• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC2017 Update: Chapter Markers in Premiere do not export. Don't see in Encore

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to CC 2017, my chapter Markers did not export with the .m2v file for an mpeg2 DVD, so my Chapter Markers are not showing up in Encore. I was about to jump for joy until this happened because my memory leak issues (crashing while rendering long projects) went away. Even found most of my clips without the dreaded Red Zone.

Anyone experience this? Have you experienced successful or unsuccessful  Chapter Marker exports under CC 2017?

Anyone resolved this if they had an issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

I am providing this information here, since I don’t see a better place right now. I always forget the details of what have been chapter export issues.

Platinum, I am NOT suggesting that any of these issues are your problem. The one area for you to check is that you do in fact have XMP/XMPSES files in the folder where  you exported your MPEG2 Blu-ray file. As I note below, it is possible to turn off the sidecar export, and you’d have no way of knowing that happened without checking.

Otherwise, prov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me. I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to Add Chapter Marker, so make sure that you are using Add Chapter Marker instead of Marker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a correct answer, but thanks for taking time to respond.

I don't have trouble creating Chapter Markers in Premiere Pro CC2017.

I said, the Chapter Markers don't export. I don't see them in ENCORE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote that they do work for me, so how do you export, what settings do you use. Please post a screen dump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said you can add a chapter marker. So can I.Can you say you see the chapter markers in your exported file?

As you can see, I am able to insert copious amounts of chapters in my timeline. I'm asking one question and you are answering another .. for a problem I am not having. But, thanks for the response.

Chapter-MArkers.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you type something in as the name of the chapter mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking one question and you are answering another

You actually misunderstood.  Roger is saying that he is able to export his chapter markers into Encore.  Because there is a difference, he was checking to make sure you were indeed adding chapter markers, and not just markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this. PR CC 2017 exports chapters correctly as mpeg2 dvd, mpeg2 BD, and h.264 BD.

Platinum, your markers show as red, and the default means these are chapter markers. (Do check this,  however. They must be chapter markers.) You have no yet indicated how you are exporting them. Only certain file formats will carry the chapters. Also, you must keep the files in the same directory as the xmp/xmpses files.

At one point, the chapter markers needed to have names, but mine all exported fine with no added info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned I successfully did this in 1503.4 and earlier ... since the earliest renditions of Premiere.

But, here goes:

Add Chapter Marker.jpgChapter Marker Dialog with Name.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how you are exporting them, not how you are creating them ?

I exported with one chapter marker using QuickTime and the Codec H264

This picture after i imported my video into my Timeline

Muhannad,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ... that is what I should be seeing.

I am using what Adobe told me years ago I should use to make a DVD ... as far back as CS3 I think ... mpeg2-DVD and mpeg2 Bluray.

(I had called them because I knew there should be a format that would not cause Encore to have to re-render the footage ... and these formats were it.)

I got with tech support last night and they said the engineers weren't trying to maintain backward compatibility with mpeg2 Blu-ray and mpeg2-DVD. My question was "why do you not maintain the ability to create Chapters in a DVD?" You suddenly stop supporting this in a project where the target medium is still in demand? When is the last time you bought a DVD in a store and it had no Chapters?

He then went to one of his techs and came back, had me use H.264 Blu-ray and instead of nothing, I had the Chapter Markers embedded in the video as I would expect. (But, he asked me to I imported it back into a Premiere Pro timeline ... as you have demonstrated).

At first I was happy ... but, while he was talking, I quickly imported it into Encore.

After I import the video, I get the following error (but I see the Chapter Markers):

Some markers could not be legalized - PP CC2017.jpg

Though the Chapter Markers are there, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and bite me with some issue I am not detecting right now, because this error says there is something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marker need to have a medium distance between each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Marker need to have a medium distance between each other."

I don't understand what you mean. I had no issue with distances between markers in this project before CC2017. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe suggest using EDL in my workflow to get the project completed. But, when I read their documentation it recommends only one video track and no more than 4 audio tracks ... and I have more, of course.

I kicked around until I saw the Export Chapter markers (to .csv) function. I used that to create a file, brought the previously rendered mpeg2 Blu-ray file into Encore, and copy/pasted the Chapter locations the .csv file provided, creating a chapter marker at each of those points Encore allowed me to paste the location into the timeline.

I now have an ISO and DVD for the customer. But, what a pain and a nail-biter. (And I'm still left with that error when placing the footage on an Encore Timeline.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this error says there is something wrong.

It's saying that you are not allowed to place chapter markers where you want to, the Blu-ray specification won't allow it.

You can avoid this error by placing your markers in PP on GOP boundaries.  For 24 fps material, add makers only on frames 0 or 12.  For 30 fps, on 0 or 15.  For 60 fps, on 0 or 30.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim_Simon. I will check that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon wrote:

this error says there is something wrong.

It's saying that you are not allowed to place chapter markers where you want to, the Blu-ray specification won't allow it.

You can avoid this error by placing your markers in PP on GOP boundaries. For 24 fps material, add makers only on frames 0 or 12. For 30 fps, on 0 or 15. For 60 fps, on 0 or 30.

I think I worked around that once before Jim with export out of Premiere Pro CC 20XX, import into Premiere Pro CS6 and then dynamic link the sequence into Encore. Think I did, pretty sure, but not retracing my steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible, but that would reencode the material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can you say you see the chapter markers in your exported file?"

Yes i can and that´s what i have been saying since my very first post but for some unknown reason you cannot get that. I then asked for a screen dump of you export settings but for yet another unknown reason you failed to get that as well and has not yet posted that screen dump.

I know the answer for "Some markers could not be legalized into DVD chapters" and how to solve it for you but since you seem to be unable to get it i don´t. I was willing to help but not anymore cause you have an attitude problem you need to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averdahl,I apologize if you feel I have an attitude. I misunderstood your questions.

It appeared you were telling me I didn't understand how to create chapter markers when I've been doing that for years.

And I put up screen dumps showing you the marker creation.

But, ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I type this without having access to my editing computer.

In Premiere Pro Export Settings> bottom of page> the button used to be called something, then changed to something else (I guess XMPSES currently)> anyway, bottom of Export Settings, kinda bottom right center> click that

I select on Export Setting window> XMPSES, then another pop-up window appears, something like Metadata options> all I do is click apply, or yes, or something that gets me past that dialog screen, BUT, at the top of that Metadata dialog screen, the option of 'include as sidecar' or 'burn into file' and maybe a third option.

All I do is select XMPSES on Premiere Pro's Export Settings window and make sure that button is highlighted (blue border around the button - not easily noticeable).

After selecting XMPSES, I export as MPEG2-DVD, import into Encore and my Chapter Markers are there.

I do not see anyone mention that button, so hope this helps. And also, I thought Encore DVD maximum Chapter limit was 19, or was that Encore Blu-Ray, but either way, looks like too many Chapters for Encore DVD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point: dvd 4/3 is 36 and widescreen 18. Blueray is 18 also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that too many Chapter Markets would cause a fail to see in the export file, they should all still show up, but linking them all in Encore would expose the limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 36/18 is the limit to the number of buttons/links on a menu. There is a limit of 99 chapters per timeline. I don't recall whether there was changes in this over time, but it is related to the DVD spec and Encore using autoVTS.

The button is "Metadata," and is selected by default with "sidecar" for (I think) all the DVD/BD exports (mpeg2dvd, mpeg2BD, H.264BD).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point: dvd 4/3 is 36 and widescreen 18. Blueray is 18 also.

You can have 100 chapters in a DVD or a Blu-ray, the first default included.

The numbers you refer to are the number of buttons on a DVD/Blu-ray menu. (DVD 4:3=36 buttons, DVD 16:9=18 buttons, Blu-ray=32 buttons)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines