• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Burnt Blu-ray life testing

Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  want to begin testing the longevity of burnt Blu-ray disks. I intend keeping a 20GB Blu-ray built by Encore as my reference (but I am not sure what file-type that reference should be), then burn several different copies, put them in different locations inside and outside (in full sun, in shade, under fluorescents, and in cupboards), and then compare them every week or so against the reference on my computer.

My idea is to drag both the original file, and the Blu-ray folder from each disk, into the software, let it run, and ask it to tell me where the differences are. At the start of the testing there should be no differences. Gradually, over several weeks, those differences should increase as the disk is degraded.

This leads to three questions:

Q1: If I build to a Blu-ray folder and save that folder on my computer, will that folder be identical to the same Blu-ray burnt to a disk?

Q2: Or should I Build to a Blu-ray image, archive that image, and at a later date compare that image to the Blu-ray folder on a disk?

Q3: Any suggestions as to suitable comparison software?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes, you can either burn a folder or image to a disk. Same result.

2. An image is a digital print of a disk, if you extract an image you get a folder.

3. I doubt if you will see degrading. Its digital. It will either be able to play the disk or wont be able to play the disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. I just went ahead and created a Blu-ray folder on USB, then copied and burnt that to a Blu-ray disk – and it worked with all the menus. Amazing. I assumed that because Encore offers the option to build to folders or images, that they were completely different.

The degradation I'm talking about is due to ultraviolet and other environmental factors. I want to see for myself how long these disks are readable when left lying about in different locations.

In 2012 I was given more than 100 CDs burnt about 15 years ago from private recordings of the St Louis Symphony Orchestra, and asked to extract the contents. About half were unreadable. I want to begin testing my Blu-rays so I have an idea of how long they will last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Guy+Burns  wrote

then copied and burnt that to a Blu-ray disk

How did you burn? I don't think you can just burn the folder structure to the disk. But I don't recall for BD.

I can't find the post, but I remember one of the experts (in the DVD days) explaining why building to an image was not the same as building to a folder. I always built to a folder, then burned with imgburn (which was creating an image before actually burning the disk); never had a problem. But I was convinced that there are possibilities for differences. Your description of your test comes down to: disk plays and/or can be read - still good. I'd be tempted to do a bit level comparison between the disk and the saved image. I suspect that requires saving an image. The build to folder may not be the same is what I understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In OSX, I just clicked on the Blu-ray folder, asked Finder to Burn, Finder knew there was only one disk drive connected, and away it went. I think it was three keystrokes.

I was surprised that it worked. But there was hardly any navigation on the disk, just a start button and a dozen or so timelines in a Playlist.

Re the life testing, I want to do a bit-level test every week or so to see how many bits are going astray. As well, I'd check to see if each disk actually plays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your best bet if you want long life is to go to M-Disc.

These will not degrade - period - and have been checked by the US Naval department as they were getting these issues with the high humidity & UV as you state in the thread.

M-Disc does not use a vegetable dye and although they require a special burner and special media, these are what you want to be looking at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines