• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't drag video into timeline premiere cc

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working with PP CC since it came out and have had almost no problems. Now I have a head scratcher. I can't drag a video clip from the project panel to the sequence. The audio comes but the video won't. All I get is the close hand with a line through it when I hover over any of the video tracks. The clips play fine in the source monitor but still cant drag it from source to sequence either. Tried this with clips from several projects and cameras but no go. Started a new project, different name, folder and footage, still have the problem.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 4.36.25 PM (2).png

[Text formatting corrected.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , FAQ , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Hi,
You're here because you can't drag either audio or video to the Timeline. Sorry for the frustration!

SOLUTION: Make sure Source Patching is set up correctly in the Timeline. The video below explains it visually.

Video tutorial

HOW TO:

1. SELECT: Select the Clip in the Project panel. Blue Boxes should "light up" in the far left of the timeline. If they don't, go to Step 2.
  2. PATCH: Click the V1 & A1 "blue boxes" to enable them in the far left of the Timeline. (see the image). 
  3. EDIT: Drag the clip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you highlight V1 the one on the left side of the track header.

Check the help on source patching and track targeting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm thanks! Not sure how they became unselected but it works now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eddie,

It is the editor's responsibility to make sure tracks are patched correctly with every edit. That said, it should be more persistent. I think the "automatic" source patching may be the thing that needs fixing. Thanks for bringing this up. Please create a bug report here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, thanks so for spearing your time to answer questions here. You guys are awesome. Please I have a challenge and I need help. 

I upgraded to a new laptop cori7 a month ago. Everything was working fine, just of a sudden, I can't drag clips around the timeline, I can't add effects, nor transition, I can't import either. The source and program monitor are working fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled severally all to no avail. Once I installed, it starts working fine, but as soon as I shut down and put it on, I can no longer move anything around. I've tried everything, I even formated the system, yet. The problem still persists. Same with Photoshop, audition and after effects. 

The V1 on on timeline is switched on showing color blue. Please someone help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin!

This has only happened, like, one other time in my life in my 8 years of using P.P.  But for the life of me I couldn't remember what I couldn't remember. Totally, frustrating. I was like, " What the ...??!! " I was about to call/msg a bunch of buddies. Then I remembered to check on here. Now that this has happened twice, I'm sure not to forget this simple oversight. 
Until years down the line ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, thank you very much for a solution to a silly but head scratching problem. Thank you Eddiemg21 for asking. I, too, didn't realize the "V1" had become un-highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I was having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're awesome, worked great!  Life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! Now I don't have to pull out any more chunks of my hair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thaaaaaaankssss it worked also like charm i cant describe my happiness

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thanks for the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this was a quick FAST explanation.  Now it works...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann what you said solved the issue.  Like any new program with different operating methods, once you know the operation it seems simple, but when you don't it does not seem simple.  

Regards,

Gary Huber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn. I tried to somehow get this done for nearly a full hour now and THAT is all it takes (thank you!)? Adobe, why, oh why? So much wated time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything I've watched says to highlight V1, but I'm a complete beginner. I don't know where to find the V1 button! The in-app tutorial just says to drag and drop from the project window to the timeline, but it won't let me do that. This is what my windows look like - so where do I find the V1 button, please?

ChrisLeicester_0-1696242301536.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset workspace as there is no timeline (window)

the big black box is the audio meter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked many years with PP without problems. I'm in the same situation as @SweetPeaO'Toole. It can't be right at nobody can't find  solution for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will explain it a bit better.

target and source patching blue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens explained it perfectly! You can't forget there are two boxes to highlight in the V1 track. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mason,

Actually, you really only need one V1 box to light up:

• Only the left V1 box is the important one when it comes to initially editing the clip to the Timeline.
  • For every other operation, it's the V1 box on the right that rules the timeline functions  (copy/paste, for example).

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines