• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

C200 RAW (.CRM) clips are WAY overexposed after export

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running on an iMac Pro, 64gb ram, powerful system.

Everything was fine before the CC2019 update. Now, when I have export videos (to ANY format - H.264, ProRes 422, ProRes HQ, etc), and of the clips that are the .crm raw files from Canon C200, they are way exposed (I'd estimate it to be 3 to 4 stops over). The one constant seems to be when downscaling the 4K clips to 50% to fit within a 1080 timeline. Otherwise, it's pretty random, because in Premiere, the clips look great, and they are well within range when I look at the  It happens when there's no effects on the clips. I started brand new projects, imported just those clips, exported small samples, same thing.

To be clear, everything looks normal within Premiere. Then I export, watch that file (in both Quicktime and VLC players), and the clip looks awful.

Things I've tried:

- trashing preferences

- uninstall then reinstall Premiere

- tested on multiple different projects, all same result

- tested a number of render and preview settings in sequences and project

HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

since all other clips look great, it might be the render maximum quality/max bit export settings bug that does 3 stops over exposure.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also one thing to note, all other clips that are not the RAW files within a video, look great upon export. So literally the only clips with the videos that look awful, are the C200 RAW (.CRM) ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since all other clips look great, it might be the render maximum quality/max bit export settings bug that does 3 stops over exposure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I've always had those two boxes checked on export (because I was told you're supposed to when working with any scaled footage), and I can't believe it was this simple. Thanks so much! And wow, export time is sooo much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My recommendation is to get the exports off the computer and onto a calibrated display from a hardware player as a first step.

You need proper viewing conditions to judge the quality of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, but the simple answer was unchecking the Render at max quality box and render max bit depth boxes on export. Every so often I'll hear people suggest what you did – check on a properly calibrated monitor, etc. But the issue wasn't minor, like a slightly different color shade or something. It was dramatic – 3 stops over exposed, looked horrendous. It's just always obvious in those cases that it's not a monitor/calibration issue, but something totally unrelated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with turning off Maximum Render Quality.  If you have GPU acceleration turned on, you don't need MRQ.  All that does is force certain processes over to the slower CPU and slow things down.

But I do believe that one should always export with Maximum Bit Depth turned on.  The slow down is minimal, about 5% or so.  But it can improve the end results, so it's worth leaving on in all cases, to my thinking.

Neither should have the impact you're seeing.  That it does is...confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are having the same issue! Everything looks great in the program until we go to render our video. The CRM files are over-exposed by 2 to 3 stops upon export. Turning off Maximum Render Quality did not solve the issue for us. As a work-around, we had to under-expose the CRM footage by two stops so that it looks good when rendered. For obvious reasons this is not ideal. If anyone has found the solution, please share. Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines