Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Playhead following playback In Timeline - Like in FL Studio

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

How do I disable the playhead from following playback in the timeline?

On playback, the playhead follows the current frame. This will shift the view in my timeline. If I am trying to look at something the playhead will shift the view over along with the playback thus losing my place on the playlist. In FL Studio, this is feature is disabled by default in but may be enabled for its purpose. Is there a way to disable playhead from following playback in timeline?

Since I began using Premiere a few months ago I have never had an easy time locating helpful information. It's horrible but it's not only Adobe. Most software systems nowadays have minimal support systems in place. I tried searching for something in Adobe's User Guide but found nothing. I had to watch a few videos by non-partisan third-party sources to find the information I needed - an unnecessary workaround.

My question here is simple and should have an obvious answer - How do I disable that the playhead from following playback in the timeline?

Thanks to KS for answering my question. I think the reason I couldn't find it in the User Guide is because I was using terminology from a different program.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

I produce in FL studio an also wanted to find a way to get the play head to return to its original position.

this fixed it for me: https://youtu.be/_TSZdjOwKws

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cursor is the icon that shows where your mouse pointer is located. Not sure what you mean by "playlist", are you talking about the edited clips on the timeline? The thin blue bar that shows the player position on the timeline is called the Playhead.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 5.01.43 PM.png

Is your problem that the timeline steps forward when the Playhead gets to the end of the visible portion during playback?

Try zooming out on the timeline.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.

The timeline steps forward when the Playhead gets to the end of the visible portion during playback.

Zooming out is not a solution - I'm trying to either zoom in to a specific section or simply keep the timeline still.

How do I disable the playhead from following playback in the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences > Timeline > change Timeline Playback Auto-Scrolling to 'No Scroll'.

-KS

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only prevents scrolling during playback. When playback stops, the timeline jumps to the stopped location, which is equally as disruptive.

Is there a "playhead behavior on stop" setting?
E.g. 

"Remain at current playback time"

"Revert to beginning playback time"

Also, is there a way to completely detach the playhead from the scroll position?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im looking for the same answer, I think all FL studio users are looking for this fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man you couldn't have said this better. Premiere is so frustrating after the beauty of using an FL playlist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I produce in FL studio an also wanted to find a way to get the play head to return to its original position.

this fixed it for me: https://youtu.be/_TSZdjOwKws

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Focal,

Although achievable by altering the Play Around function and then setting the Preferences for Pre-Roll and Post-Roll to zero, I think this qualifies as a feature request so I'll move it there. Some people like to use the Play Around function as designed - with Pre-Roll and Post-Roll. Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks a lot, was bugging me enormously!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate