• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to get a specific font to display in your project file regardless of computer being used?

Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator you can create outlines from your text so if you are using a font that is not available on a different computer the project will open up and look the same on the other computer. Is there anything like this in Premiere? What do you do if you are using a specific font and need to work on multiple computers with your project file?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Hi,

I don't think Premiere has this option.

After Effects can do it, has it create outlines from text.

I don't know if it can fit your needs.

If it's not subtitles, maybe you can use Photoshop and save it as a PNG or any format that preserve Alpha.

If it's not a very specific font you can use a font provided by Adobe that match the original font. You will have to simply load the font on the other computer.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't think Premiere has this option.

After Effects can do it, has it create outlines from text.

I don't know if it can fit your needs.

If it's not subtitles, maybe you can use Photoshop and save it as a PNG or any format that preserve Alpha.

If it's not a very specific font you can use a font provided by Adobe that match the original font. You will have to simply load the font on the other computer.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also import Illustrator data into premiere! 🙂 You do not limit yourself to Photoshop.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot do it in Premiere. You will need to install the font on every computer the project is going to be edited on.

The workaround riklard​ suggested through After Effects won't allow you to modify the text once the font is changed to an outline.

You can sync up to 100 fonts with typekit in your Creative Cloud subscription, so using Typekit fonts can ease the process, since every user will be able to sync it, and it will avoid rights issues.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Seb, If you outline like Illustrator in After Effects , you won't be able to change anything. You have to be sure that you won't have to change anything. As the question was not about editing but about having the same font on every computer, I gave this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned "You can sync up to 100 fonts with typekit in your Creative Cloud subscription, so using Typekit fonts can ease the process, since every user will be able to sync it, and it will avoid rights issues."

I was not aware of this. Does Typekit only synch Adobe fonts? Can it synch non Adobe fonts?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Typekit can use external fonts.

The best way is to provide the fonts beside your project. But be aware that some fonts could be not compatible from PC to Mac. You have to be sure that you use a font that will be compatible for both OS. Make a test before making the whole project with it.

If you can find a font very similar on TypeKit, this is the simplest way or just send the font by mail as it's a few ko.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typekit uses non Adobe fonts (for example Open Sans, that may also be accessed via Google Fonts) , but they need to be included with the Typekit package. There is no "user defined" Typekit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo  a écrit

Typekit uses non Adobe fonts (for example Open Sans, that may also be accessed via Google Fonts) , but they need to be included with the Typekit package. There is no "user defined" Typekit.

When I was saying Adobe fonts, I was meaning Front provided by Adobe TypeKit. For now you can't insert your own fonts for syncing with Typekit, what I think was the purpose of the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

riklard  wrote

For now you can't insert your own fonts for syncing with Typekit,

That's correct. I doubt that there will ever be a different approach, as Typekit is the tool Adobe uses to install fonts licensed to Adobe and sublicensed to the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When designing a project involving fonts you should "limit" yourself to the fonts commonly available or make sure, that all the involved parties have access to the fonts used. Typekit is available to CC subscribers. You can have concurrent access to some 100 fonts. But you can free up slots by unsyncing fonts that are not used currently.

You access Typekit via the CC app or adobe.com:

The best with Typekit is, that the application knows about the fonts used and may go looking for syncing the missing font automatically.

Vectorizing:

The final render of the film contains no more fonts and it's no more editable, so the problem is not the same as with Illustrator.

Even in Illustrator, vectorizing should be avoided according to Adobe and is even not necessary for logos. This is the optimistic view, I agree.

But when I have a print provider, who asks me for vectorized fonts in the case of a PDF, I know that they try opening my PDF with Illustrator and that they should not do that. But that is a little off topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines