• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Crop and Auto Resize a video? (Photoshop Style)

Explorer ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a video with 2 boarders that I want to crop out. The boarders are straight, horisontal and are located on both the top and bottom of the video. I want to crop out just the boarder, like a clean cut, pixel perfect. But I dont know how. I tried using the Crop effect. But it leaves behind a black boarder, and it looks really ugly. There is a zoom option on the Crop effect, but all that does is stretch the video to cover areas that were croped and doesnt resize the resolution. I want a crop that resizes the resoluion like in photoshop while also being pixel perfect (Right on the seam where the boarder touches the video).
Is this possible? And if so, how to do it?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Premiere does not have this feature. If you're looking for pixel perfection, I would bring it into photoshop, measure and then set your sequence up to be that height (and whatever width it already is). Then bring your footage in and it should center and have the borders gone. (a boarder is somebody who rents a place).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian23023339vaqm,

Have you tried changing the vertical component of the Frame size under Sequence > Sequence Settings? This can help in uniformly cropping from the top & the bottom of the frame. 

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have. But the problem is, I dont know how many pixels to remove. I want pixel pefect cropping; cropping to the seam where the boarder touches the video. When you crop in Photoshop, you dont go to the Canvas size and turn down the height or width. You just crop and then Photoshop auto resizes the canvas for you. Does Premiere have this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does not have this feature. If you're looking for pixel perfection, I would bring it into photoshop, measure and then set your sequence up to be that height (and whatever width it already is). Then bring your footage in and it should center and have the borders gone. (a boarder is somebody who rents a place).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame premiere doenst have this feature. It would be really convenient if it did. Well. Ill use photoshop and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why crop, just scale the footage, and it will automatically fill the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expect they don't want to lose the width

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or set up a sequence that is equal to the footage minus the bars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that easy, because I dont know how many pixels the bars are in height

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that easy, because I dont know how many pixels the bars are in height

By @Julian23023339vaqm

Cheatsheet for aspect ratios.

https://www.wearethefirehouse.com/aspect-ratio-cheat-sheet

You can draw a template pixel perfect in the Ess. Graphics.

Dont use odd numbers, always even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AnnBens_0-1655031884503.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines