• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make adjustment layer affect only for one track? Please

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm using Premiere for many years but I got stuck with this.

I have a bunch of tracks with the video parts (music video) and I need to correct (color) some of these tracks with the Adjusment layer.

But the adjusment layer affecting for all the tracks below!(

Need your PRO help please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then please hop over to their UserVoice site, search for this feature and either add a vote to one or more requests or add a new, very specific request with rationale and use cases.

Then come back here and post a link, see if we can get people to upvote it. The upper managers (above the product teams) have a large say in what gets changed. They work from metrics ... and this is the one way we users have to get them metrics we woud like.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody.  I too would see this as a great feature, to be able to link an adjustment layer to only the first layer below, it would allow me to work much more fluidly.

That said...

Depending on your adjustment, you could use the select and paste.  It's old, but it works.  You need to build the adjustment into the effects on a clip, copy the clip on the timeline, and then select all the clips on the timeline and Paste Effects\attributes\properties (cannot remember which) rather than Paste.  This should apply the effect to all the clips on that track.

Downside: This has to be the first edit.  Basically, because it overwrites all the effects in all the clips, you'll have to perform all your common edits to one clip, then apply them to all the others using this paste style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not making any excuses for Adobe here, I think it is poor that you can't dedicate adjument layers to individual video layers and I'm in the same spot as you. Seeing as you can slice up the adjustment layer, I think I'm going to wait until I'm done my multicam selection then just cut out the adjustments when the camera switches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!

It´s quite simple.

1) Create a NEW SEQUENCE, and put the video to wich you want to apply the EFFECT or EFFECTS

2) Don´t edit this video, live it as is inside that sequence

3) Insert the NEW SEQUENCE in a track in your production and EDIT it as any video track

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, yes, that is "nesting".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The function you are talking about is actually in Premiere, just not in the way you might think.  IF you look at photoshop, the layers are vertically aligned in a single STACK.  The STACK is how they get to the next step in the processing. One stack is equivalent to one TRACK in PREMIERE.   But TRACKS are HORIZONTAL and stretch according to TIME in Premiere (and in the photoshop video editor).  You can NEST stacks in photoshop by placing layers in "GROUPS" that are like a folder of layers.  You can have groups within groups, etc.  You can apply effects at the layer, and at the group level.  The group level applies to the entire groups output.  The outer STACK only does this with the TOP LAYER if it's an adjustment layer, or you can group the entirety first, then apply effects to that total output.

In Premiere:

Tracks are transport wrappers that split the frame information, then apply any effects at keyframe markers.  An adjustment layer is a CLIP.  Don't argue.  Clips and frames go onto tracks for transport.  An adjustment layer goes onto a track with a special instruction set to the FRAMESERVER and an alpha channel video that grabs the video immediately below.  The alpha channel is a transparent video, like a blank film sheet for an overhead projector.  The effects that go onto it are translucent, as the pixels that show through are affected by any effect on the film, but continue to show through.

Just a thought:

You could apply the effect to the clip itself, within the track and copy\paste it to any other clips necessary.  (NOT MY RECOMMENDATION, just a thought)

For your given situation:

To get your desired setting (an adjustment layer on a single track), remember that an adjustment layer is a clip like any other clip or image you place onto a track.  The track is the train that takes it to the processing chips.  Open a new sequence, put your video clips you want the layer to affect onto one track, then put the adjustment layer on the top track above them.  Replace the clips in the track in your original sequence with the new sequence you just created; it will act and function like a single clip.

Faster route:

Highlight and rightclick the section you want to apply an adjustment to.  Now select NEST, which will open a new sequence with the selected clips.  Now you can apply the adjustment layer to the track above them.

I like this the way it is.  If you're looking for a more "my deadline is 10 minutes ago" software, pay $30 once for a cheap piece of software that'll leave your video a bit broken if you have VFR issues.  IF you're like me, the only part you're still looking for is the ability to render effects in the background.  I'll be asking about that in the feature forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To shorten my previous...

use control/cmd shift to select the clips, at select them another way, all from same track is best.

right click one of them, nest.  Now apply the fix in a nested sequence.  Won’t affect other tracks.  Yes it’s a one time fix.  I nest footage from different cameras tho way all the time.  It’s a quick way to fix color or add other effects to a single track.  Then I use the multi cam setup to switch.  Another way is to apply a color fix to all of them in prelude and teen code them all through ame or prelude, using a lut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEST with a clip and an adjustment layer placed there, or apply the desired effects to one clip, and then copy the effects to all subsequent clips by inserting attributes. This solution is more convenient and faster. As for creating a new sequence, and then moving it to the original one, an interesting option that I heard here. But, this is solely for expanding horizons, as it is not quite convenient. But, it deserves attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe crew, it has been created in 2013. Now is almost 2019 and nothing changed. Please add an ability to make the adjusment layer affect for only one track. It's simple and we need it. Nesting isn't a solution because I should see all the tracks and edits while working with adjustment layers, Please add this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the place for ideas/suggestions as this is designed as primarily a user to user tool for questions and answers.

To ask for or up-vote an idea, use the UserVoice system. All posts/votes there go directly to the engineers system and also to the upper managers who decide budgets and features.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The nesting seems to be the best option, however, I tend to avoid nesting because of the limitations. The best option would probably being able to pair of lock layers together. Like an option to pin to a layer. AE has a similar option with the null layer option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any tracks that are above the track that the adjustment layer is on will not be affected. So, you just need to rearrange the vertical order of your video tracks.

To do this, make a few empty video tracks, then use the track select tool and copy/paste the tracks in the proper vertical order. You want the track with  the adjustment layer to be above only the tracks with the clips that you want to be affected by it. For all the clips that you don't want affected, make sure that their tracks are above the adjustment layer track.

Thanks,

Alterius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiestway I found was to Nest the Adjustment Layer and the clip itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here we are 8 years later and still no option to either make an adjustement layer only affect the track beneath it, or be able to add effects directly to a track like the "audio track mixer" just for video.

I made a feature request which has  received zero engagement, if anyone want to support it I would be grateful!

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43652106-adding-effects-dir...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upvoted your suggestion, there are times this would be useful.

There is currently a quick & easy process to handle the part of your multi-cam suggestion. Simply apply the Lumetri correction to the Source tab of any clip of X camera. It will immediately be applied to ALL segments of that clip in any sequence in that project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, and thank you for your suggestion.

It is still troublesome if you have 3 different cameras recording a lot of clips during a long day on set, since I often change the grade multiple times and have to re-apply them to all clips.

What I do now is either:

1. First sync all cameras to timecode/sound, nest all clips from each camera accordingly and apply grade to the nested sequences, then nest again to create a multicam sequence where I change between the different cameras with the number keys.

2. Have the main camera on track 1 with adjustement layer on track 2, and other cameras on track 3 and 4. Then select every clip from each camera and paste grade accordingly. If I need to redo the grade I can select all clips and right click ---> Remove attributes, then paste the new grade on all the clips again.

Would be a lot easier to just apply a grade on track 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

Another example of where it would be useful is if I want to use the transform effect to move a bunch of clips allow graphic to be visible on the side.

As it is now I would have to nest all the clips that are to be moved, then use transform on the nested sequence, because if I apply it to an adjustement layer all the graphic underneath will also be moved with the clips above. This limits the ability to redo the edit in context, instead of being able to simply add an adjustement layer and make it only affect the track beneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good layout of the workflow. Yea, a track-level effects/grading option would be useful.

My interviews are probably simpler than yours ... so it's rather quick to dump a Lumetri preset on a selection of clips.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it still not in Premiere.. 😪

"Photoshop like" adjustment layers that affect only the track beneath it are so much needed...

Please upvote the request : https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43652106-adding-effects-dir...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just nest the adjustment layer and the track you want to apply the adjustment layer together and then place it where you want above or below. Hope it helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a good workaround in a lot of cases.

For example if you use 2 different cameras in a video, and have all the clips from cam 1 at layer 1 with an adjustement layer with LOG lut and some basic adjustmenets on layer 2, and cam 2 on layer 3. Here I would want the option to have an adjustement layer on layer 4, which only affects cam 2 on layer 3, so that when there is no clip on layer 3 and the underlying layer 1 is showing - the adjustment layer doesn't affect the clips on layer 1.

In this case you have 2 alternatives: Chop the adjustment layer up so that it is only on top of the parts where cam 2 is used, or nest the cam 2 clips and do the way you suggested.

If you chop up your adjustment layer, you will have to copy paste the changes done to all the different adjustment clips, everytime you make a change.

If you were to nest all the shots on layer 3 to get the grade to affect all the clips, you lose your ability to adjust the edit which might be synced with music in the main sequence, and you will have to jump in and out of the nested sequence which makes the whole workflow tedious.

In cases like these it would be hugely beneficial to just right click on adjustment layer -> affect only layer underneath, or something similar! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good comment and analysis.

I've gotten frustrated enough with AL use that I avoid them when possible, and use "Source Effects" whenever I can.

The advantage of using Source tab is that the work is applied to all other instances of any section of the full clip in that or any other sequence. Which is often a good way to quickly get all X clips so they mesh with Y clips.

The problem with Source effects of course is that the work is applied to all other instances of any section of the full clip in that or any other sequence. Which is not always what one wants, especially on other sequences in the project.

I've been pushing for getting an Ae-style pic-whip sorta capability within Lumetri for instance, so you could take an input from after say even before or after Basic tab for HSL, rather than from after the other tabs have been applied.

It would be near the equivalent of a parallel node or at least grabing a node input from another node out of node based apps.

But I have also asked that be applied to ALs ... one can always dream, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, adjustment layers are rarely used now, and frankly, they do not help in color correction, but only worsen it. I am in favor of the adjustment layer acting only on the layer below it, and not on all layers as it is now. Such a vivid example of working with layers in Photoshop. And it is precisely this specificity of his work that will be more useful. Rather, I would not completely exclude the possibility of its influence on all the layers under it, but would have the effect of switching the mode, which would make AL a more flexible tool and would allow solving more flexible tasks. You need to create a user vote and vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's helpful to have both behaviors available, isn't it?

As sometimes, you just want additional effects including but not limited to color applied to one clip. But other times, you want to apply say a show look to the entire scene or sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely right. We need to "break through" this topic and implement it in future updates. This has been asked for a long time on the forum and none of the engineers pays attention to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that none of the engineers pays attention to it. This all depends on what and where the directed budget for engineer activity is set for, the engineers don't decide such things.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines