• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Developing for OpenCL on an Nvidia Machine possible?

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am developing a Premiere/AE Plugin which is completely based on GPU support (unusable on CPU speed). As I also want to support OpenCL, I need a way to debug the OpenCL code, but I can't get Premiere to run OpenCL instead of CUDA. Is there ANY way to force this? In Resolve/OpenFX for example you can just disable Cuda support which makes it automatically fall back to OpenCL. Or do I have to get another machine just to be able to develop for OpenCL?

Thx

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Hi Stefan,

For a laptop without built-in OpenCL support, have you seen these devices?:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-puck.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Are you on a Windows desktop?  Or a laptop?

If a desktop, you could add an inexpensive AMD card to enable OpenCL support on the same system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zac,

thx for your reply, unfortunately the notification was delivered to my spam folder so I just saw it now, sorry for that.

I am on a Laptop, so a non-hardware solution would be very helpful. Is this possible in any previous SDK maybe?

Cheers, Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible with the current SDK, if you avoid the GPU-specific examples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by avoiding GPU-specific examples? Under Project Settings -> General I can choose between "Mercury Playback Engine - GPU accelerated (CUDA)" and "Mercury Playback Engine - software only". Nothing about OpenCL. Or do you mean I should rely on the Adobe Macros to write hybrid Kernels? As I mentioned I am also developing for Resolve where I can't use the Macros, so I want to keep a separate .cu and .cl file. And on my brothers Mac I can test it on OpenCL, but it would be useful to test it on my Windows machine as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to suggest that, so long as you work with the example plug-ins which don't rely on a specific GPU architecture, you should be able to develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the examples that don't rely on a specific GPU Architecture either don't use GPGPU functionality at all (which I need) or they use the Adobe SDK Macros to make the Kernels compatible with both CUDA and OpenCL, but still using specific functions for Parameter setup. My Plugin started off the SDK_CrossDissolve Project compatible with all CUDA/OpenCL/Metal, so I am not sure what you mean by the examples that don't rely on a specific GPU architecture. As I said, my plugin has already been tested on a Mac using OpenCL (and it works), it just would be nice to be able to test all GPU architectures on one development machine. But I guess I'll just ask a friend with an AMD GPU to test it on his machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Plugin started off the SDK_CrossDissolve Project compatible with all CUDA/OpenCL/Metal, so I am not sure what you mean by the examples that don't rely on a specific GPU architecture.

I meant to suggest exactly what you already did.

...it just would be nice to be able to test all GPU architectures on one development machine.

Agreed; I've never heard of that being possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

For a laptop without built-in OpenCL support, have you seen these devices?:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-puck.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx Zac, maybe this will have to be the ultimate solution once this gets more serious for me, but first I‘ll see if I make any money at all with the plugin 😉

@Bruce, you mean it has never been possible for Adobe Plugins? Because it definitely works with DaVinci Resolve, I have tested it there with both APIs. (Cuda and OpenCL, not Metal of course)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure how BMD would enable development which utilizes hardware you don’t have...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CUDA on AMD is not possible, the other way around has always been possible. OpenCL even works on Intels Integrated GPUs...

OpenCL | NVIDIA Developer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines