Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Premiere Pro Lumetri Color Custom LUT directory and location

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumetri Color Custom LUT directory

Common question: Where do I place custom and third party LUTs?
You may have read on the internet that you can add LUTs to the Premiere Pro application folder. DO NOT DO THIS!

Though placing LUTs in folders in the app package can work for a single user within Premiere Pro, the workflow falls apart once you update Premiere Pro to a new version, share a project, or even send a sequence to Adobe Media Encoder.

Beginning in version 12.1.2, follow these instructions for installing custom LUT files and to have them appear in the Lumetri Color panel. You can also share the project and export in AME with this technique.

You can install custom LUT files and have them appear in the Lumetri Color panel. To install custom LUT files, create one or more of the directories listed below and then copy your custom LUT files to that folder.

Adobe Documentation: Install Custom LUT files

Custom LUT directories macOS Windows
Available only to the local user /Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Available to all users /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Premiere Pro scans the folders at launch and loads LUT files from these directories. LUTs in the Creative directories appear in the Creative Looks dropdown, and LUTs in the Technical directories appear in the Input LUT menu.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created the folder as suggested here, but ... one big question remains... where do I get my LUTs files from? I have them running on Premiere Pro 2019 but I lost them when I open Premiere Pro 2021...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'd created the folder setup while running in 2019, it would be the same folder. So ... where did you put them while using 2019?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you share a screenshot of what you see?

Regards,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We created the following path:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

The result is that the creative LUT that we input in this folder is OK when the ''color'' window (TIMELINE) but when we are going to export we could not find the LUt.

For apply the LUT when we are exporting the time line? which is the path?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've applied the LUT on the sequence, you should not need to apply that to the export. It should be applied automatically if in the spot you listed, and used in the Creative tab's dropdown slot in Lumetri.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil

I agree with you but we need apply the final LUT in exportiom step. Is any problem for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to apply a LUT on export. Out of curiosity, what are you doing in that LUT?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a LUT folder in the Common folder: 

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 7.09.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked within that 7.0 subfolder? And if you don't have the folders, you need to create them.

Although rather than using the Library location, I recommend using the Package files (Program files on PC)/Adobe/Common/LUTs and making sure within that LUTs folder are Technical (Basic tab of Lumetri), Creative (Creative tab of Lumetri), and Input (Input LUTs for the new color management option in Modify/Interpret Footage) folders.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, is it necessary to create a third Input folder for interpreting the material? What will be the difference if we develop the material using the LUT installed in the Technical folder? Will parts of the color image be cropped if using a LUT from the Technical folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Project panel Input LUT slot auto-looks in the Input folder. So there's less work in navigating to and selecting a LUT if they are in that folder. You can use the Technical folder, but then ... you would have to navigate to get to another one there or even the same one on a different clip.

The LUTs are applied the same no matter where they are stored, so your second question answer is no.

Understand, colorists call LUTs "the dumbest math out there" ... a LUT is a mathematical look-up table. X value becomes Y. That's it. And all LUTs are designed for a specific use. With media with an exact exposure and contrast level.

So if you have media that isn't exactly what that LUT was built for, then you will get the possibility of anything from too little contrast to clipped whites, crushed blacks, whatever.

That's why I never use the Technical folder for applying LUTs. You can't control what happens.

I always apply tech LUTs in the Creative tab slot, so I can use the Basic tab to 'trim' the clip's exposure, black/white points, contrast and sat into the LUT for best use of that LUT. Which is the proper process for working with LUTs taught to and by colorists.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I am familiar with the color correction process, in which cases we use LUT from the Technical and Creative folders. I wanted to find out about what is the correctness of using developing LUT's if we apply them through interpretation or through a folder from Technical? How would it be more correct to show the material in the right color space (not creative LUT's)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way their system is currently  set up color space transforms MUST be applied via the Input option in the  Modify/Intepret Footage dialog context menu from the Project panel.

Even a lot of log media can now be transformed or normalized via their options in that dialog. They have a lot of Canon, Sony, and even a Panny transform from log to the working space options.

It's usable sorta like some of the options in Resolve for input and working space. For some media, you would set one of the top two options, the Input LUT slot of the "Use color space from ... " options to set the "input" recognition for the media.

Then use the Override-to option to set it to the chosen working space.

For a lot of log encoded media, you just go to the bottom Override-to option, and select the type of log it is from the list.

Then it supposedly works fine on any color space setting you have for a sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I moved ALL LUTs into recomended folder to all users, and I got them doubled. I have checked other folders, and thet are empty? What to do? Please see a photo enclosed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have those LUTs in only one folder?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I realized I got two: Adobe Premiere Pro 2022 and Adobe Premiere Pro 2023.

Sorted now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT use the Premiere Pro folders! Just ... DON'T! Ever ...

That messes up the system and will cause you headaches. You cannot use MediaEncoder for exports and get what you expect ... all sorts of issues.

User LUTs should go in the following location!

Program Files (or Package Files on Mac)/Adobe/Common/LUTs

And if there aren't folders at that location, create Input, Technical, and Creative folders.

Then use the Input folder for color management Input LUTs, the Technical folder for Lumetri Basic tab LUTs, and the Creative folder for Lumetri Creative tab LUTs.

From this location, the LUTs will appear in the appropriate drop-down lists, and will work across Premiere, AfterEffects, and MediaEncoder.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These LUTs are the ones that you put in the created Creative folder. There are definitely no such LUTs in the standard configuration. If you need developing LUTs (SLOG, VLOG, FLOG, etc.), then put the corresponding LUTs in the Technical folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have custom LUTs for the Sony F55 I'd like to add into Premiere. The files are all .cube. When I try to import presets the .cube files are greyed out. Any hints as to how I get these LUTs into Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switch to the Color workspace.  Under the Basic tab, apply an Input LUT using your .cube file.

On the Effect Controls panel, right click on the Lumetri effect and save a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dot-cube's & ITX LUT's can be added to the built-in ones that drop-down in the Basic tabs Input LUT's box ... in the Program files folder for Adobe Premiere Pro, they're in Lumetri/LUTs/Technical. You can add LUT's to that Technical folder and they should appear in the drop-down box so you don't need to navigate to them. You probably will need to re-start PrPro after dropping them in there before it will "see" them.

If the LUT's you've got don't appear in that dropdown list even though they're in the folder with all the other LUT's from that list ... you can apply the LUT to a "clean" (otherwise untouched clip), use the Direct to SpeedGrade command to bring that up in Sg ... then click the "Save as LUT/Look" icon ... then go to that in your Looks management browser there at the bottom, right-click on it and select 'Export as LUT", then set the parameters as to what forms of LUT you want, and if at 16, 32, or 64 size samples, and where you want that zip file put. Unzip that file, move your cube to the right folder, and it will show.

As to the LUT's option on the Creative tab ... you really do have to navigate to your LUT from there. Haven't yet managed to get something I've added to show up there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So , I followed all the steps, created a new LUT's folder in Common, created a new Creative folder and added the Canon luts in there. Restarted Prmiere Pro, but they are not there ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screen-grab of your folder tree in the top of the finder/explorer window, showing your LUTs folder with the LUTs in it would help us check things.

And a screen-grab of the Creative tab's drop-down slot, showing what's there of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We have all LUTs in the follow path: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

Then we open the Creative Looks dropdown, we could not see all of LUTs. 

We only see in alphabetical order but in the letter K it stops and it does not show more Luts. Could it be that the dropdown window has a maximum to display? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines