• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EDITING SUBTITLES

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While in the Captions & Graphics, or in my case the custom Subtitles workspace, while editing the subtitles it would be so much better and simpler to just be able to double click on the caption box on the subtitle track you want to modify instead of navigating away from the caption track, then double clicking the text box. Why is it that it can only be usedto open the Essential Graphics panel? I can have the Essential Graphics panel already in placed or maybe I don't want to ever use it while editing my captions.

Why cant we just hit Enter and start typing in the subtitle while in the selected caption track?

It would also make sense if the "Change the font size" slider would just stay the way you set it, and not reset everytime you open the project you've been working on.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Mr. Critic! Love that screenname.

I agree with your suggestion. They're moving the Feature requests from UserVoice to this forum, and someone may move your post. Instead of just "liking" it, other users can Upvote it.

But even if they implement the idea, it will take a while, and you got me digging around in my old notes. What do you think of this workflow?

See this post for a method that uses keyboard shortcuts to add new captions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/subtitles-quot-quot-button-is-grayed-ou...

There are MANY keyboard shortcuts that are not assigned to keystrokes. The method in that post uses Ctrl+Alt+C (assigned in the Adobe Default layout; creates new caption segment) and Ctrl+Alt+X (requires you to assign it in a custom layout - you can assign it any combination that is available; puts you in edit mode with the focus in Program Monitor).

But I discovered in looking at your idea, that Editing captions can not work the same way.

Using the Up/Down arrows (with the Caption Track targeted), works fine for adding captions. They move the CTI, but don't select anything. When we're editing captions, to use the Ctrl+Alt+X, we need a navigation method that SELECTS the caption segment. Shortcuts for this purpose (with default assignments) are Ctrl+Alt+Up and Ctrl+Alt+Down. They operate with the Caption Track NOT targeted. They are also Timeline-specific shortcuts, which means they don't operate when the focus is on the Program Monitor. So when we use Escape to exit edit mode, they don't work and we're once again stuck having to click to get anywhere. The regular Up/Down keys, with the caption track targeted, worked just fine for adding captions, because they are Application level shortcuts and got us back to the Timeline and the caption track. To get back to the timeline in this edit process, we can use Shft+3 (change focus to Timelines).

So an editing method is:

Ctrl+Alt+Down (moves the CTI to the next caption and selects it)

Ctrl+Alt+X (puts you in edit mode)

The entire caption is selected. To replace, just type a new caption or paste a caption from outside PR. To edit, arrow right or left to deselect, then use regular commands to edit (e.g. Ctrl+Right etc).

Esc to exit edit mode

Shift+3 to return to the Timeline.

Repeat as needed.

If I were going to use this, I think I'd reassign Timelines to Ctrl+Alt+ something.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines