Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CPU usage only 40-50%

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Please, can could someone tell me, how it is possible that Premiere Pro uses on Warp Stabilizer only 40-50% performance of my Intel i5 4690k? I read somewhere that warp uses only 1 core, okay, but why only 40-50%?! 

🙂 Memory usage is about 50%-60%, SSD - 1%, GPU - 3-10%, so there is no bottleneck, then, where is the problem? 

Thank y.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your hard drive setup (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one disk, Samsung EVO 970 - 1TB, have about 70%free. I think there is no problem. 

But where? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding a second SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you don't need a 2nd drive. That 970 is quite out of place in your mid-level system from 2014. I think the answer is 'that's the way it is'. I wouldn't recommend you spend much more on the hardware for that machine. That's how long it takes. 

With warp it's intended to help fix short clips so if you are using it on minutes long clips, you might want to consider a stabilizer for your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make real estate videos, with a stabilizer I do a lot of work, but, the whole clip I need to have an extra smooth run. That's why I'm using in final the warp stabilizer. So, the answer is that there's no chance Premiere will use all the processor power to analyze?a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just uses as much as it does. I don't think there's anything you can do to significantly boost it to make is quicker. In Windows power settings you can have your CPU run full time @max, using a bunch of power and likely getting really hot, same with a dedicated GPU, you can turn them all up to 100%, even when nothings happening. I tried that when I was in the eval/benchmark mode checking my new build, but there was no significant performance improvements, just made the machine loud due to the fans all running at top speed, and using a bunch of power for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm late to the discussion but what you're experiencing is normal behavior for Premiere Pro. I've got a 10-Core overclocked CPU with a 2080 Ti, and 1080p exports generally only cause about 25-60% CPU usage for me. However, when I export a 4K timeline to a 4K h.264 file, my CPU gets pinned at 99-100% nearly the entire time.

Try getting some 4K footage and exporting that to h.264 and see if you get higher CPU usage. If your CPU usage goes way up then you're likely not experiencing a bottleneck and it's just Premiere not being able to use all of your CPU when it comes to what you're working on.

As far as GPU usage goes, mine is all over the place and goes anywhere from 10-40% usually. I didn't notice much, if any, decrease in render times when upgrading from 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti. Premire doesn't do the best job of harnessing GPU power the way Resolve does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info Tony.

Yes, that's pretty much the way it is. If you want to see your GPU being used, do some scaling, like creating proxies. When making 720p proxies from my 4k footage, I can peg both my CPU and GPU. Here's a screenshot of Task Manager while doing such:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/pp-2019-making-proxies-runs-well-wtask-manager/td-p/1041...

PP does use the GPU when scaling footage. See this adobe page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-encoding.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IM gonna Hijack this old thread aswell. 🙂

I have an overclocked 9900k 5 ghz on all cores running stable on stresstests with max 80 degree temps on full load. And just before I moved to a new apartment, premiere pro always used 100% cpu. It even made my cpu crash sometimes before I got the voltage stable for OC and exporting went fine. But now when i moved to a new place and I updated premiere pro, CPU load is about 40-50%. Its a 34 min long video 1080p with 2 frames side by side (reaction video format) with lumetri on an adjustment layer on 1 of the frames. 20-25 min export time.

Now, is this normal? Shouldnt CPU load go to 100% and export faster? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brother used to complain loudly that the pinball machine we were using always knew when it was he that was playing and he had all the bad luck! 🙂 Perhaps your computer doesn't like the new place and is trying to express that? 🙂

The CPU/GPU use what they need. If you are going to try and fry the internals with 80c temps, turn your cpu up to 100% and give it a try. You can do that in "Power Options", set the Minimum processor state to 100. I don't recommend this though cause it sounds like your machine is working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do admit that this was a fun post. 😄

But I do not really think you know exactly what you are talking about since power state has nothing to do with CPU load. 

I just dont understand why the cpu all of a sudden would sit on 50% load. Feels like something with premiere pro update but if no one else has experienced this, I guess I have to keep on doing research. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fire hose can carry a lot water thru it, it can also just contain a trickle. PP is using what it wants.

I do know what I'm talking about above. I'll just assume you've never used the power options to control your CPU, most people haven't.  It has nothing to do with CPU load, that's what PP is putting on it. But you can turn your processor up to 100, and it will process stuff at that speed. Do it at your own risk though. I did do that on my latest build testing the GPU. It was slightly faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ill just wrap this thread up since I found the solution.

And not to be salty, but please do not answer with funny (or atleast trying to be) anekdotes when clearly you do not have the knowledge to solve the problem. The answer "premiere pro takes what it needs" is just a real basic, non-helping and plain bad answer. Its better to not answer since the power consumtion suggestion you opted for is not even remotely relatable to my problem. And it is not at all dangerous to turn it up to a 100% which it btw what most people have since they often times use the "performance" power plan.

However, I did manage to figure out why premiere pro didnt use 100% CPU. Its because of my adjustment layer that had heavy lumetri color effects on a 30 min log series of clips. WHen I disabled the adjustment layer and exported, CPU usage went up and it cut my export time down to 9 min. So I will just not shoot LOG when I do these videos and I recommend if other ppl have the same problem (and I know people have because I've done my research) to do the same.

So hope this helps someone that asks the same question. Bye! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't include information about your GPU ... which would have been useful. Or the bit about an AL with extensive Lumetri across the whole project of log media, which also would have been helpful.

So taking those into account ... Meyerpj's answer was actually correct even without all the proper data to work from. Under the circumstances, that CPU was only doing what it could as it could.

And it's best to give a very detailed explanation of what is involved in the project for performance and stability queries. Many things can matter that don't "seem" to be important.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well we just disagree then. I did not find it helpful at all, while you maybe did. Glad we sorted that out.

Btw I did mention the all the information. I have no idea how you can miss that.

However, I will not discuss this further since it has 0 value. Feel free to keep on trying to be useful! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines