• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

high speed scrubbing (cs6)

Engaged ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where did the scrubbing dial go? is it gone? or hidden? i miss it =( i also don't like the fact the zoom in feature has changed. but not as annoying as the scrubbing. so is scrubbing axed? (i realize you can do it with the playhead, but i liked the dial better.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Have you actually *tried* the JKL..?  It doesn't sound like you have.  2x/4x/8x is built in - hit L once, regular playback speed; hit it again, 2x; and so on.  Also, if you need to temporarily slow down, try this:  hit & hold the L key until you hit a region of interest, then (again, while the L key is down) hold down the K key at the same time.  Playback speed gears down into frame stepping.  Let go of K again: regular playback speed resumes. You can also use the K paused state in tandem with t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 164 Replies 164
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven Pribilinskiy wrote:

This problem about the jog/shuttle control is rediculous.

This is sooo stupid to remove an application feature.

Sorry you feel that way. Most people are happy with what we've done. Keep in mind, no modern NLE even has jog/shuttle controls, and not many used them in the Product Improvement Program. Again, we knew certain existing users wouldn't be happy. I apologize to those people.

There's a lot of Menu options in Main Menu and Context Menus and Panel Context Menus. Let's say I will never use the Fields Menu, and it takes two Menu items, a Separator and the Fields submenu. I will not send a Feature Request to remove it, because I know that some user may need it.

Yes, but a feature like that doesn't have real impact on the interface as a larger set of controls were. As you know, we really wanted a much cleaner UI for Premiere Pro CS6.

I never used the jog/shuttle, but I would not be irritated by a Menu Item Checkbox in Monitor's Context Menu called "Show Jog and Shuttle Controls"

Anything is possible with software code. Please make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

The JKL/Shift+JKL could be a bit enhanced

A settings could be added in Preferences Playback section.

Let go of K again: regular playback speed resumes

Why it resumes at regular speed 1x and not on the current speed? This should be an option.

Again, a feature request would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

much cleaner UI for Premiere Pro CS6.

Non-sense.

Customizable Multi-Line Toolbar - users still have an option to clutter the UI

UI.jpg

I apologize to those people.

Those people are Adobe's revenue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin

I truly admire your diplomacy and control.

You are are better man than I Gunga Din ... (Rudyard Kipling)

Cheers

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gunga Din.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DavidNJ wrote:

Kevin,

CS6 created an option to hide the buttons, which was made the default, and to customize the buttons.

Yes, that's what our users wanted: customizability.

So the claim that it saved screen space is false,

As far as I can see, it saved a ton of space. One line of buttons as a default, instead of two. The option to remove all buttons is really cool. No other NLE has that.

the users who didn't want it didn't have to have it and wouldn't have it as the default. Those who did want it were screwed.

Sometimes companies change software for the greater good. In that process, it is extemely difficult to satisfy everyone. We found thorough empirical evidence (feature requests, the Product Improvement Program, etc.), that most users simply do not use these controls—not all users, most users. Removing the controls and buttons which few people use was a great idea for removing clutter. Avid removed their jog/shuttle controls for Media Composer, as did Apple for FCP X. No modern NLE even has jog/shuttle controls.

"Premiere Pro is built for professional video editors", and your point is?

My point is that professional editors expect an interface which can get the job done, but won't get in the way in the process. A clutter filled interface definitely gets in the way. We've gotten plenty of negative feedback about our interface in past versions. For NLEs, buttons and controls that are in the way should be removed in favor of keyboard shortcuts or as a customizable piece.

A second point is that we are in the software business. We need to make a profit to continue creating Premiere Pro for you and everyone else. We need to get new users into every release, or we won't survive as a company. To attract new users, we want to offer them the best experience possible. We won many awards at NAB for Premiere Pro CS6, and many new users are coming in droves to Premiere Pro. In fact, we're setting records! My feeling is that we made the right decisions.

Premier Pro is used by lots of people who use it professionally as PART of their work. If you only sold to people who used it for over 50% of their work my guess is Premier Pro  would have a very small market.

We create Premiere Pro for professional editors, much like Photoshop is created for professional photographers. Catering to the pro market is one of our core strengths. However, we're only too happy that customers use our other products to enhance their work and who aren't full time users of one product or another. That's what forums, help, and video tutorials are for.

We know JKL, we don't like it.

Are you sure you know JKL technique? If so, I'm very sorry you don't like it, but most editors work that way exclusively. Let me write a blog that shows the technique. Touching the mouse as little as possible speeds up workflow. And we all want to work more reliably, don't we?

It is far easier to move around with a mouse than remember 40 keystroke combinations.

It's easier, but certainly not faster or more efficient. I've got far more than 40 shortcuts at my fingertips. My goal is to never touch a mouse, or pull down a menu. I'm not the only editor that feels this way.

For example, moving between multiple tracks with multiple clips of video and audio, the program window, the project files, the trim window, the source window, right mouse click menus and subsequent dialogs (such as the frame rate window). Then moving to other parts of the app such as Audition and Media Encoder, in addition to Photoshop and Illustrator. Or Dreamweaver or Flash.

Right now, you do need to use the mouse for certain functions in Premiere Pro. My hope is that in upcoming versions, I'll never need to touch it. For example, I can edit from start to finish in FCP or Avid without a mouse.

Keystrokes are not an option.

I'm sorry to disagree. For me, keyboard shortcuts are everything.

Taking away an important feature for NO BENEFIT TO ANYONE since it was already optional in the new interface was a bad decision.

No need to shout here. I suggest you make a feature request. If you've already done so, you've done your best. Nothing more can help you add the controls back as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that even with all affected users filing a feature request, it will still not range high enough in priority to gain a lot of development support

I would guess the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's like removing all the buttons from the front of a AV receiver, "because most people use the remote"...

You seen the styling of Blu-ray players recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reporting back after using CS6.01 on a few projects. I can say that I and 2 fellow editors here are not happy that the Jog and shuttle are not optional. Verbatim response was "Why would they do that?"

I've already filed a feature request, but it's hard to communicate tone in a feature request. Three out of three professional editors here were unhappy with the change.

Following the gist of the Adobe employee posts here, it seems this was an edict from someone who is never wrong. So there is no chance of it being restored, but by all means feel free to note your dissent.

I think that stinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the gist of the Adobe employee posts here, it seems this was an edict from someone who is never wrong. So there is no chance of it being restored, but by all means feel free to note your dissent.

I think that stinks.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I actually do not disagree. Myself and other employees have said that we miss the old shuttle/jog controls too. But it was a decision that has already been made for non-arbitrary reasons so we have accepted that reality and many of us have found that JKL works quite well once we got used to it.

And yes, do feel free to note your dissent as you see fit. If you've been around in the industry a little while, you'll well remeber that at one point Premiere left the mac entirely and then came back a few years later. I'm not syaing that that is necessarily going to happen with shuttle/jog, or that it even should, necessarily. (I have no insider info one way or another on that, trust me) But stranger things have happened as a result of user demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JLK isn't even close. It was totally arbitrary: no one got any advantage by removing jog and shuttle. The justification is poor market research. It would be great for them to document how JLK and jog/shuttle were instrumented in the "improvement program". If that was public it alone would probably show the fallacy of their research.

My guess is this is something that needs a little more light thrown on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

You still have not provided the statistics from your own survey of Premiere Pro users that led you to the conclusions you have espoused.

Frankly, if you don't produce your results, I have to assume that only a doctor with a flashlight can find the source of your data.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sine my last post here, I have not read many of the posts since then but here is what I have been thinking:

1) Adobe sucked up all of the FCP editors that were jumping ship to anything non-Avid; so, the only potential NEW customers are those old Avid editors who are accustomed to keyboard only editing. Guess what Adobe is trying to do - make everything done with the keyboard just like Avid so Adobe can try to attract new Avid converts.

2) *IF* the Shuttle was not being used in ANY NLE, then why are companies making products that center around the Shuttle control? Let's see: there is Bella who makes great keyboards with a Shuttle ring built in and they tout it as one of its key strengths. Then there is Contour Design who makes the "Shuttle Express" and the "ShuttlePRO v2". What? A Version 2? That means they sold enough of the original version to make a 2nd Version. I guess no one IS using the Shuttle control in their NLEs anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I posted this before but just in case it got lost in the thread, you CAN use the mouse wheel to shuttle in the program and source windows. Very accurate, and you can use the SHIFT key to speed up the shuttle as well.

Just another option for mouse editors who miss the shuttle controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore, I have a Logitech Mouse, this one: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/marathon-mouse-m705

it have a button near the Wheel, called "Hyper-fast scrolling" - when you need to scrub a lot with the mouse wheel, it's much faaaaaster than wheeling with a regular mouse and no need to hold the Shift button because you have both precision and speed under control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since the OP marked this thread as answered over a month ago, and since the discussion has gone on for quite a while without anything new being added, I am locking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines