• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need to Enable Color Display Management, if I have a calibrated monitor?

Advocate ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I calibrated my monitors (Spyder5) and installed the custom ICC profiles into my O/S.

So logically, what I'm seeing on the screen now are the correct colors.

In PPro Preferences, I'm assuming that I should leave the "Enable Display Color Management"  Un-Checked, because I don't need PPro adjusting the colors because the calibration has already done that....  (?)

Does that all sound about right?

Thanks for your advice.

Letty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

According to Francis, it should be fine to have EDCM checked even with a full and complete monitor calibration/profile in operation in Windows. As long as the ICC Profile set by your calibration system is accurate.

I have run without enabling EDCM, I guess one could say in "Classic Mode" (everything needs a fancy designation right?). And it works well.

I don't know about the Spyder software options. I do know with i1 Display you really need the i1 Display Pro version to get the full options for v

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't need it if you're calibrated to rec. 709 2.4 D65. but you may run into small problems with apple's colorsync and the fact that quicktime and chrome run at 1.96 gamma(Adobe has a burn in lut for that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrisw44157881  wrote

you don't need it if you're calibrated to rec. 709 2.4 D65

Is that a calibration in Spyder 5 I can set it to?  rec. 709?  and if so, I calibrate it to 709 and then UN check the "enable color management" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try them both, and using small sample file ( project) as a test....so it is fast... do something simple like shoot a color chart from KODAK for film .. is for sale online... and is almost identical to what you get when you generate COLOR BARS .

So.. take you source stuff , put into timeline, adjust balance and color so white looks white black is black and that weird area ( think it's called luge) where it is barely 'open' black ( some detail but not much)… and EXPORT to an intermediary ( pro res or dnx or cineform I guess ) and then play back to see the differences.. Use VLC maybe.

Then, upload that little sample to vimeo or you tube , and compare how THAT looks to your original timeline.

It really takes a lot of trial and error to get the best you can get... even with calibration on a computer monitor.

I have a video monitor connected and it shows me the real rec 709 signal and I use THAT as a guide ( along with scopes... cause the video monitor can generate color bars, etc. on it's own … independently of computer )…

: )

hehe, don't worry cause since you're interested in this it means you'll get as close as you can ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more details of my own experience.

I have 2 computer monitors. primary is an eizo color calibrated monitor to rec 709. 2nd monitor is junk and I just use it to see scopes, etc.

Then the video monitor as a 3rd ( basically on a table in front of me ).

The eizo has a usb cable direct from monitor to computer, in order to load that LUT ( rec 709 ) when I boot up the computer.

I calibrated a couple times... and was still having trouble matching stuff.

I found that turning off EVERYTHING that has to do with adjusting my monitors ( from O.S. to Video Card (NVidia)) works best.

Plus I had to jump between the eizo option of being "FULL" or "LIMITED" … during correction and after .. it's an adjustment on the monitor itself...

Good luck !   hehe.... if you can get close, call it a day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Francis, it should be fine to have EDCM checked even with a full and complete monitor calibration/profile in operation in Windows. As long as the ICC Profile set by your calibration system is accurate.

I have run without enabling EDCM, I guess one could say in "Classic Mode" (everything needs a fancy designation right?). And it works well.

I don't know about the Spyder software options. I do know with i1 Display you really need the i1 Display Pro version to get the full options for video sRGB, Rec.709, gamma stting separate from that, and a nits setting.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank goodness this question has been answered … as people have had this question of color calibration on their minds for years.

Whatever you do, don't buy a color chart and shoot it in the right color balance, and put that into editor and then generate color bars, and compare what you see between the two..and the color bar you shot 'in your hand' as you look at monitor.

gawd help us if anyone actually does any work to figure things out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines