• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CEP panel Questions: 1) Is Chrome necessary for debugging or can Edge (a chromium work)? 2) ...more

Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I reached this point:

Bed30321077z973_0-1705784118186.png

The buttons works but the debuggins page does not seem to work.

FIRST QUESTION:

1A) Do I HAVE to use CHROME to be able to access the debugging page at http://localhost:8088/?

I tried on Edge, and I am not getting anything from the upload image cep example, it shows this error/problem:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VM112:32

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'classList') at onResize (VM112:32:38) at HTMLDocument.setupMobileNav (VM112:59:3)
 onResize@VM112:32
 setupMobileNav@VM112:59

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot, this is on the browser EDGE:

Bed30321077z973_1-1705784361284.png

1B) Is there a problem particular here?

Yes I have added in the .debug entry otherwise the panel would not show up at all:

Bed30321077z973_0-1705786122552.png

I tried with another index.html (but I kept = all other files from the "upload image" example, as they are)

=> new index:

<html>
<head>
    <title>Hello World!</title>
</head>
<body>

<h1>Hello World!</h1>

<!-- Add a button labeled “Click this!” -->
    <button id="myButton">Click this!</button>

<script type="text/javascript">
    /* Add a click handler to the button */
    document.getElementById('myButton')
        .addEventListener('click', function() {
            /* When the button is clicked, output a string to the JavaScript Console */
            console.log("I can't believe you clicked!");
        });
    </script>

</body>
</html>

Bed30321077z973_0-1705788005055.png

Still nothing in the debugging page of EDGE browser (I changed it to 8089) despite clicking on that button and changing the index file:

Bed30321077z973_1-1705788046433.png

Second point:

I am trying to understand how to make the extensions work in specific version vs "common files":

The panel seems to have showed up when added here: "..\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions"

But when I tried to put it here:

C:\Users\Name with Spaces\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\23.0\UXP\PluginsStorage\Internal

=> nothing showed up!

How comes?

Bed30321077z973_0-1705786503875.png

IS that expected behaviour?

Third point:

Despite having "Photoshop 2024" :

Bed30321077z973_2-1705784639542.png

I chose the value 25 Because of:

Bed30321077z973_3-1705784756520.png

<Host Name="PHSP" Version="25" />
<Host Name="PHXS" Version="25" />

Am I on the right path ?

Is that the general rule to follow when writing these lines for the rest of the adobe products? (alwayws open HELP-> SYSTEM INFO -> And take that version for the manifest?

Fourth point:

Is CSXS v = 11.0 the very last one?

-----------------

What else should I know?

I really don't want to install chrome, can I get the debugging working with another premium than Chrome please?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , SDK , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

So in order to continue visual code as I used to do, I simply have to open the extension "folder" of the CEP

> that I am testing (com.my.test-1.0.0) inside visual code? And then run the jsx? But then that would mean
> I am not "testing" the other parts (indes.js, index.html..etc)?

Yes, you debug your extension by opening the extension directory in VSCode. 
VSCode can debug both the JavaScript and ExtendScript portions of your extension; that's why both configurations are included in PProPanel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> 1A) Do I HAVE to use CHROME to be able to access the debugging page at http://localhost:8088/?

No. The PProPanel sample contains a JavaScript debugging configuration, for use with Visual Studio Code. Often, mismatched port numbers can cause debugging difficulties.

>I am trying to understand how to make the extensions work in specific version vs "common files"

Moving to different directories won't work. Also, CEP and UXP are completely different technologies.
Yes, you're on the right track; specify the supported host version(s) in your extension's manifest.

Is CSXS v = 11.0 the very last one?

No; CEP12 exists, but PPro hasn't yet integrated it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The PProPanel sample contains a JavaScript debugging configuration, for use with Visual Studio Code. Often, mismatched port numbers can cause debugging difficulties.

I am used to to use visual code to run extendscript code and look at errors if there any, except I never had that code inside a "CEP" configuration. So in order to continue visual code as I used to do, I simply have to open the extension "folder" of the CEP that I am testing (com.my.test-1.0.0) inside visual code? And then run the jsx? But then that would mean I am not "testing" the other parts (indes.js, index.html..etc)?

There is an example from the tead here: https://assets.adobe.com/public/8c35be84-22fb-40fa-7715-b3fd94f474a6

BUT IT USES EXTENDSCRIPT TOOLKIT, which DOES NOT EXIST anymore right?

So it's kind of confusing a little bit, not sure how to go about this. I was trying an example on Adobe Phosothop, but I did not find any simple example in Premiere pro yet.

Not sure if you said it's either chrome or visual code, or if you meant: no you can do it in other browsers. (Don't know what I might have mistmatched, also I don't recall configuring anythign in my files to "link" the extension to a browser except this line: <Host Name="PHXS" Port="8089"/>, <Host Name="PHSP" Port="8089"/>, in the hostlist of .debug (I was trying photoshop but it's the same principle and the localhost (8089) did not show anything)

One high priority question for me, is how do I get that PANEL presented on that video? I really really really want to try it, look:

Bed30321077z973_0-1705793314894.png

(It's on the video of the adobe staff).

------

you mention UXP being different from CEP, sure but .. eveything I have tried to do up until now is following the different links related to panels (aka cep?) I am not sure if I have reached the UXP area yet or not, in any case its PREMIERE PRO that interests me ultimately, and I think it only has CEP.

---------------------

>Yes, you're on the right track; specify the supported host version(s) in your extension's manifest.

Thank you! I just tried adding that line and indeed the extension now appears in PPRO menus.

I just don't understand how do find the RIGHT VERSION digit? When I click "Help -> About Premiere Pro" All I see is V.24, so I really don't know if there is a rule, or a secret to know which line of code works best. I chose the line you gave me , so the digit 9:

<Host Name="PPRO" Version="9.0" />

But why is the 9? I have no idea. (Unless it has no effect).

Finally:

I have read so much this word "Samples" when I was hearing about this so called CEP Panels (before I start dwelling in them), that " I THOUGHT" there might be some :

- Use cases ready to use Panels to test out

- With all their codes and relevant files to try out

But all I am seeing in the different repositories I am trying to open (there are many pages it can get confusing), is:

The CEP Test Panel shows the full capabilities of CEP panels.

Which contains a "mix" of different files of all types, and they are not organized like the tutorial shows:

Bed30321077z973_1-1705793931798.png

, wait, I just had .. a eureka moment.. i guess, are all these files the actual panel shown on the video I linked? I see a .debug file, BUT I don't see a manifest file nor a bundle ID (in order to be able to create an extension folder to try this out?)

This is very interesting, I might need a little push to see it through, just the mechanichs of the beginning to gel me fully started.
Thanks again for any extra input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in order to continue visual code as I used to do, I simply have to open the extension "folder" of the CEP

> that I am testing (com.my.test-1.0.0) inside visual code? And then run the jsx? But then that would mean
> I am not "testing" the other parts (indes.js, index.html..etc)?

Yes, you debug your extension by opening the extension directory in VSCode. 
VSCode can debug both the JavaScript and ExtendScript portions of your extension; that's why both configurations are included in PProPanel. 

>...BUT IT USES EXTENDSCRIPT TOOLKIT, which DOES NOT EXIST anymore right?

Right. That's why PProPanel now contains a debugging configuration, which uses the ExtendScript debugger in VSCode.

I did not find any simple example in Premiere pro yet.
One high priority question for me, is how do I get that PANEL presented on that video?

> I really really really want to try it, look:
>(It's on the video of the adobe staff).

Yeah, that's me. I sound so young! Here's the panel:

https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/Samples/tree/master/PProPanel

>Not sure if you said it's either chrome or visual code, or if you meant: no you can do it in other browsers.

Using Chrome is not required. You can try any browser that allows JavaScript debugging; PProPanel contains a JavaScript debugging configuration for use within VSCode.

> its PREMIERE PRO that interests me ultimately, and I think it only has CEP.

Correct.

>But why is the 9?

That line from the manifest tells extension hosts that "This extension is compatible with PPro, version 9.0 or higher".

I THOUGHT" there might be some :

> - Use cases ready to use Panels to test out

> - With all their codes and relevant files to try out

Yep, that's what the /Samples repo is all about. 🙂

>are all these files the actual panel shown on the video I linked?

Yes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol that's awesome stuff! Thanks for the response.

I will have to try the debugging more as I advance and might come up later with new posts, but not before trying out this golden mountain of info.

Please give me a SPOILER so I can KNOW from now (I can learn later as I am trying stuff and testing every day):

The spoiler I am looking for/asking about: Will I be able with CEP tech (and ES) to realize the following functions somewhat:

- Cut videos already existing in a video tracks in certain timestamps and obtain 2 videos out of it?

- Apply effects to clips?

- Apply transition effects between 2 clipps?

- Inserting Texts with different styles (This one you have already answered I think when I was asking about automating inserting text), I will need to go check that response again and learn how to apply whan you mentioned.

- THIS ONE important:

I want to EXTEND a video (a clip) after it has been inserted to the video track, using the code.

For example the code would check for some value using some algorith in jsx, then it will send an info "extend by adding 3 seconds", then the targeted clip would be extended, or .. actually I have a better solution.. the clip would be copied but only for 3 seconds. -----[-Tclip-]+[3s_sameclip]------

=> Will I be able inseert a clip for only a part of its duration and not its full duration then? (I only want 3 seconds of the existing clip).

=> OR AT LEAST,  add the clip as is, and be able to CUT IT after 3 s and then delete the second part, leaving only the first part (the 3 sec), see?

- I guess same questions for everything audio.

- Same question for BETA new audio functions (ai?) etc.

What can CEP really do in term of automation, that  standalone ExtendScript+VisualCode cannot do?

Thanks again:), It's again awesome to have this ability to exchange in the forum such like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> - Cut videos already existing in a video tracks in certain timestamps and obtain 2 videos out of it?

I don't know what 'obtain' means [above], but yes, it is possible to insert/append trackItems.

> - Apply effects to clips?
No.

> - Apply transition effects between 2 clipps?

No.

> - Inserting Texts with different styles (This one you have already answered I think when I was asking about automating inserting text),

Yes.
>I want to EXTEND a video (a clip) after it has been inserted to the video track, using the code.
You can change the in/out points of a trackItem, relative to the source projectItem; that's entirely dependent on there actually being video to insert.
> I guess same questions for everything audio.

Yes; audio trackItems are simply trackItems.
>Same question for BETA new audio functions (ai?) etc.

No ExtendScript APIs have been added for recent AI-based audio enhancements.

>What can CEP really do in term of automation, that  standalone ExtendScript+VisualCode cannot do?

That depends on what you want to automate; CEP allows for any automation which could normally be performed, using JavaScript or a web page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cuting a video in the track means using this icon:

Bed30321077z973_0-1705845492658.png

This tool cuts a video clip into 2 NEW clips!

>that's entirely dependent on there actually being video to insert.

Yeah well I wanted to "add" video to the end of the video, but I think I came out with another solution we will see.

Ok thanks for the informations.

I asked you in the another post about the ADDING effects and or transitions. I was asking if it's possible to adjust the premiere.jsx and a function that will let us do that? it's very important for me. If you missed the question in the other post you can answer here. Or you can answer there and ignore this one. Sorry everything is kinda connected thus duplicate question (edit: and another reason is: this is so important for me).

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>This tool cuts a video clip into 2 NEW clips!

From a programmatic perspective, no it doesn't. 🙂 It adjusts the length of an existing trackItem, and inserts a new trackItem.

>I asked you in the another post about the ADDING effects and or transitions. I was asking if it's possible to adjust the premiere.jsx and a function that will let us do that?

No, we will not be further expanding PPro's ExtendScript API. [Premiere.jsx is ExtendScript code that uses PPro's ExtendScript API]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines