• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you cut down save time by using proxies somehow?

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if converting a large (like hour plus timeline/sequence) of clipped up and warp stabilized footage into proxies could somehow reduce the save and auto-save time? Right now the Pr project is 354,808 KB in size. Can you work with proxy only files in a seperate sequence and have the edits made there affect the original media sequence so the proxy sequence can save much much quicker? I'm around a full minute per save right now which sucks massively. I imagine once I create proxies for this sequence which is already taking a long time to save, it will only be larger with the proxies? 

Also, is there anything I should be aware of when creating and editing with prores low quality proxies like issues scaling and rotating footage while in proxy? I saw a comment about it on a youtube video but didn't  understand if it would apply to the proxy and original footage I will be editing with. 

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Rendering will save time. 

Focus on formats that are good for editing and worry less about file size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care how long rendering takes, I want to avoid the 1 minute wait every time my project auto saves. I know for sure the size of the project file being saved is what is taking forever and I'm happy with timeline performance. 

I guess my main question is, can the proxy footage be separated into another project while still being linked so my edits go through to the original footage? The goal is to get the project file size down far enough that I'm not killing so much time waiting every auto save. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sounding like you might want to use Productions even though you're not collaborating with others.

Adobe Premiere Pro User Guide > Using Productions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the proxies are not entered into the project, you'll find no rows for them. The proxies are 'attached' to the clips and you can turn on/off use proxies at will.

Productions are what you are basically describing. You can edit a project with no media rows at all. You can have your media in one project in the production, and just drop those onto a timeline in the editing/sequence project and you can create your sequence without any media being in the project (only the non-visual links to the media project/files). Proxies in  productions work fine.

As for warp. I suggest you warp in AE and export a ProRes file and use that in Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and use the link @Warren Heaton posted, and I've just recently have been using Productions and also Smart Rendering as Warren mention, both work great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh awesome! Thanks for the reply. I haven't looked into productions. I'll do some digging and see what I can figure out. Thanks guys! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines