Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get info for clip loaded in source monitor using ExtendScript

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So, the short version: I was wondering if there's a way to get information about the clip currently loaded in the source monitor using ExtendScript. Specifically, I'd be interested in the name, starting timecode, and in/out points. I don't see anything obvious in the Data Browser in ExtendScript Toolkit, but I thought I would ask.

The long version of what I'm trying to do: I have a clip in the source monitor that I know is in the active sequence. I'd like to take the in/out points of the source clip and set those as in/out points in the sequence. This is sort of a hack to get around the fact that you can't associate speech analysis with a multicam clip so I'm cutting with one of the audio clips in the multicam clip and then I'm trying to translate those edit points to the multicam sequence. I have a way to do it with an AppleScript macro, but I'd like to find a more robust (and cross-platform) solution.

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

There's no capability to get back from a Source monitor item to the actual projectItem, in PPro CC 2015.

However, you wouldn't be the first to request such functionality, and (ahem) I can neither confirm nor deny that it may be added in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no capability to get back from a Source monitor item to the actual projectItem, in PPro CC 2015.

However, you wouldn't be the first to request such functionality, and (ahem) I can neither confirm nor deny that it may be added in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, bbb. I can (ahem) confirm that that would be amazing. The scripting ecosystem that's built up around After Effects over the last few years is incredible. If Premiere got to that same level of scriptability, it would be a killer, and, as far as I know, unique, feature among mainstream NLEs. (And yes, I've filed a feature request).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bruce,

I need also to get IN and OUT points from source monitor...

The idea is to send footage to fter Effects and replace them in a comp...

You can add my vote to this feature request.

Thanks

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any progress on this request?  Would love to be able to the project item based on what's loaded in the Source or Program Panel.  Anything under the hood of app.enableQE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no publicly available news on that front.

Partial workaround = get the path from the Source monitor, then use app.project.findItemsMatchingMediaPath() to find related projectItems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that might very well work.

While we're at it, any way to load an item into the source monitor by bin items (as opposed to via media path) -- Actually I'll post as a separate question...  Is it possible to load a bin item in the Source or Program Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce Bullis

How's getting the projectItems help with getting clip's mark in (from source monitor)? 

Is this even possible? Or should it only retrieved from sequence?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have the projectItem, you can get/create associated markers (see PProPanel's clip marker handling).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bruce Bullis​.

If you don't mind, I still have some questions: 

1. And if I would like to get the Mark In/Mark Out (the I and O keyboard shortcuts, or the { } icons in the action row) from a *Source monitor*? 

2. Is There a way to associate a projectItem to a source playing it? 

3. Is there a way to open a bin item (or projItem) in the source monitor with API?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. There's no way to intercept the handling, of those functions.
2. No.
3. Not directly, though you can get the path from the projectItem, and open that. Feature requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to retrieve the File Path of the app.sourceMonitor object or via any other means?

While we're at it, is there list of properties, methods and events available to app.sourceMonitor?

I'm aware of the following, to date:

app.sourceMonitor.openFilePath(FilePathAsString);

app.sourceMonitor.indexOf(searchElement, fromIndex);

app.sourceMonitor.filter(fun,thisArg);

app.sourceMonitor.map(callback,thisArg);

Not sure what indexOf, filter, and map methods do, if anything.

Are there more options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no further options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what are those functions do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eyali.av  wrote

And what are those functions do?

+1 on eyali.av question.

For instance what are the options for the "thisArg" parameters?

Better still, what's that "fun" parameter?  I could use some of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you seeing those  indexOf / filter / map functions?

Not in ESTK...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 'reflects', for instance...

IterateReflects(app.sourceMonitor);

function IterateReflects(thisObj){

var i,thisReturn;

thisReturn=[];

for(i in thisObj.reflect.properties){

thisReturn.push(i+": "+thisObj.reflect.properties);

}

return thisReturn;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very possibly.  It was the "fun"  parameter -- which didn't look like a JS inheritance -- that gave me hope someone on your team had customized them with some easter eggs a lá...

- LoadProjectItem

- GetPath

...which would be my idea of 'fun'

Hoping against hope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we'd already written those functions, I wouldn't tease you by saying that the feature had been requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bruce+Bullis  wrote

1. There's no way to intercept the handling, of those functions.

I'm not sure you answered my question: I didn't ask about "listening" to an event of Mark-In or Mark-Out actions, I was just wondering if those points in a clip opened in a source monitor can be retrieved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bruce,

> Partial workaround = get the path from the Source monitor, then use app.project.findItemsMatchingMediaPath() to find related projectItems. 

Long shot reviving this old thread here here but from this comment it sounds like it is somehow possible to get the path of the media currently opened in source monitor, and then use that to find the associated project item. But how would you get the path of the media opened in source monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines