• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to correct illegal brightness

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I was wondering if anyone can advise me on how to correct illegal brightness (I see using the Lumetri scopes that a shot or two is too hot).  Is there filter in premiere pro that can be used?  In FCP 7 I used a LUMA filter.  Is there something like that in PP?

Thank you:)

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Matthew,

have a look at the effects -> Color Correction -> video limiter, but to get just correct luma-range try to use -> color correction -> brightness & contrast.

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks Jo:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An issue with Lumetri and "illegal" or above-99 brightness is that neither the Basic nor Creative tabs are by design allowed to push signal above 99 ... nor, rather crucially, to pull signal back down from above 99 (on that left-side 0-100 scale for Parade & Waveform).

That second bit is very key to your situation ... you can use the Curves tab and the Luma control sliders for the Color Wheels to do so ... however ... remember that Lumetri (like all effects in PrPro's collection) is incredibly linear in application.

So the Basic tab is applied before the Creative tab ... which is before the Curves ... etc.

Bring those illegal values down in Curves, then go back to Basic tab. Suddenly, the illegal values pop right back up there, and now ... there's an incredible "banding", a huge break in the Histogram or Waveform (Luma) between the values "locked" above 99 and those you've pulled down to maybe 80 or so. As in ... nothing in between. At. All.

I've spent hours mucking about with this ... and realistically, if you bring over-brights back down (or super-darks up!) using Curves or Color Wheels, you can't use Basic and Creative tabs on those clips. Rather irritating ... and limiting.

So I've at times used the RGB Curves effect, dropped on a clip and then dragged above Lumetri in the ECP, then adjusted it while watching the Lumetri scopes, to get the tops of the three colors back within "legal" bounds, and any super-darks up also. THEN ... I can use the entire Lumetri controls as normal.

Recently, I just made adjustments with a Curves tab work, on a "clean" clip that had some of the typical range of over-brights/super-darks I work with, then exported that as a .cube from Lumetri, named it " 1 highs-darks rolloff " so it would sort to the top of any list, and saved it in the Adobe/Premiere Pro 2017/Lumetri/LUTs/Technical folder.

Now ... any clip showing illegal values, I use the Input LUT slot of the Basic tab to apply that .cube file, quick & easy as it's at the top of the list ... and I can then do any and alll work I wish to do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simplest solution is apply LEVELS Effect.

His contains Parameters for RGB  , Highlights , Gammas, Shadows etc etc

Applying it wil automatically clamp highs at 100n befor eyou use any parameters tha yo neen.

DO NOT USE ...

Video limiter,it really sucks because it is a "key effect"

...and color correction -> brightness & contrast is a bit of a crude tool as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines