• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GoPro 4k/60 footage playback in Premiere extremely choppy

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a brand new iMac and my Premiere is playing back my GoPro 4K/60 FPS footage really poorly. Note that in Quicktime it plays back full resolution flawlessly with no issue whatsoever. I can go super fast, pause, backwards, anything I want, and it is precise and instant. In Premiere, even in 1/8 resolution, it is HORRID. Clearly something is wrong here. Any ideas?

Specifications:

Computer: 2017 iMac 27", 5K display, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, 4.2 GHz core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM, Radeon Pro 575 4 GB Vid card

Premiere: 12.0.0 Premiere Pro CC

Footage: GoPro Hero 6 Black 4K/60 FPS

Note I have no other issues with any other video files in Premiere, and I have edited many different setups on this computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Hi SMwesley,

Though tempting to do so, comparing QuickTime Player's performance should not be compared with performance for the same media in an NLE.

Long GOP 4K at 60fps is no picnic for an NLE. My advice? More a smooth editing experience, spend a little time creating proxies or transcode to ProRes 422 or LT. Let us know how that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SMwesley,

Though tempting to do so, comparing QuickTime Player's performance should not be compared with performance for the same media in an NLE.

Long GOP 4K at 60fps is no picnic for an NLE. My advice? More a smooth editing experience, spend a little time creating proxies or transcode to ProRes 422 or LT. Let us know how that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon my naivety, but if the video files were too cumbersome for smooth performance, then why would it have the exact same behavior being played back at 1/8 resolution as it does in Full resolution? Note I have edited RED footage which is 4K and it has no issue whatsoever. Not even a little bit. I feel it has something to do with the GoPro compression codec maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Red is no Gopro.

Gopro is highly compressed and needs horsepower to decode and play decently on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, I see. And that wouldn't be effected by dropping playback to 1/8 then? I can understand the compression requires a lot of power to decode but I guess my confusion is that playing it in 1/8 doesn't seem to change anything?

Also, if transcoding is the route I need to go, which program would you recommend to do so most effectively?

(Also thanks for the helpful input guys!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AME!

PROXY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to start looking into this tomorrow. Given that my workflow is I am editing one volleyball video per week (roughly 3 hours of footage cut into one 15 minute video), which of the options would you recommend? Should I just straight Transcode them, or do you think doing a Proxy would be the best way? Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would go the transcode route, in something like Prores.

It will be smoother experience. Note that it will require more disk space because the files are going to be larger (and you will need to keep them, unlike proxies that can be deleted afterwards). But long Gop 4k h265 files are really complicated to work with, even with high end video cards.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After much experimenting, setting up Proxies is by far the best way to do this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read all of this and it worked well for my 24 and 60 fps footage, but trying to use the 240fps footage for slow mo doesnt work with Media Encoder. it caps out at 60fps. 

GoPro shut down GoPro studio and the only other thing that works with the hero 8 is GoPro Quik which is useless. is there another encoder setting that would work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMG20240228191315.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines