• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bin - sort by date created (basic metadata) bug in CC?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my date created that derives from the .mov files - but i am unable to sort via the column heading even though i have it displayed - i can sort all the other columns from the premiere metadata but headings within the basic dont seem to be able to be sorted by, in CS6 it worked, is this a CC bug?

thanks

Oli

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

OlieWDJ,

Here's the solution: How to Sort Project Bin Clips by Creation Date in Adobe Premiere Pro
Let us know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you not still sort by name? Most DSLRs increment their naming with each clip, so sorting by name will give (almost) the same results as sorting by date/time created.

I agree that it would be nice to get back the previous functionality, but if it were me on a deadline, I'd be deep in workaround-land.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mark, that was some useful information. I suppose when I submit the report I would suggest just allowing the sort by date feature exclusively in a non-icon view.  Better to have it in one view than none.  I just had my office switch to the cloud, and we frequently have to sort files by date modified. Now they have to be manually added to the timeline by date, or have the file names modified to reflect their dates with a renaming utility, which mucks with our other automating software based on file names. It's just a big hassle and I'm discovering that I'm apparently touchy about the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egads...Premiere can't sort clips by DATE? Probably THE most common sorting method along with alphabetically. It really shouldn't matter if one is looking at text or icons. This is just basic computer functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable... unable to sort bins by date created in cs6, how basic,,, just another shot to the foot to get you go to the cloud, where this will be 'fixed', someday, which I will NEVER do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 Just another vote that adding sorting by creation date is a fundamental core feature and can't quite believe its not possible. Added a feature request too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update for everyone. I submitted a bug report for this Sort by creation date feature and got a great reply from a guy at Adobe. Here's what he said:

"This is one of our top feature requests, and we hope to get to it very soon. The reason it's a bit tricky is that metadata like the creation date is stored in the media file and having to read every file during each sort is currently taking way too much time, otherwise, we'd just turn on sorting. So we're working on it."

Great to have the actual reason and it make a lot of sense. I guess that in Premiere 6 this meta was not stored in the file, like it is now and that is why they used to be able to support this. So the positive side is that though they haven't found s solution yet it is conceivable they will - its not an impossible task just far from trivial. And when they do work out a solution it should also mean the rest of the custom metadata will then be usable in more ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"taking too much time"

If it took ten times longer than it used to take to sort... it would be worth it.  The amount of time it would take to sort all the files individually is completely insane to even consider.  Until this self created problem is fixed ("turned back on"), Premiere Pro is basically a completely worthless product.  Literally, this is of no use or value.  Microsoft Movie Maker is a better option.  Good Grief. 

TURN SORT ON NOW, PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello El Floydo,

elfloydo wrote:

"taking too much time"

If it took ten times longer than it used to take to sort... it would be worth it. 

Currently, the only way this could be implemented is by sorting XMP data, which is not only slow but makes your project subject to hanging. What we hope to implement is a different way of sorting that does not rely dealing with XMP data. It's going to take extra engineering cycles to implement a new scheme to sort.

elfloydo wrote:

TURN SORT ON NOW, PLEASE.

I understand your frustration and I apologize that this affects your workflow. I'd ask you to make a feature request, but currently the form is down. In a few days when the form's back up, please add your voice. Here is the link: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when one does use icon view, what sorting format is used there exactly? Random? It's not alphabetical. And we know that sorting by creation date is a stumper for the programmers....so how are the icons being sorted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

video clips.  pictures.  same camera.  same project.  thousands of files.  I just purchased the Creative Cloud to bring myself into the 21st century... old pentium has gone bye-bye... I had a computer custom built with the ideal number of drives to maximize my ability to edit and render videos efficiently.

Then, I start Premiere Pro and attempt to get acquainted with new features by building a simple movie from my daughter's soccer game.  Again, video and pictures intermixed.  This should be so simple... bring in source material, sort by date created, move to timeline, edit, render, done.  EXCEPT THAT I can't sort by date??????????????????????????

Are you kidding me??????????????????

EVERY SINGLE FILM EDITING SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET as well as just about every other software program on the planet allows for date sort.

Seriously, who the heck cares about icons???  A cute picture versus text results is rendering Premiere Pro completely worthless.  The amount of time it would take to manually add each individual file (video or pic) to the timeline in the proper order is astronomical.  Seriously, in what meeting and which managers were present that decided, "Hey, let's take away all efficiency of our product and replace it with a cute picture."

Someone in the meeting had to have asked, "Won't our loyal customers notice they can't do what they have been doing for years and years and years and get upset with us and stop using our products?" and "Won't new customers realize our new version of Premiere Pro is a lesser product than Microsoft Movie Maker?"

What was the answer to the question?  Don't bother, we all know the answer to the question, provided from a loyal Adobe staffer above:  "... you're welcome to your opinion about how easy this should be to accomplish and how misguided it was to remove this capability. Such opinions, however, have no effect on the product team's decision..."  IN OTHER WORDS, ADOBE SIMPLY DIDN'T GIVE A DARN WHAT THEIR CUSTOMERS THOUGHT.

WHY?  THERE IS NO LOGICAL REASON WHY THERE IS NOT AT LEAST ONE efficient SORT FUNCTIONALITY.  Seriously, it's not like we are talking about some cheap silly app from the App Store or Play Store that has bugs... THIS IS ADOBE FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!   PREMIERE PRO!!! 

HELLO... IS ANYBODY LISTENING?  IF YOU ARE, HOW ABOUT YOU COME OVER AND SORT ALL THIS FOOTAGE FOR ME SO I CAN GET THE PROJECT DONE. 

NEVERMIND, I will just cancel my order with the cloud and go back in time and use Microsoft Movie Maker... hey, at least it has lots of sort features.

Good Grief.  What a total disappointment.  What will I find next, that I can't use layers in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why they can't have sort by date available for list view, and off for icon view?

It's ridiculous that a "professional" video editing program in 2015 can't sort clips by date.

I can't even tell the other editors here (all Media Composer users), because they will LAUGH me out of the room.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonny,

jonny9091 wrote:

I don't know why they can't have sort by date available for list view, and off for icon view?

It's ridiculous that a "professional" video editing program in 2015 can't sort clips by date.

It's an issue that we know about and are working on. Sorry if it is affecting your workflow negatively. Unfortunately, the issue is a little more complicated than it seems from the outside looking in. I will advocate for this feature request, so I hope we can implement a fast sorting feature sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since discovered that PP can't sort by almost any of the metadata contained in a file. Date Created and Date Modified are probably the most used out of that data, and what we're currently requesting in this thread. However you also can't sort by any EXIF data such as Colorspace, F-Stop, EXIF version, etc. Likewise you can't sort by Rating, which is a bit aggravating as well.

Go ahead and open up your Metadata Display... options, enable several things, and add a bunch of videos and pictures and you'll see how limited you are by sorting. It's a shame that PP can't simply use the file system's Date Created/Modified as a sort option instead of pulling it from Metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just come across this problem, go pro used by a few people, generates consecutive spanning files xxx, 10xxx, 20xxx, 30xxx etc. The only way to get these files in a bin in order is to sort on creation date which PP CC can't do!

A fairy basic request of a professional edit system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steevkn wrote:

just come across this problem, go pro used by a few people, generates consecutive spanning files xxx, 10xxx, 20xxx, 30xxx etc. The only way to get these files in a bin in order is to sort on creation date which PP CC can't do!

A fairy basic request of a professional edit system?

As I wrote above, you actually can't sort by ANY of a file's metadata, and Date Created/Date Modified are considered meta data, even though we're used to seeing it as "file system data". You would run into the same problem if you wanted to sort your files by F-stop or what camera model you used. Those are stored in the EXIF metadata and thus, you can't sort by them.

We all shouted for this to be fixed in many threads for CC, and yet it wasn't addressed in CC 2014, a year or two later. I have my doubts Adobe can do anything to fix it - it seems like they made some bad decisions during their bin programming routines and can't patch it in. I enjoy using Premiere but as someone said above, I'm would be embarrassed if one of my Media Composer friends saw the workflow I had to go through simply to sort my clips (involving renaming files and using .bat files like it was 1995).

Hopefully we'll finally see it fixed when they release Adobe Premiere CC 2018 v25.5.1.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you could do is sort all your clips in Prelude, which will sort by date and time, then create bins and send those to Premiere. A workaround for sure if you're not already using a Prelude pipeline, but much less painful than the current alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps they should just change the name of the program to "Workaround".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use prelude to log many daily 30sec clips from a head cam

I was hoping to use it as a data base of shots but that apparently is not what it is designed for.

Moving shots between bins, which is almost instantaneous, takes ages.

After several weeks the programme got slower and slower when loading projects.

Perhaps I'm just used to more "professional" editing applications? (Avid)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would like to sort in Lightroom as I do now for my Galleries.   OR when I sort in Explorer and then Import/copy/drop into Premiere except Premiere Elements 15 then sorts them either by Name OR by Duration not by import order.   stupid.

One time I sorted in Explorer, then RENAMED every one of the clips in right left sort order so that Premiere would then lay them out properly for the wizard or movie maker to use them in the right order.

Yes I am an idiot since I waste about a half an hour and mess up a bunch of my named assets for a flawed workflow.  IF I want to add or delete or anything I have to do it all over again and of course use like 4 products to "work around" Adobe Premiere Elements 15 oversight/omission.

they are built in utilities or free........I pay Adobe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   to not be able to do it?

They call me decades long >>>   "customer"  ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Decker,

decker1222 wrote:

it seems like they made some bad decisions during their bin programming routines and can't patch it in. I enjoy using Premiere but as someone said above, I'm would be embarrassed if one of my Media Composer friends saw the workflow I had to go through simply to sort my clips (involving renaming files and using .bat files like it was 1995).

Hopefully we'll finally see it fixed when they release Adobe Premiere CC 2018 v25.5.1.5.

As I posted earlier, currently, the only way sorting by date in List View could be implemented is by sorting XMP data, which is not only slow but makes your project subject to hanging. What we hope to implement is a different way of sorting that does not rely on dealing with XMP data. It's going to take extra engineering cycles to implement a new scheme for sorting. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

If you or others on this thread have not yet filed a bug report/feature request yet, please do so. It would really help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well like an idiot I filled out the bug/feature request in Jan 2015 and now almost two years later and multiple upgrades and $$$$$$  this seemingly absolutely simple and obvious feature.  like having a dictionary sorted by letter (imagine that genius?????  ) I STILL can not sort my imported project assets (a bunch of photos or clips) by there DATE?  creation or modified or whatever?

Seriously this border on stupid?    I found in some of the help searches you can do this in Premiere Pro and I think CC so I guess I have to change my whole setup and scrap Elements 15 to get this simple stupid feature?????

Alternatively or as a fix I would love to be able to just take the already sorted gallery or group in Lightroom and just SEND it to Premiere Elements 15 to create a movie of these clips/gallery.

no point to putting the request in, been ignroed now for the 3rd release.    You are just laughing at me every time I send you more money for crap I don't need and featuritis.   Just like Microsoft...... sad.

~Thomas~ 

Thomas J. Lynch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ThomasJohnLynch,

this seemingly absolutely simple and obvious feature. like having a dictionary sorted by letter (imagine that genius????? ) I STILL can not sort my imported project assets (a bunch of photos or clips) by there DATE? creation or modified or whatever?

I just did this for my still images in a project. You mention Premiere Elements, however. This is the Premiere Pro forum. Can you repost your query in the Premiere Elements forum? I can also branch and move your post if you prefer.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but the reasons you're saying it's hard to do makes no sense.  You'll have to explain how getting standard data from files could cause serious slowdowns or crashes.  People have been asking for this for years now.

--Kizz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kizz - this issue with sorting by creation date was fixed over a year ago just ensure you have the latest version of Premiere Pro CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on CC 2017.  Where is that option?  I see:

User Order

List View Sort

Label

Selected

Name

Media Type

Media Start

Media Duration

Video Usage

Audio Usage

Tape Name

Comment

Scene

Shot

Good

Hide

Sync Offset

Video Codec

Field Order

Proxy

None of those are date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines