Exit

Importing MP4

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone..

New member here..  Not a Professional, just an enthusiastic amateur

I've seem a lot of posts about importing MP4 into Premiere.. and different solutions.. of renaming files or converters..

I like to edit my smartphone Moto G cam videos in Premiere, and their MP4

As the quality isnt exactly 4k to begin with I try and keep it as best I can

Ive used a lot of converters that change it to xvid or similar, something that Premiere wont throw a fit at, but they allways loose a bit of quality no mater what I did.

I use the Mediainfo tool to check whats in the MP4 and I found it to be H264AVC..

I like the little simple tools like Mediainfo and Gspot. and I found one that sorts out MP4's very well.

It's called MP4Cam2AVI  (Google it) It's only about 5 meg. Goes very well alongside Mediainfo / Gspot and Sherlock.

It's just a little app that needs no install, and all it does is convert to MP4 and MOV to avi. But it doesnt do any recompression at all.

I dont know how it works but I guess it just changes the container format or something. It also uncompresses the audio.

It will convert MOV files as well even if you dont have Quicktime installed

It's not new but it's free.  it works around 20x real time.

Does batch conversion etc..

It can join clips, but i like the fact it can just cut chunks of footage out ready to edit in Premiere without any recompresion, and save them as avi.

It takes minuets and they just fall into Premiere no hassle. I set my profile at 1280 x 720 25fps AVC and I'm done and editing it at the same quality as the original.

The file sizes are also roughly around the same size as original too.

You'll find it on sourceforge..

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

I've found it a lifesaver if you just want a free, quick and simple fix for MP4

Hope that is of some help to some..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John, thanks for sharing your tip.

I'm wondering: are you having idfficulties to edit your mp4 file directly inside Premiere Pro? Because if it just remux the files, I'm curious as how much it improves your worflow inside Premiere!

Cheers,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines