From reading past comments from others with this issue, it appears it may have been my fault for not bringing in the whole file structure of the SD card. But it's years too late to correct that and what's done is done. The messed up clips happened both when copying an old project's entire contents into a new project as well as trying to open an old project directly with PP 2019.

It looks like if I want to be able to access any old projects I'll have to stick with CC 2017 forever...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is another option. Use MediaEncoder to transcode the AVCHD files to say ProRes.

Then use the ProRes for editing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines