• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC loses links to render files?

Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render an area, save the project, close the program and load the project, and the previously rendered area comes up red again.  Alternately, close the project and reload it, and you may or may not be asked to relink.

Anyone else seeing this?  The render files are still there; but the links are apparently lost -- and irrevocably, once you close program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 167 Replies 167
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me now on a Mac Mini running Mavericks, then again when updating to Yosemite, and now on a Mid-2012 MBP with Yosemite. It's really annoying to have to re-render the entire project just to play it every time I have to reopen the program. It's a huge waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE READ, (Adobe CS6) FIX

I am not sure if this works for everyone, but it did fix the issue for me. It is very simple.

1. Let Premiere load your project.

2. Go to File > New > Sequence and create a new sequence, same settings as the original sequence for your project.

3. Go back to the original sequence and copy and paste everything in your project.

4. Go to your new sequence and paste.

The new sequence should contain all rendered files.

Hope this helps someone. It was super frustrating to deal with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using trial of CC2014 and have found renders of warp stabilizer the only renders getting lost so far. Simply closing the program and reopening it loses renders. This is basic stuff. Perhaps Adobe is not in the running as a professional tool as they believe they are. Something so basic should not be broken for so long as I have seen in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2015 Jan 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had Premiere Pro CC for the past two years but just started using it daily a few weeks ago and I just wanted to add that I have this exact problem with my render files as well.  In my case I'm using a lot of after effects compositions within my timeline.  My media is spread between my SSD Cache drive, my Creative Cloud Folder, and all of my captured media is on a local 18TB RAID 6 array.

I don't understand how this issue can persist within a professional editing platform.  If I'm generating render files that are unchanged and they're stored in the same location, why are they always getting unlinked?  Obviously I'm naive to the intricacies of computer programming, but as a promotional editor this seems like a really major problem with what should be a simple solution.

As I frequently work with nested effects and after effects compositions this is going to be a real issue for me if I can't find a viable workaround.  I haven't tried any of the suggestions above in earnest, but will update this week if I do find any workaround that works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  Adobe CC 2014 and warp stabilized clips lose their rendered status after closing/relaunching.  Have tried empty sequence trick and creating a new (copy of the) project to no avail.  Haven't tested extremely thoroughly, but I noticed it on warp stabilizer.  I thought I was crazy, like "Didn't I render this last time?"

-h

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe, fix this problem. It is unnaceptable to lose hours of renders because of this bug.

Our work depends on it, and your customers too.

Fix it now.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been battling with this issue for weeks, I managed to have an Adobe representative fix the problem for me using TeamViewer to control my computer however the actions he did were too complex for me to follow. Initially he changed all the read/write settings and then I couldn't keep up...

Anyway, I've been trying everything I can to fix this problem and may have come across a solution to some of the users here. I'm running a brand new 27" iMac 5K, 4GHz i7, 32GB Ram, Radeon R9 M295X Graphics card... no shortage of computing power.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

In your problematic project, where rendered clips that have warp stabiliser applied are not saving (remain RED when reopened) -

Go to Sequence Settings > Editing Mode: Custom

Set your Video Frame-size a Frame-rate to what is should be

Preview File Format: Quicktime

Codec: Apple ProRes 422

This will delete all of your render files, accept this and then trash them from the "Adobe Previews Files" .PRV folder. Render your sequence. Save the project, quit Premiere Pro and DO NOT OPEN IT FROM THE ADOBE LAUNCH WINDOW. Open the project from your Finder - with any luck it is now fixed!

Please let me know if this works for anyone else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, but in my sequence settings is not possible to change the preview file format.

Any idea why?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kinda crazy to think that launching from the finder vs. launching from the Adobe launch window would have any effect on the render files but this seems to work for me. Now if I could just get the program to not crash when I exit it we'll be in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New (for the 3rd time) Premiere user here. I'm getting the same issue with render files coming up missing upon relaunch. No third party plugins just warp stabilizer on an MXF file from a Canon C300. On my system this happens not only to stabilized clips but also clips with a title over them and clips with the three way color corrector applied to them.

I'm on a late 2009 Mac Pro with 2.93Ghz Quadcore processors, OS 10.9.5, 12 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 5770. Latest Premiere Pro CC 2014 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me just discovered a strange fix. First off it's happening with my NESTED clips. The way it fixed for me is, say i have timelineCreate from where the original unnested clips were dropped, and that's from where i made the nested clips. And say i have timelineStringout where all the nested clips are dropped. In this case i had timelineStringout RED and in need of rendering.. but opening up timelineCreate again, and then going back to timelineStringout, now the red was gone. It's like PPCC had to "see" where it was getting those original clips from...??..to remember they had already been rendered.

Anyway, still a bug.

Wow so this thread has been up for near two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone who is having this problem with rendering. It is happening to me, too. I have tried opening project with the 'Open Recent' option but have the same problem, I have to re-render.

I still have the rendered files in the Premiere folder.

I have been rendering my previews at a quarter size for faster rendering and I have noticed that my sequence settings have defaulted to full size after I have re-opened my project. Could this be the problem?

I'm ready to give up on Premiere Pro. Does anyone have a solution.

Regards,

Brian Baxter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I now see that I am not the only one having this problem.  I have even deleted the "red" clips fro the project file, which deletes it all the way through, saved the file, built a new timeline with the clips in question, saved, and rendered the new timeline.

Then I imported the new timeline into the corrupted timeline, pulled them into place, and saved the timeline.  Within 5 minutes of working on the timeline, the clips went "red" again.  It ruined a show I built for the FTW Ranch in Texas.

I had a guy tell me he had the same problem, but what he did to solve it was to delete all the preview files which he says solved the problem.  The only problem is I don't know how to locate the preview files.  Anybody help me with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed the problem by switching to Avid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robb_alb wrote:

I fixed the problem by switching to Avid

Ha hA, I was googling Media Composer yesterday, seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***FILE PATHS***

Something that may contribute if not be the cause of lost renders is the file path interpretation.

We have a Mac with OSX in Portuguese.

Paths on the command line in OSX Terminal are shown in English...  e.g. /Users/rob/etc/etc...

Paths in Finder on the OSX Desktop are shown in Portuguese...   e.g. /Usuários/rob/etc/etc...

Adobe Premiere (CS5) (which is in English on the Portuguese Mac) uses paths as follows...

Under Preferences > Media, the paths are /Users/rob/...

Under Project Settings > Scratch Disks, the paths are /Usuários/rob...

(Same on a Windows system in Portuguese using Adobe CS6)

Different parts of Premiere therefore interpret paths differently - this may also be the problem with Third party add-ons.

What I have done on the Mac is to change the Preferences and Project Settings to a simple path of, for example "/Adobe/Temp" which cannot be interpreted by OSX or Premiere in any other way than "/Adobe/Temp".

I've made sure that the path is short (to avoid truncation of the path + render file name. Some older office software for example, couldn't open files with

a path name longer than 256 characters). Maybe Render files are saved OK but can't be opened by another part of Premiere / Third Party software??

I removed special characters e.g. ã à í ô ü @ from this path (I had a media file fail to open on the Windows system until I changed á to a).

Once I changed all the paths under....

Preferences > Media

and  

Project Settings > Scratch Disks

I let Premiere index / conform all the media again before running a full render again. Yep again !!

I'm following Preston Herrick's step by step advice (30/01/13)

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1144624?start=0&tstart=30

(Thanks Preston!!) by saving and closing the project with a blank sequence selected.

When I open the project, I wait for all the media to load and the External Disk light to stop flashing.

(I've had to save capture files on an external disk because of disk space).

IMPORTANT

(and this helps if you have an External Disk)...

Premiere reports what Media it has LOADED - NOT what it is LOADING (You may think Premiere has finished because there is nothing written at the bottom. Because of this I wait for the External Disk light to stop flashing.

(My External Disk is only used with Premiere).

Once all is done, I click on the Main sequence tab.

GREEN !!!

I hope this helps and explains why the problem occurs with some projects and in some folder locations...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with losing renders:

MacBook Pro with video files and cache on external drive connected over thunderbolt

OS X 10.10.1

PP 2014.2

Warp Stabilizer clips in nested sequences

The different fixes posted in this thread have not worked for me.

I am starting to get tired of all the bugs in Premiere, its seems like I could post a new bug ever day to Adobe (I have posted this one). I though FCP 7 was unstable towards the end but PP CC is starting to take the crown which is frustrating because they are doing so much development but the base platform still seems to be pretty flakey.

It would seem to that this bug has been around for nearly 2 years with no real input from Adobe, here on the forum, seems a little strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a few things to check here when tracking down the problem (if indeed there is one).  Most people who've reported an actual problem have had files disappear while they were watching the folder.  This was due to certain inconsistencies in filters and XMP based data.  Unfortunately, the same mechanism that allows you to instantly update other programs with changes you make in your current front application is the mechanism that may be causing this problem.  Some of the programming for the opening of projects forces the XMP data to change, which calls the render engines in the filters to re-render in case there have been changes.  By turning this off, you lose the ability to instantly update open programs with cached data.  The way to combat this last part is to reopen any program you need to or switch to it, and see if the dialogue comes up to update the data.

There are quite a few who report a problem but don't actually try to give any kind of detail about their system or the circumstances that go along with the problem.  Their cause may be completely different.  Some report better results with an existing empty sequence selected, which may update the XMP of only that sequence on closing, and only the xmp of that sequence on opening.  Hard to tell when they won't give any other info.

"I rendered and closed the file, but now it's not rendered" is not a legitimate problem description.

"I rendered a 1080i 29.97fps 48k sequence with ProRes clips with the main sequence selected in project panel and a clip selected in the timeline, a warp filter about halfway through, a few crossfades in audio and video throughout; on a mac pro, i7 x.xghz with 16gb of ram (cuda\no cuda) NNN graphics card at MMM VRAM; AV source is on a network server\local drive, caches are on main drive\network\external, previews are on a network drive\internal\external; with these preferences for Metadata: Write XMP on import\open on\of, keep cached copies next to originals on\off, render audio with video on\off;  AND when I reopened the project, the render was completely undone"  THAT is a problem description that can be used for troubleshooting.  Please be as specific as possible.  It helps troubleshooters work backwards to recreate, narrow down and eventually patch the problem; it also allows programmers who troubleshoot to compare functions for the common operations and trace the data in those operations as well as the logic of the algorithms to find and fix the problem with either an added value\function or by removing\adjusting existing functions.

It is entirely conceivable that the XMP rewrites are causing issues with linkage, and when filters are involved, the newer being compared with the older causes the files to be deleted or at least unlinked.  However, recent updates seem to have patched this for some, while other continue to contend that their program doesn't have the fix, and they have not even described their work environment.  One or two have actually seen this "fixed" on its own, apparently because they didn't realize that there was so much data coming from their network drives...  Remember, if you render previews, it takes a while to load them, since they all have their own headers with metatags.  IF they are on an external or network drive, if the format of said drive is in any way different from your main drive, you may experience this issue.  WAIT for up to 10 minutes per hour of video previews to load fully before opening sequences.  Close all your timelines and save before you close the program\project.  This will keep your view fresh when it opens, and if you wait for the 10min it takes to brew a pot and pour a cup, you may find that the problem is all in your "IG" addicted mind (IG is instant gratification).

I work primarily in CS6 on a 10.9.x 2008 MBP with 4gb ram, 256mb Geforce video card, 2 internal 1tb drives, several firewire\esata RAID, network Storage for render farming, and I haven't seen this ever occur, unless I load up from a network location.  That is why I use disk images on network drives.  Headers are loaded locally into swap, caching is done locally, and previews are all on disk images while I'm cutting.  When I render, it sees local connections in the VOLUMES mount location, so when it loads on open, it loads the render headers, and shows them as rendered;  I've tried to play back quickly on open... ...which shows the networking speed even when rendered, and occasionally chops a little, especially over wireless when done immediately after open of a project.  It would appear that this problem is mostly attributed to XMP headers and caching for one part, but more to networking and patience for another.  When I can, I keep my previews and copies next to originals in preferences, but they do have to be relinked to Watch folders when rendering out the whole movie from after effects using a render farm.

My workflow:

sources to after effects together, color balance, Renderfarm to image folders, RAR split and burn to discs, rip audio out using AME, render out to new source video when done.  It allows a lot more versatility in resizing for zooms.  I'll be putting up a little tutorial on this process but I just wanted you to see how easy it can be to keep your renders small and easy to manage.  Simply size your images appropriately, and you can create lossless proxy videos.  You can also use compressed encodes to build proxies that actually have better quality zooms, and reduces artifacts and noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere CS6 has not saved a render for us for as long as I can remember (on the machine still running CS6).

The machine is an i7 950 running Win7 64bit at 3.07Ghz with 16GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card (a temporary solution for the video on this machine).  The OS drive is a 250GB Samsung SSD, but desktop, libraries, etc. are set to another hard drive to avoid constant writing to the OS drive.   At one point we were using the video card's CUDA processing, but we learned quickly that setting CS6 to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" is faster and more stable.  Various FX (notoriously Red Giant stuff) would often cause the video card to choke and crash --meaning Premiere would simply say: "Sorry, the card isn't capable of handling that effect; we're closing the program even though you were in the middle of something."  Seriously aggravating.

Active projects live on a dual GSpeed esPRO set up in RAID5 with 8TB of storage over miniSAS connected to a dedicated RAID card.  We see read/write speeds around 1000MB/s.

The scratch drives are set to a dedicated scratch folder on the GSpeed RAID5 array, and the Premiere caches are set to a local RAID0 array set up specifically for Adobe caches (each product gets it's own top-level folder).

No idea why Premiere CS6 won't retain renders when we re-open projects, but it's pretty darn annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try turning off the writing of xmp, switch between rendering audio with video and not, and of course, make sure drives where previews are kept do not have any kind of permissions structure (eg fat or exfat) as ive seen this occur on mac when using an ntfs formatted drive, but not with the two i just mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having a similar problem with a 60 minute Premiere Elements sequence, almost all of which required rendering. Sometimes on relaunch, the rendered files loaded but mostly they didn't and I had to re-render nearly every time. I eventually found a 2-fold solution which worked for my project:

(1) before rendering, select "HIGH QUALITY, SLOW SPEED" in Timeline render quality box in Edit \ Preferences \ General.

I found that when I'd selected "Draft quality, high speed", the render would NOT reload on relaunch.

But no render files would reload without the second & third step:

(2) After saving, quit the programme directly using the X in top right corner: do NOT close the project first.

(3) Similarly, to open the programme, select "New project", then open the project via File \ Open, not via Adobe \ open existing file.

Thanks to dominicg84467524 for getting me to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update for anyone who still experiencing a problem with this.

I got in contact with Zac Lam‌ who provided some feedback on this topic in the past. He was under the believe that this may be fixed but we've managed to get a set of steps so he can reproduce the bug. He has marked the bug for a further review by the bug committee so hopefully we'll get some idea of whether this will ever get properly fixed, in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same problem. Would love some feedback from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem with render (preview) files getting disconnected is so brutally inexcusable, I cannot express it in words. I've been an editor for about 30 years, and it's GOT to be fixed. I concur that it's clips with Warp (all my shaky drone or walking footage that I stabilize)… and some other types filters in all possibility.

My workaround is to import the render files and replace them over the clips that got rendered. It's uber tedious (unless the render files are numerically named) and WAY unnecessary, but I've done this process with other apps that have had this issue - like FCP a few versions back and Media 100 at one point. But ALL these software developers fixed this glitch in a hurry. ADOBE!!! Are you listening?

I'm very new to Adobe, and I'm beginning to hate them already. In addition to this… all the sign in, password changing, birthdate, ad nauseum. STOP already. Fix your software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2015 Aug 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully, I'm in a trial period with CC 2015... I'll go back to CS6 and take another look at the goofy FCP X if they don't fix this within 15 days....this is inexcusable, really...after all, this is 2015, as Adobe's version indicates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines