• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Acceleration is NOT working

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Nvidia RTX 2070. It is the ONLY display adapter listed in the Device Manager. I have cleared the media cache. The Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration option is selected in Project Settings. The software still uses 100% of my CPU (Intel i9-9900k) and only maybe 5% of the GPU when rendering. I have tried everything I see online including updating my bios.

I have no issues with my GPU in any other software or game that I play. ONLY in Premiere Pro.

This needs to be fixed YESTERDAY.... I pay way too much for this software for it not to be working!!!!!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you turn the GPU on in the Preferences for decoding and encoding?

The use of the GPU is also depended on the effects used in the timeline.

Most of the rendering (as in making preview) or do you mean export is done on the CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are "Preferences for decoding and encoding"?

When I go to Edit > Preferences I see no mention of Encoding or decoding. Where IS it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an RTX 2070. The video below might be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should warn you that Premiere Pro has been acting very buggy as seen in the video below. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already had all this in place, but thanks. I don't get it. I just have some footage in the timeline. Only thing I've done is increased the speed/duration and removed the audio because I'm trying to make a timelapse of some artwork. The bar above is yellow, not red... but it won't play back smooth without first going to Sequence and selecting Render In to Out. But it takes FOREVER.... omg, it's going at like 3 frames per second and there are over 26k frames. I open the task manager and my CPU is 100% all the time... my GPU is hovering around 5% with spikes up to 30% very rarely. And, btw it's all in the 3D utilization chart... not the Video Encoding or Decoding, those 0%. My RAM also seems like it could be using more... it's using 11gb out of 64gb.

Thanks for tyring to actually help. The "Professional" on this thread has me fuming with his latest remark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1654697961013.png

Before shouting, fix this: might be a good idea you went through your preferences and see what it all means.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-encoding.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps if the "Professional" would offer instructions for the provided solution rather than just assuming that the user (in need of help, btw) just knows what you're referencing. And perhaps the "Professional" should understand that the user is frustrated because he has been billed $600 annually for software that isn't functioning as inteded.

All that aside, those options have already been turned on.. before contacting you, because as I said I have tried every solution I came across online, including this. They make no change to the problem.

Perhaps communication gaps could be bridged if there was an actual tech suport number I could call, but I'm forced to use this forum.

This is my 2nd response to this snotty remark because the 1st seems to have vanished. I will be reporting you. I pay way too much money to be treated so poorly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are "Preferences for decoding and encoding"?

When I go to Edit > Preferences I see no mention of Encoding or decoding. Where IS it?

All that aside, those options have already been turned on.. before contacting you, because as I said I have tried every solution I came across online, including this.

If you tried everything online mentioned  then you would not had to ask where it was located

But be my guest and report me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Did you turn the GPU on in the Preferences for decoding and encoding?"

Where in that statement did you mention that what you were refering to was under the preferences for Media? Where? You should have said something along the lines of "did you check A or B under the MEDIA Preferences?"

And I already have reported you.

You're very condescing and extremely unprofessionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere doesn't use the GPU as simply an assist to the CPU. It uses the GPU for specific things, as found in the GPU Accelerated Effects List .

Which is mainly for things like color correction or major resizing, so Warp, Lumetri, "zooming" or resizing/rotating a clip, and a number of other things. Where you have those involved on a clip, it will use the GPU as it gets to that. When you don't, it won't so much.

When you see the very confusing phrase in the Export dialogs about 'software only', that is referring to something entirely different ... specifically, and only, whether your rig has the hardware bits in the CPU for H.264/5 encoding via the CPU hardware.

So "software only" means one thing in some places, an entirely different thing in others, and yea, that's totally confusing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey look... a proffessional that offers acual helpful information (confusing as it may be). Thank you so much for that! So should I the GPU to be utilized when I go to Sequence > Render In to Out? That's specifically the issue I'm trying to resolve. I have some footage. The only thing I did was remove all the audio and increase the Speed to like 8000%. I'm trying to make a time lapse of some artwork. But it renders so slow. It's only going like 3 frames per second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The use of the GPU is 'set' in the Project settings dialog for Mercury Acceleration. For Nvidia cards, it's CUDA, for the AMD cards on a Mac, it's Metal.

The hardware acceleration for H.264 is in the Preferences/Media tab.

The GPU will be used for the render when there is GPU accelerated activity to use. Or for some things in H.264 encoding, with some hardware (specific GPU/CPU combinations), the CPU will actually use part of the GPU for basic encoding.

So GPU use during a render of a timeline can be low, then spike, then drop back ... as the effects using it are used or not in the clips.

And btw ... Ann is one of the most amazing brains on so many functions of PrPro available.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She may be, but you were far more helpful. She offered a solution with Zero instruction as to actually implement it. Even gave a misleading reference in my opinion. I spent several minutes staring at the preference menu looking for any title that said Encoding/Decoding and poking through each looking for a subsection with that title. Then she proceeds to tell me that I should have just read all the documentation and fully understood it all before reaching out for help.

And she's a "Professional"? For real? I pay for this software and when I seek help, that's how I'm treated? Maybe for free software, sure. But this ain't free software. I expect better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And let's see ... Ann gets paid exactly what ... oh, right, zippo ... to spend her time trying to help folks here.

You expect better of those volunteering their time to try & help you ... right!   😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I didn't know that she got paid zippo bro. The word "Professional" implies otherwise. Since everytime I search for support on the Adobe site it just points me here rather than a live chat or phone number I broke down and participated. Expecting just some random user to chime in. When I saw the title Adobe Community Professional, I was momentarily pleased to have been contacted by an actual paid employee. If that's not the case then that's on Adobe, again. And now I'm even more displeased as it seems I'm paying a ton of money and can't even get help from an actual tech support person. Great.

Thanks Ann,,,, I guess.... but screw you Adobe... you're gettin' on my nerves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're "community professionals" not Staff.

As to the rest of your comments .... hmm ... the world is a strange and interesting place, shall we say. All sorts of marvelous wonders, and some things that are just ... irritating ...   😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word professional still implies you are being paid. Look up the definition. It's literally in the definition of the word. Adobe is pushing it's tech support off to the community and then giving members the title professional as a means of fooling others in to believing they are recieving paid profiessional help. That's the way I see it. It's extremely deceiving at the very least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are professionals. But at using the stuff, not being a developer. And there are some pretty high skills among the various helpers here. So for actually most problems users have, "we" can oft sort if faster than about any other process. Especially if you search the forum for similar issues.

And they do have both computer text "chat" and live phone support ... but if you use those, always ask for the "video que" as soon as you get a live person. Like many of the companies out there, the first level of 'help' are the generalists working off a cheat-sheet.

So asking for the video que gets you to someone with some level of experience in the video apps.'

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joey,

I don't think Ann did anything wrong. Having said that I do agree with your other comments. I posted them below. 

The word professional still implies you are being paid. Look up the definition. It's literally in the definition of the word. Adobe is pushing it's tech support off to the community and then giving members the title professional as a means of fooling others in to believing they are recieving paid profiessional help. That's the way I see it. It's extremely deceiving at the very least.

If you ask a question in these forums the Adobe Community Professionals might give you five incorrect answers. Why? Because they are not professionals as you stated. Adobe needs to hire two full time techs that can build computer and install audio and video devices. The techs should spend about four hours a week on these forums as should some of the programmers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The weird use of "professional" here apparently means employee ... which doesn't fit any use of the term I've been familiar with over 40 years of being one. In fact, it's nearly the opposite of the normal understanding of professional.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ann,,,, I guess.... but screw you Adobe... you're gettin' on my nerves.

By @Joey5E36

Thread locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joey, 

Nvidia's NVENC and Intel's Quick Sync encode and decode h.264/265. Nvdia's CUDA is for special effects like picture in picture, color correction, motion blur etc. The first video I posted demonstrates all of this. You responded by saying you had all those checked. You later stated Ann did not give you instructions to turn off Nvenc. The two statements contradict each other. Perhaps you did not actually watch the video.  The video I posted not only explains everything Neil has mentioend thus far but it also demonstrates everything Niel has mentioned thus far. I also posted another video because Premeire Pro is acting wierd as far as performance is concerned. 

Having said that if you speed things up to 8000% your hard drive might not have the throughput required. Is your hard drive at 100% useage? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines