• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Fixing stuttering, stuttery, choppy and overall slow playback in Adobe Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the common issues is slow and stuttering playback. Here is a video by the inimitable Colin Smith about how to combat this issue:

• Addresses:
    • Premiere Pro Issues:
    • Issues with certain formats:
    • Issues with your system:
TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that has worked for me is by turning visibility off all of the layers where I have multiple clips, other than the one I'm working on.

Ie, if I'm wanting to playback a clip on track 2, and it overlaps a clip on track 1, by turning off visibility of track 1 it seems to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do you think that should be a way the program works? It seems like you and others are having to make comprimises that shouldn't be part of the normal expected functionality of the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe not, but who cares if it fixes the problem. I'm just grateful to have finally found a work around, this issue was driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fairly old post and video ... much has changed in 3 years. 

Methods to improved performance:

1.  Use Proxies (at medium or low resolution option) ... this is really easy to do now but not ideal especially for color grading and/or HDR.

2.  Convert to Apple ProRes before working with any files in a sequence.

3.  Never link in Ae projects directly, render them out first and use rendered output in sequence.

4.  If possible (the FX/features your using support it) set project to GPU hardware acceleration.

5.  If software rendering (as many CPU cores as you can and as fast as you can, AMD seems to shine here)

Methods that made little or no difference to performance:

1.  Memory settings (Performance or Memory) neither makes any difference

2.  Adding more than 64GB RAM makes no difference regardless of file or image sizes

3.  Very expensive GPUs makes little or no difference.  My nVidia 1060 vs. 3090Ti perform the same when GPU acceleration is enabled.

4.  Expensive and very fast M.2 drives with 7GB/sec xfer speeds doesn't seem help at all, about 200-300MB/sec is the cut off, anything above that isn't realized in terms of performance.

5.  Using a RAM drive, actually slowed performance down just a little ... I had a system with 256GB RAM and tried out a 64GB RAM drive and put my footage on that RAM drive and it made absolutely no difference to workflow performance nor exports.

Obviously Adobe forces compromises in order to get better performance:

1.  Apple ProRes convesion is a long extra step and produces large files sizes taking up disk space.

2.  Proxies just aren't good enough do any HDR and/or color grading work ... use proxies for rapid editing (cuts/delete/inserts etc.) only.

3.  Not being able to directly link in Ae projects without a major performance hit means extra steps to render out and round trips between the two apps Pr and Ae.

Pr 2022 is full of bugs (more so than any version I've used in the past), especially around HDR and Exports.

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Mercury Playback Engine used to work great. As of 2022 not so much as seen in the video link below. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OOBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO  OBRIGADO BRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO OBRIGADO VOCÊ ME SALVOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you are looking for blog posting website, which allow guest posting for free, BlogsNark is the best choice for you. BlogsNark Blogs Provide best guest posting opportunity for new websites, also for old one.

Its U.S based website. BlogsNark is the best and outmost choice for everyone. It will help you to do SEO of you website and help you to rank higher on google search results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through all of your steps and didn't have any luck. I have 128 GB of RAM, a Ryzen Threadripper 32 core CPU, an NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3090 graphics card and all the footage is on an SSD drive. But this 1440 x 1440 clip is unplayable.

By the way I'm new to editing on a PC. I've always used Final Cut Pro on a Mac (for the last 20 years) and when a clip can't be played in that software, you can create much lower resolution proxy footage and that plays as smooth as butter. Does Premiere have something like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@EnjaySea777 

1440-by-1440 is out of spec for video frame sizes, but it should play fine if it uses a mezzanine CODEC.  In the same way that ProRes provides great playback in Final Cut Pro classic and Final Cut Pro X, it does so in Premiere Pro as well.  If used for source footage, Sequence Video Previews, and exports, it also takes advantage of Smart Rendering.

Working with native formats is covered in this best practices guide: Best Practices: Working with Native Formats.  There are other best practice guides at the bottom of that page worth reading now and referencing again later.

While proxies should not be necessary for the system that you've described, they're easy to create and use in a proxy workflow; however, unexpected issues can happen if making proxies from a non-mezzanine format.  The proxy presets are meant for horizontal video, not square or vertical.  While this link was created for how to create a custom proxy preset for vertical video in Premiere Pro, it's likely to be helpful with making proxies for square video as well.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines