Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GH5 4k - 10 bit files not working with Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me on this.

I am the proud new owner of a Panasonic GH5. I shot my first project with the new camera in 24p 4k 10bit 422 colour, however when I try to play these files back / import/ grade them premiere pro crashes and shuts down.

I really need to start editing this project asap, does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps I am doing something silly?

PS My editing system is intel xenon, Nividia GTX960, 32gb Ram, all programmes are run on ssd.

Premiere Pro CC is currently installed on latest update.@

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 114 Replies 114
Participant ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried on my laptop, it' a totally vanilla fresh install of windows 10, only adobe installed, same issue imports audio only in this version so it's not my main system.  raised another bug report for the latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Media Encoder was installed? Would you mind posting the build number from the Help -> About Adobe Media Encoder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Media Encoder 2017.1 now, and I only went back to the previous release of PP to be able to play my 10-bit files, so I feel pretty certain that was the version that was in place when it happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this important post if you haven't seen it.  I lost 500GB of photos on the drive that housed my Media Cache when I upgraded to 2017.1, and didn't know until today what had happened.  System Mechanic had run a defrag on that drive the same day, and I've been blaming them ever since.  Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade   The link to the fix is included in that thread, but here it is Avoid potential deletion of media files in Premiere Pro CC 2017 (11.1)     Be sure to check the drive that you have your Media Cache on to make sure you haven't lost any files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My videos files 4K 10-bits from GH5 it isn't processed too. Today updating Adobe Premiere but changed nothing

After Effects 2017.2 (14.2.0.198)

Premiere 2017.1.1 (v11.1.1 (15) build)

Media Encoder 2017.1 (11.1.0.170)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest trying to re-import some GH5 files into a new project, and see if that's working. In the past when they had a similar issue with a  different camera's media, with the fix one had to re-import and I think in  a new project also. But you could import the old project file to keep the  project going. Again, as memory serves ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil,

For the record my testing this morning was on a fresh project created specifically for testing within 2017.1.1

Thanks!

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then, that answers that definitively!

Thanks for the work & the posting. Apparently it's not as fixed as we users would like to consider "fixed" ... sadly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fresh project..same issue.

Thanks for the Media Encoder build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming same behaviour as before with 10bit full luminance files.

So continue with either shooting reduced luminance or use the rewrapper tool described here: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/24249-adobe-breaks-gh5-10bit-import-for-pc-solution-inside/?do=f... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. It was nice to read through the whole thread ...from the way things sounded in the first few posts on this, coupled with the fact that Vegas and every other NLE was having issues with the 10-bit (especially log) out of the GH5, I made the assumption that Panny had done something different from 'standard' in their implementation of the codec recording in the GH5 ... and clearly, from the EOSHD thread you posted, that's confirmed.

Now if the Adobe PrPro team can get that sorted internally ... soonest, we all hope ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find where to file a bug report on Adobe's site, but I'll check

again!

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM, R Neil Haugen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ClaudiaK,

You can file a bug report here: Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huge thanks to whoever wrote the re-wrap script to MXF used it today on a whole bunch of stuff I shot today full range vlog 10bit and it works a treat, might actually upgrade my main pc and play with the new features at some point now, but not brave enough until I've got the other main project I'm working on out of the door first

thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I haven't been able to keep up with this chain. Is there a fix yet?

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM, R Neil Haugen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my note 5 up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having an issue where all 10bit files are now only being brought in as "audio" without any video. Just shows (black). Funny thing is that last week it was working fine, well I mean I was able to view 10 bit files and scrub and edit; albeit they were laggy but now they are just all coming in as black. Even media-encoder not working now...????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you upgrade last week? That is the issue that happens with 10-bit files with full range luminance  levels set in camera. This has been broken since the last 2 updates of the software. They are working on a fix for hopefully a June release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded today, but funny enough the problem existed before the upgrade. I just tried the FFMPEG fix shown in here and it doesn't seem to do anything. Same issue, or maybe I didn't set it up correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See comment 83.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I read this :

Today we’re releasing an update for Premiere Pro CC 2017. The 11.1.2 update contains important bug fixes as well as performance improvements. It also adds support for the 10 bit formats of the Panasonic GH-5.

and wonder if that works for all of you, cause I wanted to advise someone with the same question.

Premiere Pro 11.1.2 available today – critical update, highly recommended | Creative Cloud blog by A...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 11.1.2 is working for me with the 10-bit footage I already have with luminance levels set at 64-1023. I have not had an opportunity to test VLOG footage yet in the full luminance gamut.

Anyone else care to report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used V-Log 10 bit footage and it works fine. However, when using anything less than FULL resolution in the source window, the video shows only the upper corner of the video.

I also had transcoded video with Media Encoder ver. 11, and the luminance levels got all whacked out in that conversion. Luminance is now as originally recorded in the GH5's MOV files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue that estarkey is mentioning. If I drop a C4K file into a 1080p timeline, and then set/scale to frame size, it will punch in to the upper corner of the video during playback of the timeline. If I render it out, it displays fine - so it's only happening during timeline playback. It turns out this is because a C4K file set to frame size in a 1080p timeline will have slight black bars on the top and bottom due to the aspect ratio mismatch. If I let the footage's scale go to 50%, it will bug out during playback. But if I keep the scale at 51% or higher, it plays fine.

Adobe, can you fix this ASAP? Talk about one step forward, two steps back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Program monitor's options set to 'High Quality' for playback?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines