• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I trim only the selected clip on a timeline with a shortcut key?

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the shortcut "Ripple trim next edit to playhead", but I am looking for a shortcut that will only trim the current track that I have selected. Is that possible in Premiere?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved out of the Forum Lounge (no technical support is available there) and to the Premiere Pro forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have stated, if you select any track--here are some ways of trimming clips:

Trim Previous Edit to Playhead (Opt/Alt+Q)

Trim Next Edit to Playhead (Opt/Alt+W)

Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead (Q)

Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead (W)

If you go into Trim Mode (T), you can use Opt/Alt+Left or Right Arrow to trim a specific clip as well. If you are not in Trim Mode, you can always use:

Select Nearest Edit Point as Trim In

Select Nearest Edit Point as Trim Out

But these are usually not mapped, so you'll have to into Keyboard Shortcuts and map this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristian, thanks so much for the reply. I stated the question wrong. I meant clip and not track. Is there a way that I can select a clip on the timeline and only trim that clip and none of the others that aren't selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you left-click on any individual clip with a mouse--that will select only that clip. Usually you need an initial selection of any one clip on the timeline before using shortcut keys. Then you can use keys like:

Select Previous/Next Clip (Up/Down Arrow Keys)

..To select individual clips using shortcut keys. To select individual edit points, you can always use things like this as well:

Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple In

Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple Out

Select Nearest Edit Point as Roll

Select Nearest Edit Point as Trim In

Select Nearest Edit Point as Trim Out

Once again, many amazing features in Premiere remain unmapped and require you go into Keyboard Shortcuts and map them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lock all the other tracks except the one you are working on.

There are Short cut commands Lock/Unlock All Audio Tracks and Lock/Unlock all Video Tracks in the Keyboard Shortcuts.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 8.49.33 AM.png

I don't remember if they have short cuts assigned by default or if I added the short cuts. They are mapped to the numeric keypad.

So  - If I want to trim one clip in a mess of tracks, I lock them all then unlock only the track I want to work on.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for all of the replies, I really appreciate it... Is this really the answer? That I have to lock all of the other tracks? I just want to trim the clip or clips that are selected? I just want to make sure. It seems pretty silly if so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handing same issue not liking this at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to hear your suggested operation of PrPro that would make it "aware" of whether the editor wants to trim one clip or the entire "stack". Any useful items are of course worth a bug/feature request.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You select a clip or maybe even more than one. You hit a keystroke and it trims only the selected clips. It works this way in other editors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, to trim the entire timeline you then have to click all the other tracks also?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you would select all (ctrl+A) and then keystroke to trim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, interesting idea.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere doesn't need to be "aware". For instance now Q maps to "Ripple Trim Previous Edit To Playhead", Opt+Q "Trim Previous Edit To Playhead". Add one more modifier for a command like "Trim Previous Clip Edit To Playhead" and another for "Ripple Trim Previous Clip Edit To Playhead". Ex. Cmd+Opt+Q or Ctl+Opt+Q. And then the user could map it however they like, but at least the commands would be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the suggestion in the UserVoice area ... which goes to the engineer's systems and to the upper managers via a collated list. Suggest others you know up-vote it on UserVoice.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature service: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these are what I am asking. Any regular clip I am trying to grab the end and drag it in and it's not letting me if I command click it makes an insert cut and bumps the footage down. I know in other editors it does that but for some reason something as simple as grabbing the end and dragging it to trim the size of he actual region is not possible. Also dragging a clip does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused, are you asking a question on my thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is still no answer for this question yet. I have the same question. Why don't Adobe give us decide which clip to trim by select the clip instead trim all the track (using shortcut Trim edit to playhead). Please answer and do some actions, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To cut one or more selected clips, use the Ctrl + K combination, and short only the selection.

Or did I misinterpret the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + K is just add edit shortcut. I mean the shortcut for these series of action: cut the selected clip then delete the clip before the play head. It is similar to the shortcut Trim edit to playhead, but the different is trim edit to playhead is trim all the track and layer at the playhead. What I want to ask is can we apply that to only the selected clip. I know that you can answer that lock or toggle all others track, but it's quite ‎clunky‎. Any other suggestion than that. I really appreciate that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, cut the selected clip and then delete the clip before the playback head, for me it would be Ctrl + K - Delete.

To use Ctrl + Alt + Q, Ctrl + Alt + W, the selection that is not in the videos, is in select Toggle the track targeting for this track.

The videos without being selected will be cut.

It's my point of view,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that seem like the only work around for now. Why don't Adobe design Trim edit to playhead work only for the selected clip. I wonder how many time other editor want to trim all their tracks. I believe trim selected clip is more often than trim all the tracks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trimming clips in Adobe Premiere Pro CC

if your request is not in the link, try to raise your voice to Adobe feature request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks. I will request the feature. Hope this can reach Adobe soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still not possible? I just came across the same thing, and it doesn't wanna go into my mind how all my clips get trimmed if i press Q, W or Shift+Q and Shift+W. It doesn't make any sense... If i want all the Clips to be trimmed, or more than one, i just select more than one, but if i only select one, it should only trim one... Does that really not make sense? This would help alot with animation subtitling where you create text boxes that just appear for a fraction of some seconds sometimes so you can set markers on the waveform of the audio and then just jump through the markers, select the subtitle word and just trim in and out on the markers. Right now if you have overlapping subtitles it just trims all of them which doesn't make any sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines