Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jagged edges for new Essential Graphics Titler

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm running Premiere Pro 11.1.0 (222 Build).

I find that the Essential Graphics Titler is producing titles with more jagged edges as compared to the Legacy Titler. Same issue over a few machines. Is there a fix for this? See the screengrab attached.

(Above text is legacy, below is the new essential graphics.)

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 19.37.23.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KiraelyW,

Thanks for reporting this issue, I will surely look into this.

Which font are you testing with, have you tried with different fonts?

I also need information about your system specs & your OS details.

-Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kulpreet,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have access to my Mac Pro at work, but it should be a 2016 model. My Macbook Pro as follows:

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 21.55.19.png

Was using Roboto font, however tried a few others and seems to have the same aliasing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional information, KiraelyW.

I will research on this and will reply back.

-Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me here !

With the new essential graphics I have jagged edges but only on some titles in the same timeline. I used the exact same steps to create them but one is jagged and the other not... Even tried to duplicate the good one but when I place it gets jagged again.

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 14.06.35.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-14 at 14.06.48.png

Version of Premiere: 2017.1.1

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 14.11.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this same issue.  Zooming in to the program window at 200% reveals the hidden problem that you will find during render.  You can tell that they are not all the same quality and were made exactly the same and not modified.Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 11.48.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 11.49.48 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kiraelyw,

Sorry, you're having trouble with the quality of text graphics using the Essential Graphics panel.

I find that the Essential Graphics Titler is producing titles with more jagged edges as compared to the Legacy Titler. Same issue over a few machines. Is there a fix for this?

I am not seeing any issue with text quality and the Essential Graphics panel. I think your issue might be related to certain fonts. Do you experience this issue with all fonts or just some of them? Give us more details and we'll try to assist you through this problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to improve performance, Pr does not anti-alias Graphic layers during scrubbing and playback at Full Resolution. To see your text or other layers at High Quality (which is not the same as Full Resolution), expand the Program Monitor's settings menu (looks like a wrench) and check on High Quality.

HQplay.png

You can run this way to all the time if you wish, but you will lose some performance benefits as a result. So it may be best to leave HQ off, especially if you are working with long blocks of text or using many text, shape and clip layers together. It will not affect the render quality of your final export, but it will affect render previews for your sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience it happens no matter what font you're using and inconsistently with the same font.  It also happens in the final render. There's no issue in scrubbing or playback in the interface really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bammercole  wrote

In my experience it happens no matter what font you're using and inconsistently with the same font.  It also happens in the final render. There's no issue in scrubbing or playback in the interface really.

That's because anti-aliasing (or a lack thereof) looks slightly different per glyph and is also affected by a number of other appearance factors (font size, scaling, fill, drop shadow, etc).

Of course, I'm not saying that there is definitely no problem at all. Only that I have not seen any cases wherein Graphic Layers were exported without anti aliasing and Legacy Titles had anti-aliasing. I have seen cases where the exported quality looks rather poor due to the codec and other export settings, but in those cases, Legacy Tiltes are handled equally as poor. So, please if you still feel that you are experiencing a bug, export a short movie with two identical titles, one made with graphics, the other a legacy title. Then send me a full-screen picture of it to compare. Attached is an example I just made after exporting with a prores codec.

ProResExport.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New progress today with this bug, it seems to be related to when you're using any sort of drop shadow, although it's still not consistent in where it shows up.  I also tried rendering software only instead of using GPU and the problem was there both times.  I also started a completely new project with different graphics and fonts and the problem is still occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The jagged edges are expected in the Program Monitor, even after rendering the timeline, unless you have the High Quality Playback option turned on in the Program Mon settings. The timeline is always just a preview of your final movie.

I still have not seen any verified cases of jagged Graphic Text (compared to Legacy Title) for an exported movie. In this case we need to make sure we are all talking about the same thing when we use the word Render. Building Render preview files is much different than the render that happens when Exporting video. If someone has a case of an Exported video where Graphic Text looks poor but Legacy Title does not, that is something I would like to see. Below is another example I just made which looks ok (using Apple Pro Res 4444 codec in an mov wrapper).

NoJaggyText.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following are screengrabs from videos exported from Premiere's Exporter, H.264, 25Mbps

Adobe Legacy with drop:

_ADOBE_Legacy-drop.png

Essential Graphics but with the Drop Shadow applied on the clip using the Effects Drop Shadow effect:

_ADOBE_Effects-drop.png

Essential Graphics with Essential Graphics Drop Shadow:

_ADOBE_Essential-drop.png

Here they are all arbitraily zoomed together. There is clearly something wrong with this new tool. I am having problems reproducing this consistently. For example I have re-opened this project file today and in the timeline the text is no longer jagged but in the preview export window the text is jagged. Something is clearly wrong and should be fixed.

_ADOBE-zoomed.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a ProRes Clip example:

https://vimeo.com/223148958/0dfb418436

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 11.18.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keith_video  wrote

Here is a ProRes Clip example:

https://vimeo.com/223148958/0dfb418436

Thank you for the examples. I can see the problem and have what I need to file an internal problem report now. You can still file your own report using the wish form if you like. It's not necessary at this point, but it never hurts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It's clearly a bug. I hope you could fix it as soon as possible.

Untitled.jpegMental_color_EG.00_59_25_26.Still002.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still exists on newest release, any news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I was experiencing the same issue with jagged text created in Essential Graphics with Premiere 2018 (see example below, font: Lato)

The text looked jagged in both the program monitor and all sorts of renders/exports.

Jagged text:

Jagged text.png

I noticed that my sequence settings were set to "Editing mode: AVC-Intra 100 1080i."

Changing them to "Editing mode: AVC-Intra 100 1080p" fixed all existing jagged text.

You can also do this by changing the "editing mode" to "custom" and then under "Fields" selecting "No Fields (progressive scan)"

TLDR: Check your sequence settings to make sure that your editing mode is progressive.

Hope this helps, and you may want to duplicate your sequence before trying this, just in case.

-Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this... Saved me hours of wondering what In was doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huge fail Adobe. I just used this tool on a project for the first time. All text is jagged. I am using drop shadow so maybe that is part of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More tests.

This screen grab is from the Adobe Export Preview Window. Regardless of quality in the preview window the Essential Graphics is Jagged:

_ADOBE-Purple-back-export-window.png

Now, this is interesting. This is from the output of the Program Window's "Export Frame" function. Less jaggedness here.

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 11.04.00 AM.png

Adobe, what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with jagged edges in Essential Graphics here on a PC. In this image, the title was scaled up 150%, which seems to make the problem worse.  I can avoid using the scale function in the Effects window, now that I know it's an issue -- but why should it be an issue?

Capture.JPG

For comparison, here's a legacy title and a new "essential title." The aliasing is visible on the rounded edge.

ESSENTIAL GRAPHICS.jpg

Hope to hear some advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following thread, as I am finding the same behavior.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 12.04.17 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same behavior upon EXPORT. All graphics, no matter the font, have jagged edges when zoomed in. Doesn't matter whether I'm exporting ProRes or H.264. Never had this problem when I was using Premiere's title function these many years. Please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How's it going Adobe?

Texts do get really jagged lines AFTER export as well (just like it looks in preview) if you use shadow with the new essential tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines