Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the 15 inch quad core i7 3.1 ghz

16gb ram

1tb ssd

Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

It can't even play back a 4k file with no editing what so ever even on 1/8th res without having super choppy playback.

Can't believe this.

Any one know of a setting I can change?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what kind of 4k footage are you trying to read. For instance, 4k HEVC files from a Panasonic GH5 (for example) are super complicated to decode because of the compression rate and long gop structure of the files, and this needs a very powerful graphic card to be handled properly.

I've Googled the Radeon Pro 560, and it looks like it's performance are rather low for high end editing. So if you're working with hevc, you will have to transcode to an intermediate codec that is frame based (such as quicktime animation) rather than GOP based. You can also try with pro-res.

Side note: if you're using frame based codecs (the GH5 is one of the rare prosummer camera to offer that option btw), you will need a lot of disk space and bandwidth.

I do recommand working on separate disks, so even if you have an SSD, in your configuration your disk will be slower because it will need to read/write at the same time, compared as having a dedicated drive for source files, and one for system.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Seb. Recording Pro Res HD with an Atomos shogun recorder. I just bought FCP and it has no problem playing layers of these same 4k files. Something is off with the current release of premiere and its compatibility with this computer. Very annoying. I've been a devout Premiere user for a long time. I really hope this gets sorted. Hopefully this warns people thinking about getting this laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hum... Pro Res HD should definitely play nicely in CC2018 on your hardware.

Quick questions:

- when importing into FCP, does FCP "process" the file before (on import) ?

- in Premiere, when importing your 4k file, and creating a matching sequence, what color is the line right above your timeline? (should be green, yellow or red)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines