• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Green screen key has buzzing noisy edges on thin hair edges

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a number of green screen shoots over the years, and I always try to light the green as evenly as possibly at roughly 20-30IRE and decent talent separation from screen.  Recording at a good bit depth, eg, 10/12 bit 444.  Usually green isn't a big deal.

However, I've got a multicam Tricaster based studio green screen situation now, and while most people key acceptably, wispy hair (especially blond)  is proving to be a problem.  Maybe I've just never encountered wispy hair, but trying to key creates very noisy "buzzing" edges.  My usual trick of shrinking & blurring the matte slightly doesn't help.  The native TC2 keyers give terrible results (see sample "OG lighting TC2 key") with this kind of hair so I'm recording ISOs and keying in post.

Tech: studio is set for 1080 59.94p recorded in a Tricaster TC2 Elite using their SHQ2 codec. Panasonic ak-hc3900 and AW-UE 150 cameras.  Lighting for talent and green are 56K softboxes with 56K PAR backlights with a 1/4 magenta gel to help counter spill.  For comparison I've also recorded directly into a Canon C300 MKii 10bit 444 and a Sony FX3 at it's best color depth (forget params).  Results with those two cameras/recordings are better yet still not perfect.  

I've tried keying with both PPRo Ultra Key and Hawaiki Keyer 5, neither totally solving the problem.  Still end up with a thin edge of buzzing pixels.  In the still samples it looks like blocky pixels but in motion it's a bad buzzing.  Cam3 in sample has an angle that minimizes the wispy hair.  Cam4 shows lots of wild hair and the Ultra key version best shows the blocky pixels which buzz badly when playing.  

Been pulling my hair out (lol) over these keys - suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?  

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to say I've composited these over white as a 'worst case' view. When layered on darker layers the buzzing is less objectionable, but the point is to push for as close to perfect as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's screen recordings of analysis mode in Hawaiki Keyer showing the edge noise problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you keying in premiere pro the footage that is recorded on Tricaster?

did you try to key direct footage from cameras?

Also check color spaces in Tricaster and Premiere Pro, and color management.

@R Neil Haugen  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've recorded both in Tricaster via SDI from cam (see OP for specs) as well as direct into a Canon C300 10bit 444 (see OP).  Then keyed in PPro testing both with Ultra and Hawaiki keyers.   Color space/etc is all 1080p 59.94 422 in Tricaster chain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines