Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Animate A Sequence With Off-Screen Content

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...

I'm playing around with Premiere Pro (I'm a long-time Vegas Pro user) and I haven't been able to figure out how to animate a whole sequence.

I'm working on a video wall, where there is a 6x6 grid of videos.

Only 5x5 of the videos are visible and 1 column and row are off-screen.

The animation is to have that video wall slide to where the opposite 1 column and row are off-screen.

I couldn't figure out a way to open the sequence in the Effect Control window.

I tried right-clicking on the sequence, in the Project window, and Make Sequence From Clip.

I tried selecting all the clips, in the Timeline window, and Nesting them.

I tried selecting all the clips, in the Timeline window, and Make Subclip.

In all those attempts, it created a sequence that I could use as a clip, in a new sequence, that I could animate.

The problem was that, when I moved the position of the clip (the original sequence), the off-screen row and column stayed invisible.

I will note that I was able to do this, quite easily, in Vegas Pro.

I just created an extra track above the others and set it as a Compositing Parent (by selecting the other tracks and making them Compositing Children).

Then, I was able to animate the parent track with Parent Motion.

I also tried right-clicking the clips, in the Timeline window, and Group.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem to do anything other than link them for sliding around the timeline.

So, how's a guy supposed to do this in Premiere Pro?

Thanks for any assistance you can give...

JJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Yes, because when you nest the elements of your wall, the nest takes on the dimensions of the sequence it is generated in and excludes anything not visible in that sequence.

If you are certain you want to use Premiere for this and not AE, then create a new sequence that has pixel dimensions that include all rows of your wall (nothing is "off screen" - for example 2220 x 1080px. Once you build that sequence, drag that sequence into your edit sequence with the standard dimensions - 1920 x 1080. It

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to show some screenshots of what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vegas Pro:

Beginning of animation

Screenshot (2).png

25% of animation

Screenshot (3).png

50% of animation

Screenshot (4).png

75% of animation

Screenshot (5).png

End of animation

Screenshot (6).png

Premiere Pro:

Complete sequence

Screenshot (7).png

Showing off-screen items

Screenshot (8).png

Clip from sequence doesn't show off-screen content when moved.

Screenshot (9).png

Let me know if you need any additional details.

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work backwards: start on screen and make it off screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, because when you nest the elements of your wall, the nest takes on the dimensions of the sequence it is generated in and excludes anything not visible in that sequence.

If you are certain you want to use Premiere for this and not AE, then create a new sequence that has pixel dimensions that include all rows of your wall (nothing is "off screen" - for example 2220 x 1080px. Once you build that sequence, drag that sequence into your edit sequence with the standard dimensions - 1920 x 1080. It will appear as a nest which you can then move about as you wish.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a crap way of doing it, but it does work.

I had my sequence settings at 1920x1080 with each video being positioned for 384x216 and 20% scale (no readily visible option to define direct size).

When I changed the size of the sequence, I assumed it would just make it wider and taller.

Then, everything would show up.

Instead it resized everything to be 20% of the new size.

I had to resize and move every item.

I'll have to play around with After Effects and see if it is a more logical workflow.

I'm not getting won over, from Vegas.

Hehehe...

I tried the same task in Davinci Resolve and I really didn't like it.

I couldn't even figure out how to make the video wall.

I'm going to try HitFilm and see if I like it better.

Unfortunately, the 4 track limit is keeping me from trying Media Composer First.

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Every editor prefers the software they are most familiar with.

Premiere Pro has limited compositing options as it has historically been paired with After Effects - and After Effects is designed to carry that load.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there

This would a million times easier in After Effects. Premiere is not really made to do this kind of thing.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Motion Array has the Gallery Wall Slideshow Premiere Pro template that is similar in concept, so it must be possible.

It's possible that After Effects would be easier.

Of course, I don't know After Effects.

Hehehe...

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines