• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downmix from 5.1 to stereo?

New Here ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported video containing sound recorded in 5.1 audio in a project that also contains stereo. I want to downmix the 5.1 to stereo. I have set the edit/preferences/audio/5.1 Mixdown type to Front Only. However, nothing has changed. (There are actually 6 chanels including the LFE.) What do I have to do to reduce those 6 channels to 2?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

it sorta depends on the audio... some 5.1 mixes just repeat the front L/R into the rear L/R, so dropping those channels in those situations are fine. also you may or may not want to add LFE to the mix, again depending on whats in the original 5.1 mix. you may still have to adjust the audio track levels in the timeline or audio mixer if any channels/tracks seem to loud or quiet.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could split out the 5.1 track into 6 mono or 3 stereo using 'modify clip-audio channels'

5-1 modify clip.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I found Modify Clip, unlinked it and selected it, but the preset fields, along with the Number of Audio Fields, Channel Format, Active Channels Per Track, and the other settings (in the box) are grayed out, so it won't let me change anything.

Incidentally, what happened to Premiere Pro's built-in help and/or manual?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have access to an audio program such as adobe audition you can use that to convert/downmix the 5.1 to stereo and then bring that into premiere ready to go. audition has a few ways to downmix, there is an effect called channel mixer under the amplitude and compression effects category, and it has some downmix presets built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. Doesn't Premiere have a way to do this using the "modify clip" routine? It appears that it should (see Richard above), but I must not be accessing it correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to do modify clip before you add it to a timeline. If you have done this, if you want to dropbox a sample of the file I will take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, I haven't done that because the audio was linked to the video when I imported it. How can I modify a clip before I import it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Clip/Motify/Audio Channels (Modify Clip), if I set the channels I don't want to "None" the 4 additional channels actually don't go away but they appear to go silent, even though they still take up space on the display. Is there a way to remove the extra channels so they don't take up space in the display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here are some examples to get the center channel panned, if using mono would have to use the audio mixer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoninEdits, your last example is simple and seems to work. Is there any reason that would not the best/easiest way to do this? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it sorta depends on the audio... some 5.1 mixes just repeat the front L/R into the rear L/R, so dropping those channels in those situations are fine. also you may or may not want to add LFE to the mix, again depending on whats in the original 5.1 mix. you may still have to adjust the audio track levels in the timeline or audio mixer if any channels/tracks seem to loud or quiet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have to access it from the bin, if you access audio channels function from the timeline it will grey out the options as you describe. then you have to replace the audio or entire clip on the timeline for the new audio channels to take effect. you can use the 6 mono option vs 3 stereo Richard mentioned, so you can have center channel go to both speakers and not just the left or right. then use the audio track mixer to pan the left front/rear to the left and pan the right front/rear to the right.  the benefit of using an audio program to convert it to stereo is that it will do this panning and some volume adjustments to channels for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines