• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get Premiere Pro to open in a remote desktop session

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also goes for After Effects and Media Encoder, but PS, ID, IL all open fine.
I am working from home and am using a laptop to VPN and Remote Desktop into my work computer that I'm doing my editing on. When I open PR, AE, or ME, nothing happens. All of the software opens up as background processes fine, but no software opens to show me. I've tried restarting.

I find it interesting that it's all the software that has to do with video that doesn't work. All others work fine. I'm sure this isn't an Adobe issue, but I was hoping someone on here has been through something similar and can help. Thanks!

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't think the software was designed to work this way.  I support a number of clients and I have cloned their drives and am able to run premiere on my machine with the same premiere project and am able to automatically link to the media without issues.    So no reason you can't work the same way.    but I have a feeling that's not what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite common to offload intensive encoding operation to hyper-farm VM. Certainly it is more convenient to edit footage on local PC. However, for encoding "fire and forget" operation it is better to use dedicated server or cloud. It is quite strange that Adobe haven't considered this scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im logged onto my office pc via vpn and can open premiere, import footage fine but the time line wont play. i can scrub through and see the footage, just cant play it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to fix it. Under Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware, I changed "Device Class" from "ASIO" to "MME", which then allowed "Remote Audio" to be selected as the "Default Output." Now both video and audio playback work fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem how to access preferences when Premiere is not launching. But to confirm the issue is with audio device. I fixed iy by changing options when starting remote desktop connection in -> Local Resources -> Settings... -> Do not play and Do not record.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just want you to know that this setting fixes audio over RDP in general for Premiere Pro. There is another thread (https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/audio-doesn-t-work-over-remote-desktop/td-p/...) I've been following for years trying to get it to work, and your post is what finally worked for me (in Premiere Pro 2023). Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you ever been able to work this way?  as I said, I just don't think the software's meant for this.  I use teamviewer to watch clients work and sometimes take control but even with rocksolid highspeed internet the video does not play smoothly remotely.   Got a client who wants to work with me via zoom this coming weekend.  I've got the media on an identical drive here so we may be able to work something out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

negative, this is my maiden voyage as far as vpns go due to the current climate. Normally if i have to split between office and home studio its for one project at a time and i can simply bring the files home on externals, dump locally and get going at some point. But with a shelter in place order i have to some how get access to around 50tb of content on a remote server for a long term solution, i can only store 15tb at home so vpn was a shot in the dark. 

Im using a gbe controller and have 100mbs internet speed and it was so close to working it seemed. 

just fired up after effects and while i havent gotten the audio to play back yet video playback is working just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there someone at your office who can set up your computer?  teamviewer may work well enough although no promises.  I've definitely had clients working on their computers while I watch remotely.  I can take control and use the mouse and I think if I remember correctly use keyboard shortcuts.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the video did not play smoothly on my computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these applications opening on a 2nd monitor that is not visible in your remote session?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines