• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to create a timeline that's exactly 24 hours long (not 23:58:33:16)?

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a 24-hour-long video. It has to be exactly 24 hours. It seems the maximum timeline length is 23:58:33:16. Is it possible to create a 24-hour-long timeline ?

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2017.0.1 v 11.0

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 2.18.36 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

You have an older version of PrPro which I am not using so I can't try it and tell you for sure what to expect. (that screenshot with the yellow highlights and bumpy scrollbars does not look like 2017.n to me)

First of all, unless you really have 24 hours of meaningful frames to show, the right way to do this is to edit your actual content as needed and then use a loop setting for continuous playback. But if you really need one continuous, 24-hour-and-zero-frame video, then...

1. Make sure your se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have an older version of PrPro which I am not using so I can't try it and tell you for sure what to expect. (that screenshot with the yellow highlights and bumpy scrollbars does not look like 2017.n to me)

First of all, unless you really have 24 hours of meaningful frames to show, the right way to do this is to edit your actual content as needed and then use a loop setting for continuous playback. But if you really need one continuous, 24-hour-and-zero-frame video, then...

1. Make sure your sequence is set to use a non-drop-frame timecode like 24.00 or 30.00 frames per sec (as opposed to 29.97, which will shorten the real duration over time)

2. If final playback is to be done from within PrPro, then edit the content out past the 24-hour mark and then trim or cut the last clip in to end at the right frame.

3. If playback is to be done outside of PrPro, then again edit the content past the 24-hour mark and then choose an out point of 24.00.00.00 for the exported file.

That said, you may have bigger problems getting this done. It looks like Pr's timeline will stop showing frames after about 23:55... and you cannot zoom out or scrub the playhead, our even scroll over past that point. This is the part I can't verify for you because we're not using the same version. A bug could maybe be logged against it if you see the same problem on a current version, but it's unlikely to get much attention since 24-hour-long videos are not a very common workflow. How would you even export or publish something like that? If it were a regular many-hours-long production (like a tv or webcast series) it would just be a bunch of shorter sequences, edited and published separately, which Pr can handle quite well.

It's an interesting problem though, maybe this will help: https://www.fastcocreate.com/3022066/how-pharrell-and-a-cast-of-hundreds-got-happy-for-a-24-hour-int...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch, jstrawn. I took the screenshot on my laptop, which has an older version. But I'm actually editing on my iMac using the most current version.

I really am making a 24-hour-long video. Here's a link to the project, if you're interested: <https://www.marktribe.net/new-nature/>.​ Yes, exporting is a challenge. I'm going to show it on a large, 4K display using a BrightSign media player.

I'll try your suggestions in the current version and reply again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news: it doesn't stop showing frames after about 23:55, and I can zoom, scrub, etc.

I love Pharrell's 24-hour-long happy video.

FWIW, I don't want to make multiple shorter clips and string them together using a media player. I want to make a single, 24-hour-long clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark:

I'm curious.

Are you just looking for a way to review all of your footage in one Timeline or are you assembling a cut that will play back for 24 hours at a time?

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shot 24 hours, and the final product is 24 hours long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the difference between drop frame time code and nondrop frame timecode? What kind of code is your sequence set to?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are free software apps that can stitch together multiple .mp4 files, so you would be able to break the Premiere sequences into smaller, more manageable chunks, export those chunks, then join them into one final program at full length

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've thought of that. Will do if necessary, but I'd prefer not to.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the clips are not strung together in the media player, there is software that combines them all into one nice long clip as if you made the clip 24 hours to begin with.

I don't believe that changing the sequence frame rate to 24 is the right solution when the source video is 23.976 - funky things are going to happen to the output as the encoder tries to change the frame rate, and that can exponentially increase render time as well. Better rethink that solution.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh oh. I wasn't sure about changing the frame rate. Any other opinions on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never actually said what FPS your source footage is, only that the sequence was 23.976, and is it even all the same? The sequence will match to whatever the fist selected clip was when you created it, and even then only if you accept the option to match to footage. But assuming that your footage is all 23.976 then it's true that putting that into a 24.00 sequence would not be best practice, although the mismatched frames would probably be really hard to spot over a 24-hour-long clip. If you want to avoid that editing faux pas, then I do think you'll need some kind of third party tool to put the pieces together for you in the end. You may need to export in pieces anyways... I've tried 12 hour exports but not 24, so I can't promise it will even work, at least not right out of Pr's export setting dialog. (AME may be more robust for that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My source footage was all shot at 23.976. Sounds like I'd best export in pieces and then use a 3rd party application to assemble them.

Has anyone tried MP4 Joiner?

Any other recommendations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've used MP4 Joiner, seems to work fine

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sequence was set to 23.976. I just changed it to 24 and we were able to extend the timeline to a full 24 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines