• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply a transition (fade in then out) on open captions ?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I can‘t find how I can make have my captions appear and disappear progressively instead of suddenly. I think it‘s called fade in and fade out transitions, which i know how to apply for a video, but not on captions.

Thank you,

Louis

[Please do not double post, other thread deleted by mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use photoshop to do titles and captions etc... and do the opacity stuff with those images ( files have just text with no background). Is tricky due to having to make a sort of template ( layers you can turn on and off as needed in photoshop) to get the right positioning in your frames. Takes a lot of time though. Probably a better and faster way to do that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answear,

I m sorry I forgot to write I use Premiere pro CC (2017). After searching more, I think, like you said, that it has to do with opacity but I still don’t see how to apply it on captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transitions doen work op captions. You have to keyframe opacity for each caption in the Effect controls.

To make things easy you can make a preset first. One for in and one for out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just came up with a quick and easy solution:

In Premiere Pro 2021 you can't select a caption clip alone and make it into a nest but captions can be included in a nest if you've selected a video clip as well. So it's easy on a fade out, for instance, to create a nested clip that includes your last clip of video as well as it's related caption and then fade both out together the same way you'd fade out the video alone. But...

If you just want the caption to fade out as the video continues at full opacity, put any other video clip (a color clip works fine) above the "real" video and set the opacity of that clip to zero. Nest it with the caption you want to see fade out and then add a fade (or any other transition or effect) to it. When you play back the sequence and it hits that nested clip which includes the caption, you'll see the caption alone fade out. Same works for fading in a caption.

If you want to add an effect to your caption - a glow, for instance - just nest it with a zero-opacity clip and apply the effect to the nested clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines