• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get an Adobe Panel Extension (CEP) dev'd on MacOS for Premiere to run on Windows?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a panel extension that works fine on MacOS, and when dropped into the extensions folder of PC appears in Premiere's menu Windows > Extensions, but does not run. The panel opens but that's it. No errors, just a dark panel.

I'm surprised it got that far that easily, but what does it take to get a panel extension developed for Mac fully running on Windows?

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Nope! Signed is signed. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

FWIW - this panel has debugger enabled which I typically make use of via Google Chrome.

This too works fine on Mac, but is not accessible in Win (See attached screen grab)

)Grab-DevTools.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

I take that back too.  Debugger problem solved!  Hadn't added the proper `localhost:xxxx` for the debugging port to the "Discover network targets" config. 

Grab-DiscoverNetworkTargets.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like the panel is unsigned; have you enabled PlayerDebugMode on your Mac? 

Windows enablement here: 

https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/Samples/tree/master/PProPanel#2-enable-loading-of-unsigned-panels

Yours to consider: It may be easier to distribute a signed .zxp of your panel; even if you don't want to distribute through Creative Cloud, CC Desktop installs command line utilities that can install signed panels. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/working-from-the-command-line.html

A command line is a little fiddly, but it's a little less fiddly than asking users to edit the Registry. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce, thanks for the followup!  Actually the panel is signed (using ZXPSignCmd on Mac).  That it didn't work on Windows made me wonder if it needed to be signed on a PC?  I wasn't able to find ZXPSignCmd for PC though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take part of that back.  Found a ZXPSignCmd for Windows.

Is it necessary to sign a panel on the destination platform (Windows vs Mac)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! Signed is signed. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that response showed up in the nick of time.  Saves me the trouble of testing.  Thanks!!!

BUT it means there's some other reason the exension that does work on Mac fails to do anything on Windows.

Testing that now.  Any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW - this panel has debugger enabled which I typically make use of via Google Chrome.

This too works fine on Mac, but is not accessible in Win (See attached screen grab)

)Grab-DevTools.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take that back too.  Debugger problem solved!  Hadn't added the proper `localhost:xxxx` for the debugging port to the "Discover network targets" config. 

Grab-DiscoverNetworkTargets.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All working -- debugging a panel extension created & signed on Mac, running on Windows.

Brilliant!  Thanks Bruce for the quick responses!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines