• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I set the default behaviour of the RAZOR tool to ALWAYS cut through all tracks instead of 1?

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select the razor tool it cuts but only cuts the clip and linked audio of the clip I click on. If I hold down shift it will cut through all the tracks and all the audio at that point in the timeline no matter how many clips or audio tracksIs there a way to make this the default behaviour and make shift+click the way it is now.

Also, I thought there was a way to set "active tracks" so the razor tool will always cut anything in audio or video tracks with a single click? I can not seem to work it out.

Basically I have a number of clips and audio that I wish to edit, so they are always in sync.. so one cut needs to cut all. Through I do not want to have them all linked as it makes it hard to do the various other edits. So I need a way to quickly cut through all the tracks somehow.. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

What am I doing wrong?

By @abUSER23

Hold and press the Shift key when you click. When the Shift is pressed the razor tool will cut all clips no matter if they are targeted or not. Targeting tracks comes in to play when you use keyboard shortcuts to cut, such as Ctrl+K.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

If no track and no clip is selected ctrl+K will cut through all clips.

If no tracks are selected and just one clip, ctrl+K will just cut that selected clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to target all the tracks:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/source-patching-track-targetting.html

By @Peru Bob

Thanks.. but I think I must be doing something wrong. I have the tracks "targeted" by the blue boxes on the right, as shown in the second video you linked to me... but then I press C for the razor tool and click on the timeline and it only cuts the single clip that I am clicking on no matter what track the video and audio is in.

As I understand it from your reply and that video (which dose not demonstarte cutting btw) that all I need to do is click the left blue boxes in the tracks and then the cut should "target" all those tracks.... is that correct?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What am I doing wrong?

By @abUSER23

Hold and press the Shift key when you click. When the Shift is pressed the razor tool will cut all clips no matter if they are targeted or not. Targeting tracks comes in to play when you use keyboard shortcuts to cut, such as Ctrl+K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What am I doing wrong?

By @abUSER23

By @Averdahl

Thanks.. as I said in the OP, I already knew about the shift+click... but you are saying that the actual cut tool I am looking for is "ctrl+k"... not "c"... and it is "ctrl+k" that uses the "targeted tracks" options I have been told about in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. as I said in the OP, I already knew about the shift+click... but you are saying that the actual cut tool I am looking for is "ctrl+k"... not "c"... and it is "ctrl+k" that uses the "targeted tracks" options I have been told about in this thread?

By @abUSER23

O.k, got it. 

Targeting tracks come in to play when for example using Ctrl+K to cut. If no track is targeted Ctrl+K will do nothing, if only V1 is targeted only V1 will be cut when using Ctrl+K, if V1+A1 is targeted only V1+A1 will be cut when using Ctrl+K, etc, etc.

One need to be on the edge when editing with unlinked clips since it is so easy to by mistake cause A/V sync issues. Ripple Trim is a good friend in those cases. (...in all other cases as well.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If no tracks are selected and just one clip, ctrl+K will just cut that selected clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ripple Trim is a good friend in those cases. (...in all other cases as well.)

By @Averdahl

I like to delete with shift+del and it dels the selected clips and moves eveything back to the play head line thing... is this a "ripple trim"? If not .. what is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averdahl_0-1647259869731.png

By @Ann Bens

Yes, you are 100% correct. 

I like to delete with shift+del and it dels the selected clips and moves eveything back to the play head line thing... is this a "ripple trim"? If not .. what is it?

By @abUSER23

Yes, Shift+Delete performs a ripple delete a.k.a. ripple trim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend NOT using the razor tool, it's imprecise and a slow way to work. map 'add edit' to a keyboard shortcut instead. I have it mapped to the Y key so I can hit it with my p9nky when J-K-L ing around the timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend NOT using the razor tool, it's imprecise and a slow way to work. map 'add edit' to a keyboard shortcut instead. I have it mapped to the Y key so I can hit it with my p9nky when J-K-L ing around the timeline

By @Ronsuss

is "add edit' the ctrl+k thing people are talking about in this thread?.. what does "J-K-L" do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend NOT using the razor tool,

By @Ronsuss

Each user has its own workflow. The razor tool works flawless for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to Sequence > make sure "linked selection" is checked.

This happened to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines