Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GH5 4k - 10 bit files not working with Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me on this.

I am the proud new owner of a Panasonic GH5. I shot my first project with the new camera in 24p 4k 10bit 422 colour, however when I try to play these files back / import/ grade them premiere pro crashes and shuts down.

I really need to start editing this project asap, does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps I am doing something silly?

PS My editing system is intel xenon, Nividia GTX960, 32gb Ram, all programmes are run on ssd.

Premiere Pro CC is currently installed on latest update.@

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 114 Replies 114
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Program monitor's options set to 'High Quality' for playback?

Neil

THANK YOU!!!!!! It was so frustrating not to be able to use the 4k in a 1080 timeline, since that is 1/2 the reason I got the camera. It is now working perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you're working again!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Program monitor's options set to 'High Quality' for playback?

Neil

This indeed fixes it. Any idea why that might be needed now when it wasn't needed prior? (I don't believe I've ever toggled that on in my 8 years of editing in Adobe).

Should this still be classified as a bug when that is not checked on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the current build, having that checked is needed for the GH5 media, though it probably won't be on the next. Clearly, the team is aware of that as they've been the ones that passed that info to the Product Support staff that help with these forums under Kevin Monhahan.

So, I'm assuming it will probably go away on the next release, whenever that comes ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, mine PP CS6 works surprisingly well with 4K .mov 4:2:2 files (made by GH5), playing it at full speed. AE also have no problems reading it, but play at ~10fps.

The only issue I have is with the Speed Grade, it does not render 4K 10bit and C4K 8/10bit, it only manage to render 4K 8bit. Does not crash though...

I'm working on CS6, win 10.

Maybe it's issue with system codecs?

[UPDATE] I manage to open C4K 10bit movies in both programs (PR & SG).

SpeedGrade is able to handle movies when encoded by Another GUI free software.

I go to ProRes 112Mbps, and although files are approx. 4 times bigger than original, SG is previewing it nicely (and the quality is almost the same).

Hope it helps!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davids,

Did the update solve your issue? If not, let us know what you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I still experience this issue in a very specific use-case. When I have 10 bit 4k30p footage in a 1080p sequence scaled down to 50% I only see the upper corner of the footage when playing back. If I change to "high quality playback" or render the footage it plays back properly. But normal playback is still plagued with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until they release another dot-update, you need to leave the Program monitor setting to 'High Quality Playback' with GH5 4k media. Just "park" it there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to latest Premiere set preview to 1/4 resolution. 10bit is working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017.1.2? That's the version I have which is still have problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have last version of PP 12.1.2, running on MBP 2017, 2,9 Ghz, 16 RAM, card Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB....I can read files mov GH5s mov 4k 10 bit 4.2.2, but the playback is not ok....sometimes is ok, sometimes is not fluid. When I stop a not-fluid part of edited video and after play it, it's ok, but the problem is on another part on timeline.....

I tried to change sequence codecs, formats, position of files (on MBP or on Promise Raid), but nothing is changed.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

Amedeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like the issue you are having is due to the speed of your storage media. I shot a project with my GH5S just recently that was playing choppy off of my mechanical hard drive, but I moved it over to my SSD and it played fine at 100% .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, may be my storage Promise Raid 6TB HDD is not enough powered but the problem there is also with MBP internal SSD (500GB). So I think it's a software problem of PP CC 2018, or a bad running of MBP  graphic card..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is an MBP internal SSD? What brand is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you edit in Premiere? did you optimized settings on Premiere? It resolves my same problems. And is for HDR too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ske72b59U&t=71s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines