• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Client wants vertical video for smartphone ad - best dimensions/pixel aspect ratio?

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2015 Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help! This is a two part question...

Firstly, what is the best dimension for a vertical video on a smartphone? I would imagine that since horizontal is typically 16:9 that it should be 9:16. Therefore something like 1920X1080 would be 1080X1920. But is the average smartphone screen size 16:9/9:16? Are these the best dimensions?

Additionally, they gave me some footage that was shot 1920X1080 on a DSLR (but want a vertical product). What size matte should I create so that I may lay it over the footage in the sequence to move it around and reframe?

Thanks again!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

So nobody quite got it ---

from the iPhone 5 onward, Apple boasts a 16:9 screen. Most android/google phone already had a 16:9 screen at that point. Therefore, to export a vertical video, you would want it to be 9:16. (16:9 standing up!)

Using this link: https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/ I figured out the highest amount of pixels I could have without stretching things out.

So for 1080p (1080X1920) the highest quality vertical video you may output is 720 Horizontal by 1280 v

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assume its 16:9 but  you can check the presets.

Why do you need a "vertical product"?

If so...you need to either crop your footage in your full size sequence before exporting to a Mobile phone preset.

or scale it into a custom vertical sequence where the sides will be cut off (wasted)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I need to create a custom vertical sequence. What are the proper dimensions/pixel ratio for mobile? is it true 16:9 (on its side?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the H264 Export presets for Mobile phones to see the dimensions.

can-of-worms.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nixpix66‌,

Most smartphone screens have 16:9 ratio. In my opinion, if it video is shot normally (landscape) it should have no problems playing back on a smartphone as all the smartphones play video in landscape (using the auto-rotate feature) so there is no need to change the ratio to 9:16.

And most smartphones will be able to playback 1080p videos (even if they have 720p screens they scale the video down) and high-end smartphones that have a 1080p screen will playback the videos in full resolution. So dimension should not be an issue.

Hope this helps..

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AME presets show 320 x 240 on a square pixel for both Android and Iphones.

Yes..I run my show reels as 16:9 on my Samsung (Android) device and it looks great - Landscape.  Maybe some scaling goes on???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shooternz‌,

To be honest i don't think a lot of people own those Android smartphones (320 * 240) and iPhones (3 and 3gs) anymore. But it's just an opinion may be there are

Regards,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mines an S3 Galaxy which I believe has a 1280 x 720 screen but there are no presets for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nobody quite got it ---

from the iPhone 5 onward, Apple boasts a 16:9 screen. Most android/google phone already had a 16:9 screen at that point. Therefore, to export a vertical video, you would want it to be 9:16. (16:9 standing up!)

Using this link: https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/ I figured out the highest amount of pixels I could have without stretching things out.

So for 1080p (1080X1920) the highest quality vertical video you may output is 720 Horizontal by 1280 vertical.

And for 720p (720X1280) the highest quality vertical video you may output is 576 horizontal by 1024 vertical.

Use H.264 and .mp4 settings. This looks great on the app, and the client is very happy. You can save these as presets in premiere/media encoder, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me... thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since this is still the Apple forum result that comes up when googling this question, here is the answer: It is not for us to question why a person wants to output vertical, it is our obligation to help them do it.

Current iPhone vertical output is 1080x1920 in HD and 2160 × 3840 in 4K UHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines